I bought a Dreamcast

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
nesmaster
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

I bought a Dreamcast

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:32 am

I know these topics have been done a million times before but here goes.
I've got £30 in my paypal account. What do i spend it on?
Please don't reccommend anything i can get at gamestation.
Last edited by nesmaster on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dizrythmia
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:48 am

Withdraw the money & put it away in savings for a rain day...

Yeah that was pretty funny :)

What systems do you own? What kinds of games do you like?

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: Need some advice on spending money

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:56 am

nesmaster wrote:Please don't reccommend anything i can get at gamestation.
Send it via PayPal to cngrannell@yahoo.com
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
nesmaster
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Withdraw the money & put it away in savings for a rain day...

Yeah that was pretty funny :)

What systems do you own? What kinds of games do you like?
Oh yeah i forgot. I have:
GBC/DS/NES/SNES/N64/GC/WII/SMS/MD/MCD/PCE/NEO GEO AES/ATARI 2600/ZX SPECCY/XBOX 360

User avatar
Stuart@retrogamer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am
Location: Bournemouth

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:02 am

Buy a DC - can you still get these in Gamestation now? :wink:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:10 am

1-2-1 Private Chat. See rear of Retro Gamer mag for further details ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:24 am

Buy a Lynx II off me.
Image

User avatar
nesmaster
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Post by nesmaster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:29 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Buy a DC - can you still get these in Gamestation now? :wink:
No offense to DC owners but WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT A DC? Everyone one i speak to says "get a DC"
I'm sorry but can somone give me a good reason why i should buy one?
Last edited by nesmaster on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:39 am

nesmaster wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Buy a DC - can you still get these in Gamestation now? :wink:
No offense to DC owners but WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT A DC? Everyone one i speak to says "get a DC"
I sorry but can somone give me a good reason why i should buy one?
Probably because there are alot of great games on it in my opinion. When I got mine in 2000 I was bowled over by the variety of fun games on it. Power Stone and Soul Calibur were fantastic beat em ups that were easy to get into so even I could get alot out of them, Arcade perfect 2D fighters were also very common - Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and 2, Capcom Vs SNK 1 and 2, various SNK games, Guilty Gear X, Street Fighter 3 etc. which as I am a huge 2D fan was all the reason I needed to get one.
Loads of Shmups also graced the console (and keep it going even now) from the well known Ikaruga, to Bangai O, Border Down, Under Defeat... the list goes on.
Crazy Taxi was great fun, an addictive racing game that I was actually good at, Sonic Adventure at the time was mind blowing and then the later DC games like Head Hunter, Rez, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue were experiences that only the DC could give you.

Even though most of the game I loved on the DC got ported sooner or later to other consoles, I still hold the DC as one if not my favorite console simply because it was all about the games.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
MikeHaggar
Posts: 4787
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:40 am

nesmaster wrote:No offense to DC owners but WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT A DC? Everyone one i speak to says "get a DC"
I sorry but can somone give me a good reason why i should buy one?
If you buy one you'll know what's special about the DC ;)

User avatar
Stuart@retrogamer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am
Location: Bournemouth

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:44 am

ShadowMan wrote:
nesmaster wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Buy a DC - can you still get these in Gamestation now? :wink:
No offense to DC owners but WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT A DC? Everyone one i speak to says "get a DC"
I sorry but can somone give me a good reason why i should buy one?
Probably because there are alot of great games on it in my opinion. When I got mine in 2000 I was bowled over by the variety of fun games on it. Power Stone and Soul Calibur were fantastic beat em ups that were easy to get into so even I could get alot out of them, Arcade perfect 2D fighters were also very common - Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and 2, Capcom Vs SNK 1 and 2, various SNK games, Guilty Gear X, Street Fighter 3 etc. which as I am a huge 2D fan was all the reason I needed to get one.
Loads of Shmups also graced the console (and keep it going even now) from the well known Ikaruga, to Bangai O, Border Down, Under Defeat... the list goes on.
Crazy Taxi was great fun, an addictive racing game that I was actually good at, Sonic Adventure at the time was mind blowing and then the later DC games like Head Hunter, Rez, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue were experiences that only the DC could give you.

Even though most of the game I loved on the DC got ported sooner or later to other consoles, I still hold the DC as one if not my favorite console simply because it was all about the games.
What Shadowman just said. :wink:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:01 am

nesmaster wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Buy a DC - can you still get these in Gamestation now? :wink:
No offense to DC owners but WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT A DC? Everyone one i speak to says "get a DC"
I'm sorry but can somone give me a good reason why i should buy one?
1) Its cheap.

2) Multiple quality platform exclusive titles across a range of genres.

3) Its cheap.

4) 'Backups' and homebrew run on unmodified systems and is readily available for download.

5) Its cheap.

6) Visually its very nice and with a VGA box you can chuck it through the PC input on a TFT telly.

7) Its cheap.

8] Everybody else has one, even the poor kid down the street, so you're the only one missing out.

9) Its cheap.

10) You get the opportunity to tell people on forums they should get one because you've seen the light.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Spooky
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Post by Spooky » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:28 am

I bought a DC from a friend a few months ago, and even though I never took enough time to play games properly (I bought about 20 of them along with the consoles), there is incredible variety in the choice of game, good quality too and it's cheap... Did anyone mention that? :lol:

People might throw stones at me, but I had the most fun playing Virtua Striker... (I stopped playing Shenmue after 10 minutes... :roll: )
Image
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

User avatar
andy vaisey
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 am

With £30 you could probably buy a few thousand shares in Northern Rock at the moment... ;)

User avatar
EvilArmourKing
Posts: 2869
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Mishima Zaibatsu HQ
Contact:

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:30 am

Donate it to a charity.

And if you have the nerve to ask "WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT A DC?" - I'd make sure that money goes to the Spastic Society.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests