N64 Picture quality

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mr_hiccups

N64 Picture quality

Post by mr_hiccups » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I've recently replaced my CRT TV with an LCD HDTV. Most of my retro consoles look good on the new tv (connected using coax) but I can't get a decent picture from my N64 the colours are far too washed out. Has any one had a similar experience?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Sadly what you're discovering is that the N64 was just a bit crap and you now have a good TV :)

That said, find a good RGB SCART or preferably Component cable for it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Have you noticed a strange 'fooggy' effect too?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Dudley wrote:That said, find a good RGB SCART or preferably Component cable for it.
You could smear Vaseline on your new screen. But that might be messy. A bit.

Fer-De-Lance

Ninteand the logo came up on the screen smeando Display Tech

Post by Fer-De-Lance » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, I was looking at my Wii hooked up to the plasma the other day for a bit of Capcom goodness (I won't say which title - I'm a little ashamed - but let's just say it involves a small pirate called Zak) and the Capcom logo was smeared to hell in terms of its colour on boot up - via scart. A guess here but I think the larger the TV the more you might see the artifacts now?

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:17 pm

If your TV is anything like mine, you should be able to adjust the settings for each input. That way you can make the colours more saturated / more contrast etc. for the N64's input.

Trixta

Re: Ninteand the logo came up on the screen smeando Display

Post by Trixta » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:30 pm

Fer-De-Lance wrote:Well, I was looking at my Wii hooked up to the plasma the other day for a bit of Capcom goodness (I won't say which title - I'm a little ashamed - but let's just say it involves a small pirate called Zak) and the Capcom logo was smeared to hell in terms of its colour on boot up - via scart. A guess here but I think the larger the TV the more you might see the artifacts now?
why be ashamed, that is truely a great game which seems to have gone unnoticed by many

Fer-De-Lance

Post by Fer-De-Lance » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Trixta wrote:
Fer-De-Lance wrote:Well, I was looking at my Wii hooked up to the plasma the other day for a bit of Capcom goodness (I won't say which title - I'm a little ashamed - but let's just say it involves a small pirate called Zak) and the Capcom logo was smeared to hell in terms of its colour on boot up - via scart. A guess here but I think the larger the TV the more you might see the artifacts now?
why be ashamed, that is truely a great game which seems to have gone unnoticed by many[/quote

I bought Burnout Paradise at the same time- real manly stuff :) and good fun, especially online. But Zak and Wiki deserves to sell more than it probably will, it really is excellent gameplay. Shame so many gamers won''t see it like that and think it's a lightweight title for kids. Its not - it's pretty hardcore, and the best bit is it has all the fun of Monkey Island but on a level by level basis. Great stuff. People should buy more of this stuff and less FIFA street.. Which was sold out at Tesco's today... Typical...

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:00 pm

pal n64's ain't got rgb output, closest you'll get is s-video, or like dudley said component

then again the n64 pic quality was always a bit dodgy anyway

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:37 am

Yeah the N64 was real washed out and blurry. Go the S-Video route if your TV supports it as that's said to be quite an improvement over composite.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:47 am

Poor N64 :cry:

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:11 pm

As said before the N64 does not support RGB SCART; nor is it a case of a mod - the circuitry just ain't there.

The only alternatives (ignoring co-axial that is ) are either composite or S-Video.

S-video certainly makes things clearer - but on some games it makes the shading look less subtle; in others the blurring you get from composite has gone but it reveals how poor some of the textures are making a small number of games appear worse. In the main s-video is better but it's a matter of taste really.

Games that have aged rather well (wrt looks) and benefit particularly in my experience from s-video include:-

Banjo Kazooie,
Doom64,
Mario Tennis,
Majora's Mask,
Pokemon Puzzle League,
Pokemon Snap,
Rayman 2 (is stunning),
Resident Evil 2 (with the memory expansion),
Virtual Pool 64,
Yoshi's Story.

[edit : correct composite/component confusion :oops: ]
Last edited by davyK on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:56 pm

The only way I've found to get rid of the washed out, blurry look in N64 games is to chuck the console in the bin and emulate the games instead. On a decent PC monitor they look great.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:19 pm

killbot wrote:The only way I've found to get rid of the washed out, blurry look in N64 games is to chuck the console in the bin and emulate the games instead. On a decent PC monitor they look great.
HA! That's so true. It's exactly the problem I had recently and posted about it too. Can't be arsed to search the thread, but I had the same. That is: I been playing P64 so long that when I picked up a new N64 console it looked utterly shoite on my Bravia.
Thoughts and prayers.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:28 pm

It's been a while since I messed around with PC N64 emus but how well does Perfect Dark emulate now? cos if that's emulated well then I may have to give it a shot.