Reborn retro classics -- what would you do?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:07 pm

merman wrote:I reckon the DS is better suited to point & click stuff - Deja Vu, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max...
I agree with that. I've said on here before that I'd love to see proper versions of the the lucasarts point and click games on the DS.

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:26 pm

bazza6891 wrote:Hi Robbo,

I have noticed that you are in Thetford like me (I'm on Cloverfields)
Where do you tend to find your retro stuff around here ????
I visit the local boot sales, but apart from them there are no shops/secondhand stores etc anywhere near. :(
I buy most of my retro gaming gear off eBay mate. Admittedly though I have most of my gear from when I was a kid from 16-Bit upwards and mainly buy C64/CPC/SPEC/SMS & A.ELEC stuff to rebuild those collections I regrettably sold during my less mature years. I mainly collect for nostalgia so I only buy to collect stuff I used to own many years ago (along with the odd curiousity item I may buy if you know what I mean.)

I'm not really a car boot fanatic (my Mum used to drag me round those things as a kid so I'm mentally scarred for life! :lol: Woolpit, Tollgate in Bury, Banham bloody Zoo etc. :x ) so I only really buy online. Gamestation in Norwich sometimes has the odd thing and there is a neat little shop on St. Benedict's Street in Norwich that do loads of retro gear, but other than that I'm at a loss.

Happy hunting!

Robbo of Redcastle, Thetford.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:42 pm

In addition to point & clicks ... I'd also like to see Legends of Valour on my DS ... for those not in the know it's a 1st person, texture-mapped RPG which came out on Amiga and PC in ealry 93. It's free format, mini-quest based and a little bit mad.

I'd love to see that or other rpgs like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master etc.

Failing that how about a new Captain Blood or (sorry) Dizzy game?

Stunt Car racer with wifi multi-games? Command & Conquer? The Settlers / Civilisation (with a wifi version)

oooh this could go on and on ... :D

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:10 pm

pottyboy wrote:OK you guys win. I meant that there's a distinct lack of them, especially in PS2 land!
Drakengard?

:D
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:12 pm

michaelf wrote:In addition to point & clicks ... I'd also like to see Legends of Valour on my DS ... for those not in the know it's a 1st person, texture-mapped RPG which came out on Amiga and PC in ealry 93. It's free format, mini-quest based and a little bit mad.

I loved that game

"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:12 pm

Super-Shiny Marble Madness!

Might be interesting with the Rev wand.

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:09 am

michaelf wrote:
The Settlers / Civilisation (with a wifi version)
Age of Empires (which is sort of in the same ballpark as Civ) has just got a DS release in the States & has got some favourable reviews, although it's now turn-based.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:39 am

I'd go for talkie versions of Monkey Island 1 & 2, oh and a 2D version of Escape From Monkey Island. I really couldn't get on with the 3D version, I just don't get why they spoilt the formula with 3D.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:16 am

Robbo wrote:

I visit the local boot sales, but apart from them there are no shops/secondhand stores etc anywhere near. :(
I buy most of my retro gaming gear off eBay mate. Admittedly though I have most of my gear from when I was a kid from 16-Bit upwards and mainly buy C64/CPC/SPEC/SMS & A.ELEC stuff to rebuild those collections I regrettably sold during my less mature years. I mainly collect for nostalgia so I only buy to collect stuff I used to own many years ago (along with the odd curiousity item I may buy if you know what I mean.)

I'm not really a car boot fanatic (my Mum used to drag me round those things as a kid so I'm mentally scarred for life! :lol: Woolpit, Tollgate in Bury, Banham bloody Zoo etc. :x ) so I only really buy online. Gamestation in Norwich sometimes has the odd thing and there is a neat little shop on St. Benedict's Street in Norwich that do loads of retro gear, but other than that I'm at a loss.

Happy hunting!

What are the chances of 3 people from Thetford being on here!! I usually go to Banham but the bloody traders grab all the good stuff. One Step Beyond used to be okay apart from the people that worked there!!

Where's St Benedicts Street? Will have to check that out.

I picked up a couple of Megadrive games from the Charity shop opposite The GOLD SHOP in town the other week.

michaelf

Re:

Post by michaelf » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:19 am

Morkin wrote:
Age of Empires (which is sort of in the same ballpark as Civ) has just got a DS release in the States & has got some favourable reviews, although it's now turn-based.
Cool! Will keep a look out for that - cheers :D

bazza6891

Re:

Post by bazza6891 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
Robbo wrote:

Happy hunting!

What are the chances of 3 people from Thetford being on here!! I usually go to Banham but the bloody traders grab all the good stuff. One Step Beyond used to be okay apart from the people that worked there!!

Where's St Benedicts Street? Will have to check that out.

I picked up a couple of Megadrive games from the Charity shop opposite The GOLD SHOP in town the other week.
Hi Ginja,

I think St Benedicts Street is down the far end of Norwich (down past Jarrolds - turn left and keep going !!!), i think its in the same street as Cash convertors if you know where that is.
Did you know that One Step Beyond is no longer there - I was in Norwich last weekend and noticed that it has closed down !!! :(
I go to the Woolpit booter most weekends, but there is never hardly anything there thesedays (too many traders like everywhere else :( )
Nice to know that retro gaming is alive and well in Thetford :D

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:20 am

bazza6891 wrote:I think St Benedicts Street is down the far end of Norwich (down past Jarrolds - turn left and keep going !!!), i think its in the same street as Cash convertors if you know where that is.
Correct! There is indeed a Cash Converters on St. Benedicts Street!

Can't remember the name of the retro shop in question though... but if you walk down the street from the main shopping area the shop is on the left side of the road.

Three Thetford retro gamers! Well I never! I often wondered who kept buying MY copy of Retro Gamer from WH Smiths :evil:

:lol:

Robbo.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:28 am

Right I know where it is, I'm off to Norwich tomorrow so I'll be looking out for bargains.

As for your copy of Retro Gamer, it must be Bazza I get mine on subscription! :lol:

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:31 am

The Last Ginja wrote:Right I know where it is, I'm off to Norwich tomorrow so I'll be looking out for bargains.

As for your copy of Retro Gamer, it must be Bazza I get mine on subscription! :lol:
Bazza you tea leaf stop pinching my copy of RG!!! :evil:

:lol:

Good luck in Naaaaahridge tomorrow Ginja, llet us know if you are successful!

Robbo.

Danny

Re:

Post by Danny » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:55 am

hand_solo wrote:
Danny wrote:I would like to see the one party game to rule them all on the newest systems...

Deathtank Zwei

Anyone who has ever played this on the Sega Saturn will now what I'm talking about. Think of a game like worms but non-turn based so everybody moves and fire in real time making the game very frantic and fun at the same time.

Some day I hope to remake this classic on the PC, unless I see a conversion to another system first that is...

p.s: Yes I still do own this game on the Sega Saturn!
Wasn't this the secret game found in Duke Nukem? Or something like that....
Yes... Yes it was and proberbly the best multiplayer game on the Sega Saturn to!