Dreamcast On-Line games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Dreamcast On-Line games

Post by GarryG » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 am

Like most people with a DS I've got loads of On-Line Multiplayer games. Most of which I've never seen working in on-line mode.

Are there still and on-line servers running for the DC?

I heard that the DC Quake could be used in multi-player mode with the PC version. Does this mean I can play on PC based on-line Quake servers with the DC?

Has anyone ever tryed to 'fudge' multi-player by wiring two DC's together with a null-modem cable, or by using a PC with multiple modem cards as a HUB?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Beef

Post by Beef » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 am

You can get a good deal of information on individual games and their online-activity through wikipedia and the internet generally. Most of the games are offline but some of them are just weird! Sega say that the servers are offline but some of them allegedly still work? I really want to play Phantasy Star Online as i've just got that but it doesn't seem possible.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:18 am

I think there were some 'unofficial' Phantasy Star Online servers still going after it was originally supposedly switched off by SEGA.

But I haven't had a proper look recently. This was one game I did get to see on-line.
It was very good, bordering on amazing, for the time!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:14 am

Yeah PSO was AMAZING for it's time. It wasn't like other online games at the time which were highly competitive and had you killing each other, you had to work as a team and I met some really cool people. Also the fact you could join in Japanese games and speak to them using the in-game translator thing was quite exciting too.

I'm quite sure the unofficial servers for PSO are still up, certainly were just under a year ago when I checked, think it's possible to still play Quake 3 and Starlancer too. F355 had the plug pulled unfortunately.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:00 am

I found This List that says some things are still going.
Apparently, according to the same site as above, there are still several European PAL Region PSO servers in operation. Don't know about anything else in Europe yet. Anybody else know of something still going?

I'm currently (apparently) getting re-cabled and my broadband provider changed at home, so temporarily don't have access, but I'm going to try and see what I can get on-line with the DC, may be a while before I can try it out though, my re-connection date has just been put back by a week :(

I'd be interested in your results if anybody else wants to give it a try.

Do you think this type of thing would make a good article in RG?

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Only gripes here, im afraid. The dc promised a lot for online play and delivered very little.

One that i remember was sega's own release title dynamite cop 2 (die hard arcade 2) where part of the manual was devoted to extra, playable characters available from sega's own download site. Unfortunately the link provided led to a 404 not found.

To me it sounded like a good idea but in the end was some years ahead of its time, much like everything about the console. I really dont know why, i cant believe that its so difficult for a creative mind to get some online play out of a 56kk modem.

paulmlev

Post by paulmlev » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 pm

I reckon an article on how the Dreamcast led the way for console based online gaming would be a rather good read.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:23 am

Personally, I played Chu Chu Rocket online, and it was rather choppy and pretty terrible. I much preferred the GBA Linkup. It'd be an ideal WiiWare title though :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:17 am

Mighty_Zol wrote:Only gripes here, im afraid. The dc promised a lot for online play and delivered very little.

One that i remember was sega's own release title dynamite cop 2 (die hard arcade 2) where part of the manual was devoted to extra, playable characters available from sega's own download site. Unfortunately the link provided led to a 404 not found.

To me it sounded like a good idea but in the end was some years ahead of its time, much like everything about the console. I really dont know why, i cant believe that its so difficult for a creative mind to get some online play out of a 56kk modem.
You obviously never played Phantasy Star Online, Starlancer, Unreal Tournament and Quake III: Arena. They ran on 33k modem with very little lag considering. Quite an achievement really as NO other console before it had offered online play like this.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Quake 3 for the DC was the first online game I ever played. I played something called 'CTF' and proceeded to run around blowing the crap out of everyone. I later discovered that 'CTF' stands for Capture The Flag and I was blowing up my team mates :shock: :oops: :P

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:39 pm

A good route through Google will throw you up some active PSO severs.

There is a version of Counter-Strike still in development for DC, currently it's a single player version but there has been much demand for the addition on multiplayer functionality (fingers crossed!)

Incidentally, anyone still use their DC for web browsing?

...just me then :oops:

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:44 pm

mick_aka wrote:Incidentally, anyone still use their DC for web browsing?

...just me then :oops:
I used to use it for all internet related stuff. I didn't have internet on my PC then. :shock: I haven't used it online in years now though

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I have no acctual reason for using it, apart from because I can 8)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm

Not used it for a while now but I used to use it all the time back in the day. Was really cool being able to surf the net and then jump straight into a game all from the comfort of your couch, something only the PS3 has made possible since. All these cool features when combined made the DC well ahead of it time. :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 am

C=Style wrote:something only the PS3 has made possible since
And the Wii, DS and PSP.
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.