Atari ST vs Amiga - total sales figure ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 am

If memory serves the ST, which got earlier in the market, started stronger. But eventually the Amiga picked up the pace and outsold the ST worldwide. Here are some Amiga sales figures, but I don't think they are reliable.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:12 am

Got the Amiga sales figures here..

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/sales.html

Cant seem to find anything concrete about the ST though

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks for the Amiga though.

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Ah, that sales breakdown is interesting...

The Amiga was always my favourite system - and everybody i knew in Australia who was into games had one...either that or a C-64 if they hadn't upgraded. Hardly any of my friends even had NES/MS we just stuck with Amiga!!

Just recently bought a CD-32 with SX32 expansion as well (put me back a bit...but the memories!!). The CD-32 came with a bunch of cds that had about 400 games on each but they're just not the same...plus they don't work with the SX32 connected for some reason :( So getting into collecting original Amiga titles again!! Awesome fun :)!!

Anyway...AMIGA FOR THE WIN!!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:52 pm

20 to 1 is ridiculous. As I owned an ST then an Amiga I know there was little difference between them. Shadow of the Beast was impressive for the Amiga but the ST had already came out for quite a while first. I bought an ST because of Xenon among others then Dungeon Master (which I still adore). The Amiga only ran Dungeon Master on 1 meg as I recall. 18 months later I bought an Amiga 500 and games included New Zealand Story and Batman - I think the package was themed on Batman - the only main difference at the time was the fantastic stereo sound which I ran through external speakers. The Amiga had a really annoying power pack thing stuck out the back but at the time was certainly the more powerful machine. I think the Amiga only really came into its own in the early '90s when they really pushed the specs. Everyone thinks Atari failed after the 5200 and 7800 but had reasonable success with the ST. The Jaguar and Lynx of course finally killed Atar's reputation and ended their involvement with hardware.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm quite surprised there were supposedly over twice as many Amigas in the UK as in the States!

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:25 pm

sscott wrote:20 to 1 is ridiculous. As I owned an ST then an Amiga I know there was little difference between them. Shadow of the Beast was impressive for the Amiga but the ST had already came out for quite a while first.
To start with we used to just run the Amiga version of SOTB, then the appalling-looking ST port was released and, when people asked which was better, we'd just put the game on both and leave it to them to notice the difference; we didn't sell many STs specifically for gaming, it was MIDI use that shifted most of the machines we sold, either that or the price. Twenty to one was about right, we'd have a couple of STs in stock and around thirty A500s at any one time (and more at Christmas) because it took a few days to restock and a good week could all but clear us out.

To be honest i made the decision as to which 16-bit machine to own in a similar way; i played a lot on both the A500 and 520ST and noticed how poorly the latter scrolled horizontally, that's what made the decision for me...

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:26 pm

The Master wrote:I'm quite surprised there were supposedly over twice as many Amigas in the UK as in the States!
i remember sticking "European Computer Of The Year" stickers to A500 Pluses for a couple of years, i'm fairly sure that award was based on sales...

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:40 pm

TMR wrote: i'd be surprised, unless the sales i remember weren't at least roughly typical there should've been a lot more Amigas out there than STs... we were shifting about twenty units to one if not more and the C64 was a bigger seller than the ST for us. Our "technique" was to leave Shadow of the Beast running on all three...
When was this?

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:52 am

ivarf wrote:
TMR wrote: i'd be surprised, unless the sales i remember weren't at least roughly typical there should've been a lot more Amigas out there than STs... we were shifting about twenty units to one if not more and the C64 was a bigger seller than the ST for us. Our "technique" was to leave Shadow of the Beast running on all three...
When was this?
Heh... if i could remember exactly, i'd have said... but me, i can't remember what i had for tea yesterday! (Actually... i can't remember if i even had tea... was it a good telly day, that usually throws me?) But the shop and it's sister branch were both opened around the time the A500 started to really take off in the UK and the one i was in was the longest surviving (at one point there were three in the "chain", all managing similar sorts of percentages of sales if not figures from what i recall) there for just shy of ten years. The twenty to one ratio i mentioned was at the Amiga's peak, but i can say with absolute certainty that there was never a week where we sold more STs than Amigas.

The Shadow of the Beast comparison started off as just an A2000 running it, then the ST version was released and fed to our 1040STFM and finally the C64 cartridge appeared and was left in the back of a C64C; as the range expanded, so did our demonstration. =-)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:20 am

There's a site here that gives a figure of 6 million atari STs sold worldwide:
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=922

This site here claims a similar number for the Amiga:
http://www.amiga.com/about/history/?t=os

Even allowing for the fact that the ST peaked much earlier, I'd be surprised if it was really that close. Perhaps some shops were just wise to the ST's capabilities and only offered to demonstrate vertical scrollers on it? :wink:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:30 am

dax trajero wrote:there were plenty of debates at the time in the school yard over which was the finer machine.

Would've been nice to see the actual figures after all these years.
Sales figures have very little to do with what is/was the better machine !?!?!?

Better in what capacity, at what for what?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:04 am

The Amiga was the superior system in all respects.

The ST excelled in two departments: music, because of its built-in midi port and DTP because of the hi-res monochrome display.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:09 pm

...and polygons. The ST's 68000 went a teeny wee bit swifter than the Amiga's. The best part of a whole 1Mhz as I recall. Not a lot by todays standards - but a enough to fuel flame wars for the past 17 years. :wink:

So the Amiga was better at kiddie stuff, platformers, cutesy games and the ST was better at manly simulations and stuff with polygons, and, of cause, the ST was used by all the best bands of the late 80s early 90s. (KLF, 808 State, Altern8...)

In summary: The ST was cooler and ergo, better.

;)

(Surely no one will bite? ;) )

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Never got into Amiga/Atari ST wars in the 90's, grown up a bit then ;)

We all had Amigas, to be fair when i play games on both emulators i cant tell a huge difference between them but in the 90's the majority of people did seem to say the Amiga was greater.

Personally didnt really give a monkeys, both seemed quite similar.