Atari ST vs Amiga - total sales figure ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:46 am

The only one I've ever owned is the Amiga (which I've still got) and my best mate had an ST before upgrading to an Amiga. I'd say I knew a roughly equal amount of ST and Amiga owners, back in the day. I marginally prefer the Amiga, but only because of some of its exclusive games (like Superfrog), not because of the machine itself :)

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:00 pm

I only had the Amiga. Love this machine and its marvellous games catalogue and still like to play on it today!
Of those few friends I had back then ( :lol: ), most of'em (>95%) got an Amiga, too.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:08 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:The only one I've ever owned is the Amiga (which I've still got) and my best mate had an ST before upgrading to an Amiga. I'd say I knew a roughly equal amount of ST and Amiga owners, back in the day. I marginally prefer the Amiga, but only because of some of its exclusive games (like Superfrog), not because of the machine itself :)
Then why do you reckon its an upgrade? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:37 am

pforson wrote:
sscott wrote:Anyone under 27/28 has probably just experienced them under emulation anyway.
I'm 26 and I owned an A500 at the time! and a Speccy 128 before that. You need to rethink your math ;)
Dude!!! I`m 31 and I just remember amiga and when I was reading into it the ST came out.....you must have been keen at a young age, I knew one guy who had an Amiga....most of us had C64.

And an older friend from work(who I never knew as a kid) said he used his ST for some sort of audio setup.....wasn`t listening too much....I was checking out....ridge racer....I think.....on his PSP....too small screen for fast game like that!!!
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:12 am

Sensi was released on the Amiga in '92. I'm 26 now so counting back I must have been 11 in 1992. That seems like a reasonable age to be playing computer games to me :)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

ady_lister

Post by ady_lister » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Well I had an ST. My brother is 4 years older than me and
all his school friends had one.

4 years later when I reached the same age - all my school friends
had Amigas! That tells you something...

I think the ST had the early lead sort of 87-88ish.

Then Amiga took over sort of 88-90ish.

I'll be an ST boy till the day I die but things like KO2 and Sensible
Soccer were much better on the Amiga.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure a great game like Damocles was
developed with the ST in mind and just sort of 'ported' to the Amiga.
(correct me if I'm wrong).

Also in terms of lifespan the Amiga did much better.
I got a SNES for Xmas 92 and the ST scene was pretty dead then.
The Amiga scene was still going strong well into the mid 90s.

Ooh, just thought of something - Theres no mention of the Atari Falcon
in the Buyers guide at the back of RG. They go for a fair bit on ebay,
very short lived machine was supposed to take up where the ST left off...

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:54 pm

The Amiga was launched not long after the ST, but prior to the release of the game-centric A500 model the Amiga was marketed (and priced) as a business machine (much as the C64 had been before it).

So the ST did get an early lead but when the A500 did come out it immediately deposed the ST as the computer of choice - within a few years the ST had gone from market leader to a bit of a joke. Among my friends at school (early 90s) the numbers of Amiga, Mega Drive and SNES owners were roughly equal, and a few hold-outs were hanging on to their 8-bit systems which still had the odd new game released. But only one kid had an ST and he was often mocked for it (in a good natured way, of course). He himself would often bemoan his lot and wish he had something - anything - else.

Looking back, I think we were all judging the machine a bit harshly. It was easily the least powerful of the 16-bit systems available (the Amiga, Mega Drive and SNES were all clearly superior, and even the few games made for the Acorn Archemedes looked, IIRC, better) but it was still, by the standards of the day, a reasonably capable machine and had some really great games - many early Amiga games were originally ST exclusives that were ported later on.

As for sales figures - I've never seen any. Sorry.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:The only one I've ever owned is the Amiga (which I've still got) and my best mate had an ST before upgrading to an Amiga. I'd say I knew a roughly equal amount of ST and Amiga owners, back in the day. I marginally prefer the Amiga, but only because of some of its exclusive games (like Superfrog), not because of the machine itself :)
Because it was marginally newer, marginally more powerful, and because he got it afterwards :P

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:47 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:Because it was marginally newer, marginally more powerful, and because he got it afterwards :P
Right on one out of three counts there... =-)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 pm

The commercial deaths of the ST and the Amiga didn't really come that far apart. It's just that the ST had a slow decline from a peak in 1990 until Atari pulled the plug in November 1993 and the Amiga had a more spectacular one when Commodore went bankrupt six months later in 1994.

Certainly both the ST and the Amiga 500 were looking very long in the tooth by then, given the preponderance of detailed 3D games on other formats. There probably was a lot more potential in the Amiga 1200, but it never really had the chance to sell in big enough numbers to trouble the 486/Pentium PCs and 5th generation consoles of the mid 90s.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:07 pm

Matt_B wrote:The commercial deaths of the ST and the Amiga didn't really come that far apart. It's just that the ST had a slow decline from a peak in 1990 until Atari pulled the plug in November 1993 and the Amiga had a more spectacular one when Commodore went bankrupt six months later in 1994.
But Commodore going tits up and the supply of new Amiga games ending did not by any means happen at the same time. There was still a steady supply of commercial, A500-compatible Amiga titles up until 1996 or 1997, and even a few in 1998 IIRC.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 am

killbot wrote:
Matt_B wrote:The commercial deaths of the ST and the Amiga didn't really come that far apart. It's just that the ST had a slow decline from a peak in 1990 until Atari pulled the plug in November 1993 and the Amiga had a more spectacular one when Commodore went bankrupt six months later in 1994.
But Commodore going tits up and the supply of new Amiga games ending did not by any means happen at the same time. There was still a steady supply of commercial, A500-compatible Amiga titles up until 1996 or 1997, and even a few in 1998 IIRC.
Sure, but the ST wasn't completely stone cold in 1993 either; there were still commercial releases for it until 1996. The point is that having an Amiga 500 or Atari ST in 1994-5 was a bit like having Spectrum or C64 in 1990; arguing which of the two was the best or most successful was a bit pointless given their increasing irrelevance to the games scene at large.

sven

Post by sven » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Because it was marginally newer, marginally more powerful, and because he got it afterwards :P
Well, marginally more powerful is a bit of an understatement. Sure, the main CPU is the same, but the Amiga came with several chips that freed the CPU from doing all the work. The Amiga was a lot more powerful. And it had a bouncing ball.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 am

Who wouldn't want an Amiga over an ST with this kind of advertising campaign: Click

You could open a fondue restaurant with that much cheese.

sven

Post by sven » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:26 am

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/sales.html

North America 700,000
Australia & New Zealand 350,000
United Kingdom 1,500,000
Germany 1,300,000
France 250,000
Italy 600,000
Other European Countries 150,000
Rest of World 0

I think the ST sold quite a bit less than this.