How was the 1st day that u got your 1st computer??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Xtatic

How was the 1st day that u got your 1st computer??

Post by Xtatic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:13 am

Do you remember the first day that you received your first computer??

The first computer that I got was a Xmas gift from my parents. It was mid-eighties and I was hoping to get a ZX Spectrum. The Xmas night I didn't get nothing.. I went to bed and I was so sad. The next morning, I was walking to the Cheap MDF rubbish to get my breakfast when I saw a nice box in the living room. When I opened it and I saw "the" machine of my dreams. I was ecstatic!!!
Soon I discovered magazines (crash, sinclair,...) that I used to buy in a local store here in Lisbon.

The same happened with the c64 (still my fav computer) few years later by Xmas and the story repeats...

What changed now, is that I buy my computers, and my magazines. One of them is Retro Gamer in the same store where I used to buy Crash & Zzap64. How cool is that?

Thanks again to Retro Gamer for remembering great games and computers... Keep the magic alive.
:D

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm

I remember getting £150 in cash off my parents for my 14th Birthday. I got the bus to Stockport and proudly strode to the counter at Dixons. "Spectrum 12k please", trying not to crack my voice in the excitement. Handed over the cash and got a whole 5p change. It felt like the longest bus ride home, but when Daley Thompsons Supertest 128 loaded and that beautiful Chariots of Fire music was playing I knew it was all worth it!

It wasn't my first computer (I had had a ZX81, G7000 Videopac and C16 by then), but it was the first time I had bought it myself and the first time I had held that much cash in my hands!

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:05 pm

A surprise... and a disappointment.

I'd been out shopping with my parents, got home and my older brother says, "There's a parcel".
So we open it, and it's the Commodore 64!

The only trouble was, the powerpack was faulty, and it took weeks to get a working one from Commodore UK...

acharris05

Post by acharris05 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi my first computer was a C64 breadbin, it was 21 years ago, I was 7 Years old and it was in June on a Saturday, I remember cause it was ladies final day at Wimbledon. I always like the C64 as I played my father's friend when I would go down.

I went to cardiff with my parents and I remember walking around, looking at a C64 in Dixons, playing with it. When my father said, seeing as it was my birthday in July you can have the C64 for your birthday and we get it today.

I said yes, and cause we just had dinner, I was so excited I had to run out the shop to be sick outside. Any way had the C64 and I remember my mother saying to me and my father, it will be just a phase, he won't want to know it for long.

Anyway, 21 years later and now I am a collector of retro consoles, modern consoles and plus I am heavily into PC's and repair family and friends pc's, so I guess you could say 21 years in a long phase.

Anthony

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:08 am

Atari 400, with chunk-o-carts and a really awful keyboard. I was young, it was a computer, and I was totally taken by the thing. Thinking about it, does anyone know of a really decent Lemon64-style site that shows grabs from Atari 400 games? It'd be good to track down a few of the buggers again.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:26 am

Christmas 1988, after first playing my sister and brother-in-law's C64, I was eagerly hoping to get my first computer/games console... and I got an Atari 2600 Jr which made up probably one of the best Christmas' I ever had what with that and the other goodies I had. (Much more presents back then when half the relatives were still alive :) )

It was second hand with a bundle of games from the local second hand shop, and I remember rushing upstairs to set it all up on the b/w telly I recently had in my room. Pole Position being the first game I plugged in, and then proceeding to play Battlezone, Combat, Millipede, Missile Command and Yars Revenge for the rest of the day.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:52 am

My first computer was a ZX81. It was Christmas day, I think I was about 5 or 6. I remember seeing a present under the tree and didn't realise it was for me.

It wasn't until that evening about 7pm ish that I was told that the last present under the tree was mine. I opened it up and found a ZX81. I was so excited, it was a new electrical device (I was really into electronics when I was younger and wanted to be an electrician).

I spent the next day playing around on it making pretty patterns on the screen.

Unfortanately my poor old ZX81 got water spilt on it a few months later and then I was told I wasn't aloud another computer until I was 14.

About 3 years later I got an Atari 65XE for christmas. That was even more exciting for me. The box was so big it had to be wrapped up in wallpaper!

It was the 65XE that spurred me into learning how to program in Basic and also started off my love of Atari computers.

Other than that, the only other times I've been really really excited about getting a computer/console was when I got my Atari ST (when I came home from school I found the ST all set up, and I was really emotional with excitement), and when I got my Neo Geo when I was 17, got it home and found it didn't work in colour on my TV (due to a lack of scart socket).

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:15 am

I remember getting my Amstrad CPC6128. The school had them & I had wanted one for YEARS. My uncle worked at Radio Rentals Port Adelaide (which are now closed), & I remember they used to give away copies of Amstrad Computer User at their Amstrad display. I think it was Christmas eve or thereabouts.... it was close to Christmas.

I too had a disappointing time though, as I was told by my uncle (who I now realise was clueless) that it came with games on the 2 discs. As we all know they are the CPM discs with a crappy Roland In Time demo. It was a good week till I got my first game (a 6 pack compilation), THEN the good times started to roll :)

sack

Post by sack » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:50 am

it'd be around the 2nd weekend in febuary, 1986 - just around my 5th birthday

never knew what computers were for, knew much less about why I'd actually want one but for some reason the freshly powered up machines in the windows of Dixons had a hypnotic effect on me - I think it was the flashing cursors to be honest.

I wanted the one with the light blue flashing cursor on the dark blue background (which in hindsight was a C64 - good choice) but ended up with the one with a black cursor on a white background (C16). my dad says 'it was either that or a spectrum, and the spectrum looked crap' but in fairness I think he was planning for it to be more than a games machine and was more put off by the keyboard than the graphics.

and he was half right - I did end up doing more than just playing games although if it wasn't for the games (most notably Ancipital and Uridium when it was relived of its duties by a C64 shortly after) I wouldn't have seen a reason why I wanted to write anything.

Wasn't disappointed by the 16 though. Despite the fact its not exactly a C64 (although the plus4 could hold its own against a spectrum had it been given the attention) nothing will alter the fact it was my first machine until it succmbed to TED death as they all seem to do.

which is why its currently sat on my desk with the TED removed and a mass of wires running from the chip socket to the edge connector of an FPGA board so that when I get the hang of this I can synthesise a replacement that will fit in the socket on a piggyback board and resurrect it.

..But thats more of a long, long, long, incredibly long term goal there.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:02 pm

It was Christmas 82 or 83.

After careful consideration (for an eight-year-old at least) I has chosen the Spectrum due to the fact that my mates had one. After my parents paid £129.99 from Rumblelows it was the official day that it could be used.

The first question was asked: How does one load these spiffing looking programs? With advice from a friend who had one, the first tape was loaded, something called Derby Day by CRL. And I loved every moment of it. My love of gaming was concentrated by a computer programme on Central called "Database", would love to see it again. The BBC computer programmes, Micro Live etc. were eschewd as being too adult for someone of my age.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:04 am

Fortunately for me, my dad and uncle were massive gamers before I was spawned onto this earth, so my C64 was, technically, my dads.

I do remember my dad coming home from a long day out and placing a Mega Drive in front of me, and then mercilessly taunting me while he flew through the Green Hill Zone on Sonic 1, while I still had my dinner to eat.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:50 pm

If you're talking about personal computers that can play games then my first one was a Macintosh Plus. I loved it so much.

romanista

Post by romanista » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 am

mmm. we had to take our C=128 back after the first day, so it ended in tears.. my dad had bought the cheap showroom model..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:13 am

The first macine I ever bought with my own cash was a Sega Master System (complete with Safari Hunt and Hang On).

The first machine I ever owned was a Binatone :)

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:20 am

The first system I got that was mine (didn't have to share with my brothers) was an NES for Christmas back in the late 80's. I got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ikari Warriors and the classic Gradius and hammered them all Christmas day! That was the best Christmas day ever! :D

A few years later, I'd changed the NES for an ST and got a printer for Christmas. I'd only had it for about 10 minutes when I took off a bit of the plastic case in order to install the ink ribbon (remember those!?) and promptly sat on the bit of plastic case and broke it! I was gutted, until my dad put it back together with super glue! :(
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage