I need some help

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

I need some help

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 am

When i try to tune in my dreamcast, it doesn't come up with a good picture.

Its grey and has no sound. I'm using an rf lead on my LG portable tv.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 am

Is there a block on the RF cable with a small switch tucked away on it? That may be set incorrectly. I forget, been so long since I used RF. The obvious (not free) solution would be to invest in a proper SCART/composite/RGB/VGA cable. Anything is better than RF, which really doesn't do the DC justice.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:11 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is there a block on the RF cable with a small switch tucked away on it? That may be set incorrectly. I forget, been so long since I used RF. The obvious (not free) solution would be to invest in a proper SCART/composite/RGB/VGA cable. Anything is better than RF, which really doesn't do the DC justice.
Cheers.
I've got a scart lead coming from ebay.
I just wanna play my sodding dreamcast :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:27 am

Right, found my old RF cable (been having a clearout this week, knew I'd seen it somewhere).

Below where it says 'SELECT' on the bottom right is the switch:

You can see the switch here:

Flipping this changes between 2 PAL standards that exist, the UK is PAL-I.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:15 am

Doesn't PAL-I/G only affect the sound though?

I use my DC with the RF cable: On newer TVs, when you turn the DC on, the TV will automatically switch to the output from the Dreamcast. However, my TV is a bit older, and when I switch the DC on, it cuts out everything coming through the aerial, but I have to manually turn the TV to a VCR channel. Once there, I've never had to actually tune-in the signal though, it's as clear as a bell. So maybe it's something to do with this.

When you turn the DC on, does it immediately kick in (but with a bad picture as you say), or is everything fuzzy? If the latter, try searching through your spare/VCR channels to see if there's one with the signal coming through on it.

Also bear in mind that the DC RF boxes aren't particularly built to last (I've known them to pack in on quite a few people). If all else fails, try bending the cables a bit or squeezing the box to see if the picture kicks in.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:23 am

I've never heard of an RF signal, just kicking in!?

If it's RF you would normaly have to tune it in, even on a newer TV.

It sound's like it's just a little bit off station to me.
Did you previously use this station for another console?
The DC may just be coming in at a slightly different frequency, not all consoles/home computers use the exact same frequency. Although they are all somewhere around the same place, this is probably why you are getting a bit of a picture!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:36 am

Cant get a picture on my dc on my tv, does this mean that I just have to tune it in? I figured the DC must have bit the dust

I have a Samsung Plasma 50". Done the old flicking through the switches, doesnt seem to make a difference.
Just where is Mickey T?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:08 am

Muteki wrote:Doesn't PAL-I/G only affect the sound though?
No, its something to do with the signal transmission. Flipping that switch screws up the picture, so its visible but looks like a badly copied pirate VHS, all fuzzy and grey. My PC TV card has the same option and it messes up the telly signal just the same.

Auto switching of channels doesn't happen with RF, as there's no distinction between one RF channel and another, so unless you have no arial there's nothing changing to detect. You might experience interference, or if both inputs are crosswired the stronger DC signal might force its way to the top, but its not an auto switch of channel.

SCART can auto switch, composite doesn't.
The Universal wrote:Cant get a picture on my dc on my tv, does this mean that I just have to tune it in? I figured the DC must have bit the dust

I have a Samsung Plasma 50". Done the old flicking through the switches, doesnt seem to make a difference.
New TV? As in digital receiver. Won't work with RF cable as that's an analogue signal. You'll need to invest in an RGB/SCART/Composite/VGA cable. VGA looks fantastic, but I ended up swapping mine to S-VHS as I had a spare socket and VGA wouldn't let me rescale/stretch the image so it was stuck at 4:3 bordered.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 am

Well i managed to get a picture but none of my games work. They worked fine yesterday. It says checking disc and then does nothing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:46 am

Originals or CD-Rs? (CD-Rs can be iffy). Are you powering up with a disc in the drive? (some games don't like to start from menu, preferring to auto boot).

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Originals or CD-Rs? (CD-Rs can be iffy). Are you powering up with a disc in the drive? (some games don't like to start from menu, preferring to auto boot).
I only have official games. No pirate ones.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:53 am

nesmaster wrote:Well i managed to get a picture but none of my games work. They worked fine yesterday. It says checking disc and then does nothing.
Try a lens cleaner or Cleaning the cooling fan sometimes it build up dirt from time to time.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 am

resident paul wrote:
nesmaster wrote:Well i managed to get a picture but none of my games work. They worked fine yesterday. It says checking disc and then does nothing.
Try a lens cleaner or Cleaning the cooling fan sometimes it build up dirt from time to time.
Do i use a damp cloth?

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:58 am

nesmaster wrote:
resident paul wrote:
Do i use a damp cloth?
The cooling fan yes but I not sure on the lens.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 am

Are you trying to use the menu?

Try putting the disk in before you switch on the DC, and see if it autoloads.

If not, what is showing on the screen before it dosn't load?
Does it go blank or switch to the menu screen?

Does it work if you turn your DC upside-down, or keep the lid slightly open (just a crack).

Stay with me here...

...I'm honestly not taking the p!$$ ;)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog