Futuire of gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Futuire of gaming

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 pm

Hey ,I've just read an interesting quote on the internet

Chris Crawford (a game designer , apparently) said:

'The computer games industry is here to stay , but it could
well spend it's future in a coma , without hope of future adaptive growth:
technically alive but dead in every meaningful dimension'

I've got to say that with the worringly succesful EA franchises ,
that he could be right

Any other thoughts?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:16 pm

Fifa Roxx?

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm

The only thing that bothers me about future gaming, is downloading. I dont care how much a game costs i want it in a box with instructions. The day gaming gos download only is the day i stop gaming.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:34 pm

M.A.G wrote:The only thing that bothers me about future gaming, is downloading. I dont care how much a game costs i want it in a box with instructions. The day gaming gos download only is the day i stop gaming.
Or even worse,you buy the game in a box,in the shop,and still have to
download

Thanks,STEAM!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

comicalgames

Post by comicalgames » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm

I'm more concerned about the 'Futuire' of the English language 8)
Please help raise awareness about Organ Donation in the UK - http://www.livelifethengivelife.co.uk

Add yourself to the register:
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... onsent.jsp

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:02 pm

comicalgames wrote:I'm more concerned about the 'Futuire' of the English language 8)

I had a few 'i's going spare....
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:51 am

M.A.G wrote:The only thing that bothers me about future gaming, is downloading. I dont care how much a game costs i want it in a box with instructions. The day gaming gos download only is the day i stop gaming.
I agree, I want to walk into a shop, pick up the product and pay for it using real money, I'm not interested in downloads at all..

revgiblet

Re: Futuire of gaming

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:38 am

paranoid marvin wrote: Chris Crawford (a game designer , apparently) said:
Have you never played Balance of Power or Trust and Betrayal: The Legacy of Siboot? :)

I agree with the general feeling here about downloads. The 'click' of opening a new box = brilliant.

I have to say that I think that the situation is worse for PAL gamers. I don't hear Japanese and US gamers worrying about the same thing (maybe a fellow forumite could confirm or deny this?) because they get the good games regardless.

We only get good games if companies are prepared to go through the cost and time of converting the code and translating a game (often into several different European languages) and then watch in horror as they make number 36 in the charts behind FIFA 1971 to FIFA 2006.

I think (hope?) it's a particularly unique problem to our region, where we either get a game six months later than everybody else or not at all.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:28 am

I wouldnt be that bothered if games were downloads only. I do like the packaging and instructions but after that games installed i rarely go back to the instructions and it just sits forever on the shelf looking pretty.

Most of the games i play i dont really read the instructions and just try to get straight into the game, or when i do read them i dont often have to go back to it so i just have a bulky box on the shelf which i'm only keeping for when i sell the game.

Even with much faster broadband connection etc with all these huge film intros etc for games i cant see 100% downloading out there.

The one good thing might be companies forget ploughing in tons of money into some boring 30 second clip you cant get past without watching it and instead use it for the actual game engine or levels instead.

Thats why i'm so happy Warioware was a huge hit, no huge 3d graphics or cinema quality sound or intros, just relys on gameplay.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:48 am

Id rather just have downloads, stupid boxes just clutter the place up. Id like to see the downloads available as ISO images tho so that users can make their own backup CDs/DVDs so the game doenst have to be permantly installed.

READBOY

Post by READBOY » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 am

Gaming going mainstream (thanks Sony) is going to have the same effect as it had in the music industry. Middle of the road high sales product will become more formulaic, boring and sterile. However there will always be the mavericks who continue to push the boundaries but never gain mainstream acceptance and high sales figures (The bedroom coders).

Innovation will reside on XBOX Live Arcade and on the PC. Mainstream games now cost too much to develop to risk the capital outlay on a new idea.

For me, there is more variety in retro games I've missed out on playing , than there is at the Game store down the high street.

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 am

READBOY wrote: For me, there is more variety in retro games I've missed out on playing , than there is at the Game store down the high street.
Agreed. Although simplistic, I was amazed by the variety of games on the TV Boy (Atari 2600 plug & play with 100+ games), compared to the limited game styles of current machines.

Morkin

Re: Futuire of gaming

Post by Morkin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:39 am

revgiblet wrote:

I have to say that I think that the situation is worse for PAL gamers. I don't hear Japanese and US gamers worrying about the same thing (maybe a fellow forumite could confirm or deny this?) because they get the good games regardless.

I've imported my Gamecube & GBA games for many years & my only regret is that I didn't start importing earlier. All my DS games now come from the States, so I get my games that I want months earlier than if I had to wait till they came out here (if at all). It won't bother many people, as many are happy to wait (for whatever reason), but for me, the second that it comes out in the US, I want it. :o

I love the whole process of getting a new game in the post, the thrill of removing the cellophane, the smell of the manual etc etc. Sad I know. :oops:

It'll take part of the fun out of gaming (for me anyway) if it's all downloadable in the future.

The Universal

Re:

Post by The Universal » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:34 pm

READBOY wrote:Gaming going mainstream (thanks Sony) is going to have the same effect as it had in the music industry. Middle of the road high sales product will become more formulaic, boring and sterile. However there will always be the mavericks who continue to push the boundaries but never gain mainstream acceptance and high sales figures (The bedroom coders).

Innovation will reside on XBOX Live Arcade and on the PC. Mainstream games now cost too much to develop to risk the capital outlay on a new idea.

For me, there is more variety in retro games I've missed out on playing , than there is at the Game store down the high street.

While i agree with the sentiment live games costs a few hundred thousand to develop, there arent going to be that many new softcos appearing on it. Most of the games are already established either on pc or vintage. And made by companies that can afford to give it a go. Unless MS really want a product youre on your own. Factor in the MS standard and a group of mates in someones bedroom just isnt going to get there. It was hard enough for developers to get Sony Europe to release metal slug. Valve and Microsoft although looking like the saviour of independents have actually become the new EAs between the three of them they have all but cornered the gaming market.
Just where is Mickey T?

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:36 pm

,,,,,,,,,,, ''''' . . . . . .

And you thought I had forgotten the puncuation in the last post. Just misplaced it. :lol:
Just where is Mickey T?