N64 Picture quality

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:34 pm

C=Style wrote:It's been a while since I messed around with PC N64 emus but how well does Perfect Dark emulate now? cos if that's emulated well then I may have to give it a shot.
I have a dual core laptop with 2 gig of RAM (so not a cutting-edge set up by any means) and it runs smoothly enough. Most of the games run at a playable speed in fact, with only the odd bit of slowdown or glitching during cut-scenes. I still have my N64 and carts, but this is so much more convenient and the games really do look miles better.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:38 pm

OK thanks, my PC is only a P4 2ghz, 1gb ram with a crappy GeForce 256mb. Reckon it would it play well enough on mine?

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:45 pm

C=Style wrote:OK thanks, my PC is only a P4 2ghz, 1gb ram with a crappy GeForce 256mb. Reckon it would it play well enough on mine?
I have to be honest, mine sometimes seems to be wheezing a bit with the effort so probably not. But what the hell, give it a try - it's not like you've got anything to lose apart from half an hour of your time.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Ok thanks mate, doesn't sound hopeful then. Not played it since it was first released, but I remember it being damn good! 8)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:53 pm

davyK wrote:As said before the N64 does not support RGB SCART; nor is it a case of a mod - the circuitry just ain't there.

The only alternatives (ignoring co-axial that is ) is either component or S-Video.

S-video certainly makes things clearer - but on some games it makes the shading look less subtle; in others the blurring you get from component has gone
You're getting confused. Component doesn't blur, that's the whole point. Composite does.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:46 pm

Dudley wrote:
davyK wrote:As said before the N64 does not support RGB SCART; nor is it a case of a mod - the circuitry just ain't there.

The only alternatives (ignoring co-axial that is ) is either component or S-Video.

S-video certainly makes things clearer - but on some games it makes the shading look less subtle; in others the blurring you get from component has gone
You're getting confused. Component doesn't blur, that's the whole point. Composite does.
oops...you're right - meant composite. :oops:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:01 pm

C=Style wrote:OK thanks, my PC is only a P4 2ghz, 1gb ram with a crappy GeForce 256mb. Reckon it would it play well enough on mine?
Go right ahead and try. What do you have to lose? I play N64 emus regularly on an Athlon 1.6gHz with 1gb of ram and a geForce FX5200.

And it's fine.
Thoughts and prayers.