Favourite SCUMM games...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Dizrythmia
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

Post by Dizrythmia » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:55 am

For along time I was obsessed with all things Sam & Max thanks that game.... kinda still am in a way :)

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8707
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:25 am

mel the bell wrote:hm never really played any only really tried Beneath a Steel Sky but i cant even start.

whys it not really a scumm game? it runs on scummvm
ScummVM yes.

Scumm no.

Quite a few non-Scumm games run on ScummVM. Most adventure games of that time used scripting languages of one sort or another. Revolution were cool enough to not only provide ScummVM's team with all the information they needed to make it work, but then make BASS freeware so everyone could play it.

And that my friends is why they rock. Hell, I sent them a thankyou note maybe 2 years earlier after they did the same with Lure of the Temptress and got a very nice reply.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
mel the bell
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:42 am
Location: near whitby
Contact:

Post by mel the bell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:50 pm

cheers for the info duds
nice to hear a software company being nice :)


YOU LISTENING CODIES, RARE :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

MrH
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:33 pm

Re:

Post by MrH » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:39 pm

Probably not technically the best game, but I always enjoyed Indy and the Last Crusade graphic adventure.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:41 pm

MrH wrote:Probably not technically the best game, but I always enjoyed Indy and the Last Crusade graphic adventure.

This game was spoilt by having to fight your way out of situations
Also the puzzles were very hard
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:00 am

The ‘Leisure Suite Larry’ series has to be amongst the best non-SCUMM based point and click type adventures…

I’ve just started playing the newest one on PS2 so I’ve high hopes for the storyline and content. I can’t honestly say there was a dud game in this series to date!

User avatar
gamefreak1972
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:18 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re:

Post by gamefreak1972 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:11 am

GarryG wrote:The ‘Leisure Suite Larry’ series has to be amongst the best non-SCUMM based point and click type adventures…

I’ve just started playing the newest one on PS2 so I’ve high hopes for the storyline and content. I can’t honestly say there was a dud game in this series to date!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but...the last Leisure Suit Larry game that hit the consoles? Well...it doesnt even compare to the originals. Dont get me wrong, it does have some funny moments - but its not even close to being in the same legue as the original LSLs. Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dumbed down - its just more raunchy than witty, more minigames than puzzles....it really doesnt deserve the name Leisure Suit Larry.

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Ash » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:49 am

Best SCUMM game? It would be difficult for me to pick between The Secret of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer but since Simon isn't technically a SCUMM game I'd have to go for Monkey Island.

Special mention also has to go to Maniac Mansion. It got the ball rolling, was refreshingly humouress and featured some great gameplay elements that sadly didn't make it into later adventure games.

As for good adventure games that have come out recently- I actually thought Broken Sword 3 was exceptionally good and Still Life was great too. The first hour of Fahrenheit was brilliant but the game somehow fell to pieces after that. Too many QTEs.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:04 pm

I never liked the Larry games

What annoyed me was that you died so often-you could get to a
stage in the game where you would die no matter what you did
Just because you hadnt picked up an item half an hour ago,and the worst thing was that you couldn't go back to that location,you had to load
a previously saved game

The only good thing to say about them,is that the original Monkey Island games took into account everything that was wrong with the earlier Larry games and fixed it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MrH
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:33 pm

Re:

Post by MrH » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:07 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
MrH wrote:Probably not technically the best game, but I always enjoyed Indy and the Last Crusade graphic adventure.

This game was spoilt by having to fight your way out of situations
Also the puzzles were very hard
True, but it did follow the film very well and was way ahead of it's time when it was released....

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8707
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:15 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I never liked the Larry games

What annoyed me was that you died so often-you could get to a
stage in the game where you would die no matter what you did
Just because you hadnt picked up an item half an hour ago,and the worst thing was that you couldn't go back to that location,you had to load
a previously saved game

The only good thing to say about them,is that the original Monkey Island games took into account everything that was wrong with the earlier Larry games and fixed it
That's true of almost any Sierra adventure.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:42 pm

Dudley wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I never liked the Larry games

What annoyed me was that you died so often-you could get to a
stage in the game where you would die no matter what you did
Just because you hadnt picked up an item half an hour ago,and the worst thing was that you couldn't go back to that location,you had to load
a previously saved game

The only good thing to say about them,is that the original Monkey Island games took into account everything that was wrong with the earlier Larry games and fixed it
That's true of almost any Sierra adventure.


That's true-there were some potentially really good games ruined by this
e.g.Police Quest and in particular Willy Beamish,which is still a good game
(and criminally forgotten about by most ) nontheless
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

KW
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:32 pm

Re:

Post by KW » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 pm

Ash wrote: As for good adventure games that have come out recently- I actually thought Broken Sword 3 was exceptionally good and Still Life was great too. The first hour of Fahrenheit was brilliant but the game somehow fell to pieces after that. Too many QTEs.
Broken Sword III was a bit of a let down for me. I loved the first two games and although the storyline for the third was good, it had way too many annoying bits like the pushing crates, stealth sections and awful loading times. I agree about Farenheit though- especially the plot near the end of the game

User avatar
gamefreak1972
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:18 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by gamefreak1972 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:18 am

There are so many point-and-click adventure games that I loved, and miss terribly ( I need to get an older PC or something that I can play these older games on) - The monkey Islands, Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, Sam and Max (which was supposed to get a sequel on xbox at some point?) Kings Quest, Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Discworld...Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) had the right idea, but the plot got a little too weird near the end - I hope they give it another shot...maybe not a sequel but something with similar gameplay.

Its hard to pick a favorite...but Maniac Mansion will always have a place in my heart: it was the first game that I had ever played like that (good ol Commodore! I currently have the NES version because I dont have the C64 anymore :( ), I loved that game and played the hell out of it for years...maybe someday I'll be able to start a vintage/retro computer collection to go with my small retro console collection. :D

User avatar
planetmatt
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:40 am
Location: Hampshire, UK

Post by planetmatt » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:16 am

My favourites are Monkey Island 1 for the amazing writing and the insult sword fighting which was amazing. For playability, I love Day of the Tenticle, I really liked the 4d puzzle solving, very original and very funny.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests