Street Fighter: The Movie

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Weekend_Warrior

Street Fighter: The Movie

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:06 am

Why does everyone rip on this game?

I have the Saturn version and I honestly think the digital graphics look pretty good, and the control is definitely tight as any other Street Fighter game I've ever played.

So what gives?

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:01 am

You are in a minority of one. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just accept it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:03 am

'rip on this game' ?

I must be getting old, i'm so 'not down with the kids and the way they talk' anymore !

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:17 am

Also not down with the Yoot, but have happy memories of SF The Movie on the Saturn, recently played arcade version via emulation, and it wasnt nearly as good. I think the Saturn just had a great version, and it got slated because the arcade and PSX versions were not all that.

Certainly enjoyed playing with Kylie while she was in her prime ;)
Just where is Mickey T?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:32 am

I remember buying this when it first hit the shelves, and then I remember everyone telling me I'd made a big mistake. I didn't think so. It got some terrible reviews, but the game actually had good gameplay. Kinda like the gfx from MK and the gameplay from SF Alpha. Animation was a bit stiff, but overall it made a nice change form the cartoony gfx I was used to with SF. The game also had quite a few modes, the main story where you played as guile and made RPG like decisions (ok not quite, it was a bit lame) breathed a little bit of fresh air into the game. I used to rule at it too, I don't think my mates even beat me by one match and it saved all the match results haha.

There's also a hidden music video in the options once you complete the story mode, which was pretty cool back in the day to see FMV moving on the console.

All in all, it's nowhere near as bad as people make out, the gameplay is good, and quite a lot of depth to it. Would take a long time to complete the game with each of them characters. It was quite addictive too, more so than my copy of Virtua Fighter Remix which just sat on the shelf most of the time.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:39 am

I played the arcade version of this game a while back and I must say that this game is not bad. It is a challenging and enjoyable game with not bad digitised graphics and soundtrack. It certainly made me want to put more 3 x 10p pieces in it anyway. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 am

The obvious warning as to the mediocrity of this game is the fact that it's a game, based on a movie, based on a game. It's a black mark on Street Fighter's soul.
真・豪鬼

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:31 am

The Universal wrote:
Certainly enjoyed playing with Kylie while she was in her prime ;)

MMMmmmmm Kylie.....

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 am

Got a soft spot for the film as well, it's a enjoyable popcorn flick, a bit like Rocky IV :oops:

I've got the game on the Saturn, and it's not bad at all, I'm not very good at it though.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

focusgaming

Post by focusgaming » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Wasn't my cup of tea. Recently tested it before putting it on my Ebay store. I would love to say how great it was, but it sucks (animation is terrible). Even beating up Kylie doesn't appeal :lol:
Lee
Focus Gaming (UK)
http://www.focusgaming.co.uk

Old Skool Gamer

Post by Old Skool Gamer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:15 pm

I got this game also with my saturn for xmas 1 year, i got slated at school for being bought it, but i did actually like the game :D
My Consoles

Playstation 1
Xbox 360
Psp PHAT with 3.71 m33 cfw

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 am

I first saw this game in an arcade in the States and thought it looked really cool.

I didn't get to play it at the time, and over the years have heard so many people talk about how crap it is.

The funny thing is I do actually have the Saturn version, sat collecting dust somewhere.

But, I believe it can't be as bad as everyone says.

Well, I hope not anyway.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik