Does anyone have the Magic the Gathering PC game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Does anyone have the Magic the Gathering PC game?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:01 am

Does anyone have a copy of the PC game that came out around 1997? If so could they get in touch please?

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:47 am

i did have that...somewhere. Although it's likely to be in Australia, and i'm at the moment in the UK.

Why did you want it? From what i remember it's a terrible game...aren't i helpful ;)
Last edited by Vir_Lucis on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 am

I do.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:02 am

I suspect I may have a Japanese DC version kicking about, but I could be confusing it with another card game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:04 am

I have it somewhere. Ain't played it in years.

I also have around 40,000 magic cards :oops: great game. Anyone else play? anyone play from around london?

Is magic going to feature in the mag?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 am

Vir_Lucis wrote:From what i remember it's a terrible game...aren't i helpful ;)
It's not terrible. You just have to understand how to play Magic to truely appreciate it. It's a shame it was based on fourth edition, revised was a much better basic set.

Does anyone have the spells of the ancients add on?

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:34 am

We are not thinking of the same game...

i played a lot of Magic too, and until recently was playing MTG:Online. The game i was thinking about was based on the card game, you played cards and then controlled the monsters and attacked each other...poor memory but it DEFINITELY wasn't just the ccg...it was something else.

*Aha, the one i had was Magic: The Gathering: Battlemage (lol for the name)...and it WAS terrible ;)

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:52 am

I have a "backup" :oops: only unfortunately.

The game was a pretty good adaptation of the TCG. I also have a ton of MtG cards. I have spent a fortune on the damn game.

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Anybody still playing MTG:online? What's the new update like? As i was leaving everyone was going back and forth about it...couldn't afford to stick around and find out.

filecore

Post by filecore » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:58 pm

I used to play a lot of Magic. Used to buy full boxes of boosters when new sets came out. Still got a lot of my cards.

Magic Online sounded pretty cool, until I found out you had to buy the Virtual Cards. I'm not adverse to paying to play online, but the virtual cards are the about the same price as the actual physical product.

So I still use Magic Apprentice to play online with folk. Legal, and free.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 pm

filecore wrote:Magic Online sounded pretty cool, until I found out you had to buy the Virtual Cards.
ditto. Plus the best thing about magic is the social aspect of playing in person, having a few beers, chatting etc. Anyone in London fancy a game sometime?

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:27 pm

You can sell your virtual cards to people for tickets or real money - there is definitely a market there once you are done with it. Not too sure how legit it is, but i sold out of all my virtual cards and got about 30-35% of what i paid to 'buy' them in the first place...which is pretty much the same as the real thing no?

Also, you can trade in full sets for real cards...

Oh, and pforson - if you had bought all your cards virtual you wouldn't have any trouble finding a game ;)

But it's true, the fun was to be had with friends really...and those bastards at the local game store who took it too seriously and hated having their evil broken combo decks be beaten! That was always fun to see the look of disgust on their faces when they fail to draw the three cards they needed for some stupid infinite repeat crap bs :P

But there are certainly MANY benefits to the online version that shouldn't be so quickly overlooked. The major one in my mind being no more rules/card order arguments or cheating!!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:52 pm

if anyone wants to sell their old collections I'll happily take them off their hands :)

Just started playing again after a seven year break and it's as brilliant as ever. I've got a hell of a lot of cards to get again (sold all my original collection) but I don't care. It's just fun to be playing again :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:49 pm

I've got many many many commons you could have. But they just ain't worth the postage.

What with running the mag and all I'm suprised you have time for MTG. It's a real time-sapper!

-Magic's got really good again recently. The Lorwyn blocks a bit of a dud but Time Spiral was very well thought out.

Knight Lore

Post by Knight Lore » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:if anyone wants to sell their old collections I'll happily take them off their hands :)

Just started playing again after a seven year break and it's as brilliant as ever. I've got a hell of a lot of cards to get again (sold all my original collection) but I don't care. It's just fun to be playing again :)
eh ? I thought it was completely incompatible with WinMe onwards ?