Reborn retro classics -- what would you do?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Reborn retro classics -- what would you do?

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:29 am

I know there's been a remakes thread on this forum already, but chinnyhill10's post about Head over Heels on the "RG forum's 100 great retro games—VOTE NOW!" thread got me thinking about the current and next-gen consoles, and I therefore wondered not only what classic games everyone would like to see remade, but also what you'd do to them and how you'd implement them on new systems (taking advantage of, say, Nintendo's touch-screen on the DS or controller on the upcoming Revolution, the grunt of the 360, and so on).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:52 am

Again, referring to the last time I posted the exact same subject a few weeks ago on this forum, I would love to see a conversion of the classic Ghostbusters to the new generation of consoles.

The opening shop sequence of the game would be a fully rendered shop with all the gadgets that you can buy, and you'd be able to try them all out before taking you into the full game.

On the scene in the game where you originally had to wait for the house to become infected with ghosts, then move your ghostbuster logo to that house then drive to that house, this would be replaced with a totally new 3D driving game where you would drive around a fully realised city, trying to get to the haunted houses as fast as you can by following the radar. Perhaps on the way stopping off at the shop for more equipment after each enconunter.

During the actual in-screen catch the ghost sections, this would contain original backdrops and rooms from the film, and whole new settings, and your characters would be perfect copies of Bill Murry and Dan Akroyd and the rest of the gangs and shosts from the film. You'd have to try and vacum a ghost in a 3D room environment from that film, again, avoiding crossing the beams.. And of course you'd have some great crazy and funny ghost effects with ghosts screaming as they are sucked up...

Once you got enough ghosts, you'd have to go back to your HQ, perhaps avoiding various ghosts and other anomalities on the way, before trying to repeat the whole thing in a whole new building, with a whole new nasty and a whole new tactic.

There we go... Perhaps I should copyright that idea!!!! lol

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:59 am

Taking my pick from the retro 100 list, I would remake Midwinter 2.

Such an excellent concept. Simply remake it with current gen graphics and you'd have a winner. Make the combat work like a standard FPS, maybe add a bit more variety in the missions and the ways of completing them and then bake for 2 hours on 160 degrees.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:04 am

I'd like to see Text/Graphic Adventure compilations on the DS. All of Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9's games - I'd love to play them on the go.They'd have to have updated parsers etc, so it recognised all combinations of actions. One of the screens could be a permanent map that revealed locations/items once you'd discovered them. Also all the point & click adventures that came out over the years. I played very few of them, so to have them on the DS would be lovely.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:09 am

A remake of Dragon Strike for the current generation of consoles would be really cool!!! A 360 degree rotational camera (along with the original fixed views) and an updated graphics engine that pushes modern hardware to the limits, a multiplayer mode whereby you can play either on a single system (like the good ol' days!) or online against over 100 players in a single battlefield, as well as full spoken dialogue (the dragons can actually SPEAK to you this time!) and all the elements that made the original so great and you'll get a game that's sure to be a winner!

I mean c'mon, name me one decent PS2, Gamecube, XBox, DS, PSP or XBox 360 game where you actually get to ride on dragons into battle?

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:21 am

I mean c'mon, name me one decent PS2, Gamecube, XBox, DS, PSP or XBox 360 game where you actually get to ride on dragons into battle?
Panzer Dragoon Orta. Yummy it is too. :D

I'd love to see a full 3D Skool Daze or Jack The Nipper, actually, the 3D I reckon would make all the mischief all the better.

A DS version of Unirally would be class too, using the touch screen to do all the stunts, or possibly in the style of Sonic Rush, using 2 screens, would be brilliant.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:27 am

Smurph wrote:
Panzer Dragoon Orta. Yummy it is too. :D
And Dragon Blaze.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:21 am

OK you guys win. I meant that there's a distinct lack of them, especially in PS2 land!

As for Skool Daze 3D, Rockstar have got one coming out that follows that idea, but then we should all know what it's called by now!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:58 am

I would like to see the one party game to rule them all on the newest systems...

Deathtank Zwei

Anyone who has ever played this on the Sega Saturn will now what I'm talking about. Think of a game like worms but non-turn based so everybody moves and fire in real time making the game very frantic and fun at the same time.

Some day I hope to remake this classic on the PC, unless I see a conversion to another system first that is...

p.s: Yes I still do own this game on the Sega Saturn!

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:09 am

How about the C64 game The A-Team? :lol: Maybe this time though they could actually make a game of it!!

I'd love to see an A-Team game on today's machines! I'd hope it was free roaming much like Grand Theft Auto is but that is just my little fantasy... :roll:

Robbo.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:47 am

Danny wrote:I would like to see the one party game to rule them all on the newest systems...

Deathtank Zwei

Anyone who has ever played this on the Sega Saturn will now what I'm talking about. Think of a game like worms but non-turn based so everybody moves and fire in real time making the game very frantic and fun at the same time.

Some day I hope to remake this classic on the PC, unless I see a conversion to another system first that is...

p.s: Yes I still do own this game on the Sega Saturn!
Wasn't this the secret game found in Duke Nukem? Or something like that....

bazza6891

Re:

Post by bazza6891 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:56 am

Morkin wrote:I'd like to see Text/Graphic Adventure compilations on the DS. All of Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9's games - I'd love to play them on the go.They'd have to have updated parsers etc, so it recognised all combinations of actions. One of the screens could be a permanent map that revealed locations/items once you'd discovered them. Also all the point & click adventures that came out over the years. I played very few of them, so to have them on the DS would be lovely.
What a brilliant idea !!!! :D
I would love to see text adventures make a welcome return, the only problem is that these are regarded as such ancient fodder, and I would imagine that it would be near impossible to get someone to remake these for the current consoles (such as the DS)
What most people do not realise is that some of these games were as hard as nails, and the idea of a map unfolding as the game is explored sounds excellent.
Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that somebody in the industry is watching. :!:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:01 am

Atic Atac as an FPS would be cool (In a doom stylee).
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:13 am

bazza6891 wrote:
Morkin wrote:I'd like to see Text/Graphic Adventure compilations on the DS. All of Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9's games - I'd love to play them on the go.They'd have to have updated parsers etc, so it recognised all combinations of actions. One of the screens could be a permanent map that revealed locations/items once you'd discovered them. Also all the point & click adventures that came out over the years. I played very few of them, so to have them on the DS would be lovely.
What a brilliant idea !!!! :D
I would love to see text adventures make a welcome return, the only problem is that these are regarded as such ancient fodder, and I would imagine that it would be near impossible to get someone to remake these for the current consoles (such as the DS)
What most people do not realise is that some of these games were as hard as nails, and the idea of a map unfolding as the game is explored sounds excellent.
Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that somebody in the industry is watching. :!:
I reckon the DS is better suited to point & click stuff - Deja Vu, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max...

bazza6891

Re:

Post by bazza6891 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:18 am

Robbo wrote:How about the C64 game The A-Team? :lol: Maybe this time though they could actually make a game of it!!

I'd love to see an A-Team game on today's machines! I'd hope it was free roaming much like Grand Theft Auto is but that is just my little fantasy... :roll:

Robbo.

Hi Robbo,

I have noticed that you are in Thetford like me (I'm on Cloverfields)
Where do you tend to find your retro stuff around here ????
I visit the local boot sales, but apart from them there are no shops/secondhand stores etc anywhere near. :(