Archimedes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:38 pm

My old school used to have some. (They were the educational computer for a while, after the BBC Micro), well they weren't my old school's main computers, but the CDT Department). They were a big step up from the RM Nimbuses we had in the computer block.

The Archimedes run some sort of CAD software (I can't remember the name), and a word processing program called !Write (I think). They were linked up to dot matrix printers and an A4 plotter.

The CDT dept used to get an Acorn magazine every month and it came with a cover disk (which had game demos on it). We used to play on them in break time. We even managed to get a copy of Lemmings on it.

It was a good machine. The RISC set was a novel idea, and the graphics hardware was very comparable to the Amiga's (same size colour palette 4096), and good sound hardware as well. The game demos were very impressive SWIV and Lemmings looked good.

It still lives on in the form of Iyonix PC.

E-Type

Post by E-Type » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:30 pm

I use the last machine Acorn produced the RiscPC which was made by the company that produces Iyonix's today. The trouble with the Iyonix is its price tag despite it being a fine machine.

Before that I had an A3010 which was one of the successors to the Archimedes.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:04 pm

I remember trying an Archimedes shortly when I was at university and someone had a stand where they sold them and tried to generally drum up some interest. The Zarch mouse control felt more correct to me than the Virus one.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 pm

I believe the BBC did use the Risc PCs quite a bit for offline video editing (I think there was a good video editing app at the time for them), but that was a while ago (about 1998). The Ilyonix is pricey, but I suppose as it is a niche market they can charge what they like.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:58 am

Katzkatz wrote:The Ilyonix is pricey, but I suppose as it is a niche market they can charge what they like.
It's probably also due to the fact that very few of them are made and it pushes up the unit price. So if we all buy one then the price should come down, eventually. :D

I've still got my A3000. I've recently added an A3010 and an A3020 to the collection. :)

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:31 pm

I am in the states and this is my Archimedes A5000:

http://pix.blakespot.com/view/computers/a5000.jpg.html

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:40 am

Good to see it is still alive and kicking. Does anyone else remember using them at school (in the UK)? I always remember that in Dixons they always ran that demo of the 3D rendered soldiers marching. Does anyone remember that?

filecore

Post by filecore » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:37 pm

I have an A3000 (purchased back in 1991) and a pimped up A5000 with ethernet and all the trimmings.

My favourite games:

Mad Professor Mariati - first game I ever completed!
Terremex
Chocks Away
Stunt Racer 2000
Saloon Cars Deluxe - this was the game that made me upgrade from 1MB to 4MB.
Gyrinus 2 (Tom Cooper - AWESOME)
Cataclysm
E-Type
Small
Asylum
Zarch
Lemmings
Conqueror
Chuck Rock
Pacmania
Interdictor
Flight Sim Toolkit
Elite - Absolutely the best version of Elite.

Plus lots of others! Fantastic :D

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:02 pm

filecore wrote:I have an A3000 (purchased back in 1991) and a pimped up A5000 with ethernet and all the trimmings.
Does it have the 8Mb RAM upgrade as well? 8)
filecore wrote:Elite - Absolutely the best version of Elite.
I'd have to agree with you there. I've played the Beeb, Tube and the Elk versions but the Archie version is where it's at! It just takes some time to get used to the solid graphics. :D