How was the 1st day that u got your 1st computer??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:26 am

bolda wrote:A few years later, I'd changed the NES for an ST and got a printer for Christmas. I'd only had it for about 10 minutes when I took off a bit of the plastic case in order to install the ink ribbon (remember those!?) and promptly sat on the bit of plastic case and broke it! I was gutted, until my dad put it back together with super glue! :(
Yeah, dads are great aren't they.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

big1aust

Post by big1aust » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:36 pm

My first (and only) real retro computer was a VIC-20 which I got when I was about 14 or so. It was 139.99 from argos and unlike some of the other lucky people on here I had to have it as joint birthday and Xmas present AND I had to save £40 to put towards it myself as my parents didn't belive in spending more than 50 quid for either a birthday or xmas present.

Sadly I was one of the only lads at my school that had a VIC which meant seriously limited swapping and borrowing opportunities - I should have got a Spectrum like everyone else but was influenced by my older brother's best mate who told me that the VIC was a much better computer.

I still have some fond memories of type-in programmes (all that POKEing and PEEKing) and also remember the superb GORF cart that it took me nearly 4 months to save up for (I think it was about 40 quid or something ridiculous!!).

Sadly the VIC so unreliable that it spent 8 out of the 12 months warranty period back at Argos while various bits (powerpack , RF unit and probably the computer itself) wre sent back and forwards to Commodore .

Suppose it could have been worse - my mate had a Texas TI and was the only one in the school and seemingly the surrounding area to have one with virtually no software available at local outlets - it was nice and shiny though :D

Cheers
big1aust

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:53 am

My first computer was an AMIGA 500. That was back in 1991. It came with the monitor, a dot-matrix-printer, 2 Joysticks (blue-silver "Competition pro"s), 2 mediocre games ("Snowstrike" and "Conqueror" - I guess my parents shouldn't have listened to the seller - he obviously didn't know much about good games) and was "presented" on a computer desk (christmas was cool :D ).

But I also had the first "GURU MEDITATION" on that evening :(

Xtatic

Post by Xtatic » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:58 am

When I said that I got a ZX Spectrum for Xmas, I forgot to mention that it was a TIMEX Sinclair 2068 model.

It was a great computer but incompatible with some 48k games... Never knew why... :/

Will Retro Gamer talk about these??

andjs

Post by andjs » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:03 pm

:D I remember my first computer like it was yesterday.
Back in 1982 my parents were persuaded to buy me and my brother a Vic20.We were both so excited and within minutes of them getting it home , the machine was set up and loading Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time.God knows how many hours were spent playing that one game??!!!

Over the following years, we progressed through Spectrum 48+,Atari 520st,Amiga 1200(by which time my bro lost interest)so i continued on alone through Megadrive,Snes,Gameboy,Playstation,Gameboy, color,N64,Dreamcast,Ps2,Xbox,Imac,Pc,Gameboy Advance and Advance SP.
I still have all of them except the SNES which i stupidly sold (idiot!!!!).
Hope to get a 360 soon.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:10 pm

Hope to get a 360 soon.[/quote]

You'd be better off just buying another SNES
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:49 pm

It was a nightmare.

I got a C64 for Xmas and I set it all up but when I switched it on the cursor started racing across the screen and wouldn't stop printing 2s and 0s and 1s and spaces.

It took me over an hour of ringing round and switching off and on before I realised my Quickshot 2 was plugged into joystick port 2 and Autofire was switched on.

After that it was Hunchback, Denis and Hexpert all day.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

sack

Re:

Post by sack » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

revgiblet wrote:
bolda wrote:A few years later, I'd changed the NES for an ST and got a printer for Christmas. I'd only had it for about 10 minutes when I took off a bit of the plastic case in order to install the ink ribbon (remember those!?) and promptly sat on the bit of plastic case and broke it! I was gutted, until my dad put it back together with super glue! :(
Yeah, dads are great aren't they.
when they get it right they are...

About the same age, possibly younger, I had one of those translucent laser guns with the flywheel inside that made a noise and emitted sparks which I really liked at the time.. until it seized up.

My dad is a motor mechanic by trade who subscribes to the traditional 3 step diagnostic process:

* If it moves and it shouldn't you need gaffertape
* If it doesn't move and it should you need WD40
* if neither is true tinker with it - eventually one or the other will become true

So in this case rule #2 applied and the flywheel,gears and trigger mechanism were all nicely soaked in WD40. He made sure the parts were free to move and handed me back my then favourite toy for the first pull of the trigger...

... and bloody hell did that go with a bang!

So there was a bang, a few flames and a sense of disappointment as my slightly nonfunctional but still loved toy was now...well... blown up.

Gutted.

Luckily he generally gets things right though and ironically if you offered me the chance to blow something inanimate up in a (relatively) safe way* for laughs from my teens up until now I'd probably find it funny.

*Disclaimer for our friends in charge there - I'd like to point out that I'm an immature idiot rather than a terrorist and have more in common with Beavis and Butthead than Bin Laden so whilst I condemn terrorism I'd probably still reenact the Amiga game 'scorched tanks' using fireworks and drainpipes on an empty field given a chance. Thank you for understanding and not locking me up for a long, long time.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

RandySparks

Post by RandySparks » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:30 am

This kid seems fairly chuffed with his new N64

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/27/ninte ... kid-crazy/

Xtatic

Post by Xtatic » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:41 pm

I'd like to see the look on his change when he plays Turok , or Fifa...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:11 pm

RandySparks wrote:This kid seems fairly chuffed with his new N64

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/27/ninte ... kid-crazy/
Imagine if had been a PlayStation. He'd have probably exploded.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:16 pm

Weird when I look back because the games I got with them were crap!

Atari 2600 with Pac-Man. Obviously being extremely young I couldn't understand its crappiness. Some time later though I got Asteroids and the balance was restored somewhat.

Years later I got a Spectrum +2, which I believe was in one of those old Dixon's packs. Obviously all the games were terrible but I loved Oh Mummy (for some reason) anyway.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:02 am

After many months of begging i finally got a Spectrum +, forgot what year it was. Use to salivate over the pics of the computers in the old catalogues my mum used to get.

I remember using it for the first time, typing in some basic programs and thinking it was just so cool, even the basic games on the starter tape i thought were brilliant and then buying my first game - Jet Set Willy, i was totally hooked. Great times back then

comicalgames

Post by comicalgames » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:09 am

My brother had a Speccy 128k+2 which I used to mercilessly create huge basic programs that were compilations of the code provided in the chunky manuals. He then sold it and traded in for a C64.

I then got an Amstrad 6128 followed by an Atari 65XE. To my utter shame and idiocy they were stored in a crap damp environment and became basically ruined. stab stab.

The first I ever bought though was a Master System. I was quite young and saved for aaaaaaages all my pocket money until I had about £30 (unattainable riches), but I was still only halfway towards the £79.99 price tag.

One day I came home and found my money gone!!! I correctly suspected that my dad had taken it, and when he came home with the SMS (Alex Kidd + Sonic cart) I can honestly say I've never been happier. Whoever said it was right, dad's are ace.
Please help raise awareness about Organ Donation in the UK - http://www.livelifethengivelife.co.uk

Add yourself to the register:
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... onsent.jsp