Attention all casual-stroke-non Retro Gamer readers...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:17 am

Turrican wrote:say you have a TV show like Knight Rider and you're always used to the Hoff being the lead.... then that changes along with the feel of the show and people will stop watching... it's the same here with the magazine, well to me at least.
To me, it's more like the much-respected original director (Martyn) is now an associate producer, and the director and production manager are trying to widen the show's appeal by using modern effects. However, the cast is largely the same, with a few additions.

In terms of material, the only major shift I can see (and one that, frankly, Martyn started anyway during the last few issues of the Live run) is a move towards more gaming coverage, rather than hardware and 'generalised' articles on genre. (In other words, we now get 'The making of Hitchhiker's Guide', rather than an Infocom piece that aims to cover a bunch of games.) Although I've no idea what Martyn's plans for the mag were post-issue 18, I suspect that the balance of features wouldn't be significantly different to how the mag is now, although, clearly, it would have looked very different, what with Markie not being involved.
I do agree with the fact that both mags (all mags i s'pose) had their filler, but the filler in the older RG was interesting enough to think it was ok to have.
I guess that's horses for courses, and, ironically, it appears the galleries are back this issue anyway, although as double-page spreads, rather than a dozen pages. I've never really had a problem with the large grabs with commentary, since they get more variety into the mag, and stop people complaining that 'x' platform hasn't been covered enough, but I'm well aware that they're the second most controversial element (the most being the bargain hunt standing copy).
although the 0898 numbers at the back of the mag are inappropriate, especially if these are magazines that some parents may want to give to their kids as examples of what they played when they were younger. I know it's advertising, but come on.
We've done the advertising thing to death on this forum. Most similar titles carry these ads, and so I'm going to delete any further commentary in this thread about them, should it appear.
What I say in these threads are relevant to their subject matter. If we didn't post in here, like the moderators ask, then Retro Gamer would not get the answer to the question that this post poses in the first place.
And with that, I can fully agree. Constructive criticism is fine, and while I don't agree with much of what you say, you certainly have the right to say it, and this thread is the place to do so. I'm also happy to see that this discussion is being conducted in a cordial manner, rather than flaring up into a slagging match.

*adopts Futurama voice*
Well done, everybody!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:11 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
although the 0898 numbers at the back of the mag are inappropriate, especially if these are magazines that some parents may want to give to their kids as examples of what they played when they were younger. I know it's advertising, but come on.
We've done the advertising thing to death on this forum. Most similar titles carry these ads, and so I'm going to delete any further commentary in this thread about them, should it appear.
Do bear in mind that I haven't really been in this forum for a considerable amount of time, so missing arguments like this can happen, but I'm sure whatever happened with regards to discussions on this matter have been done to the hilt.

I know some, well most by the looks of it lol, people don't agree with me, but then that's everyone's opinion and a democracy in full effect. I'm never saying that I won't give it another go in future because it's been so long since I actually bought RG that the mag may well have changed from then.

Anyway, I've said all the original stuff that I can, if I carry on, I'll be treading old ground and that's not productive. Someone else take the stand... :)
It's like an old pair of slippers, isn't it?

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm one of the none readers.

I did subscribe about a year ago but i was finding i wasn't reading enough of each edition to warrent keeping the subscription up.

Just to contradict myself a bit....it is a great mag.

I still buy it occasionally when there are lots of features i want to read but the £4.99 price means it's not financially viable to buy it every month based on how much of it i would read.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:45 pm

I really don't get people complaining about a fiver.

A packet of fags and a couple of pints costs double that these days.

vixen

Post by vixen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:04 pm

i get what you guys are saying about the price, and even tho i'm a student, i still manage to afford the price asked for RG.

and yes, i know the magazine will last allot longer than a pack of fags and a couple of pints, but sometimes there needs to be a limit.

to justify what i'm saying....
i normally buy computer magazines along the lines of advanced photoshop, which offer a free cd, and other general computer magazines. their size/thickness is somewhat different to RG and their price is different too.

give a little take allot anyone?! :?:
nuckin' futs!
bompletely collocksed
shotally t*tfaced

*sigs gone due to being too big!* THERE...ya happy?! miserable, bland, plain people.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:27 pm

As nearly everyone here knows, I've been buying Retro Gamer since issue #1.

Whilst I've always been quite happy reading RG magazine, I've found that the tone of the later/newest issues lack a few things:

No Coverdisk - I found this quite useful and enjoyable. The selection chosen on these was of good quality - and back in the old days (of the early issues of RG) I only had a dial-up connection and hence downloading this stuff was painful. On top of that - I really don't have the time to go traipsing round the internet looking for this stuff.

Bargain Hunt - The prices are so off it's unbelievable.

Conversion Capers - I (and I'm sure many others) really enjoyed this regular feature. I'm sure there are many games out there that can be covered in this way!

From The Forum section in the letter's page - Despite some forum members having really valid points that answer the question perfectly, you still pick the same people to appear in the mag, even if their answers are completely ridiculous.

The Price !!! - although I've been paying the price of £4.99 for quite a while, I've been a regular buyer of other PC magazines (Computer Music, PC Pro, PC Gamer and PC Format) all of which incorporate a cover disk and a higher page count for approximately the same price. I do think that £4.99 can be a bit steep considering how thin RG is these days. Maybe RG needs a good overhaul.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:40 pm

woody.cool wrote:
No Coverdisk - I found this quite useful and enjoyable. The selection chosen on these was of good quality - and back in the old days (of the early issues of RG) I only had a dial-up connection and hence downloading this stuff was painful. On top of that - I really don't have the time to go traipsing round the internet looking for this stuff.
This has already been covered loads of times - a monthly coverdisc would eat into the budget so there would be less pages. Besides I think its fair to say that most people have broadband these days . Whilst a few of the coverdiscs were very good (the Konix one being a highlight), they did get progressively worse. I would much rather have a high standard magazine without a coverdisc.
Bargain Hunt - The prices are so off it's unbelievable.
Agreed that this section needs a spring clean.
Conversion Capers - I (and I'm sure many others) really enjoyed this regular feature. I'm sure there are many games out there that can be covered in this way!
Again I agree that this was a great regular and lots of people seem to feel the same (judging from feedback lately).
From The Forum section in the letter's page - Despite some forum members having really valid points that answer the question perfectly, you still pick the same people to appear in the mag, even if their answers are completely ridiculous.
Correct me If I am wrong, but havent you appeared in the section? Personally I think its usually a good mix between sensible and funny comments.
The Price !!! - although I've been paying the price of £4.99 for quite a while, I've been a regular buyer of other PC magazines (Computer Music, PC Pro, PC Gamer and PC Format) all of which incorporate a cover disk and a higher page count for approximately the same price. I do think that £4.99 can be a bit steep considering how thin RG is these days. Maybe RG needs a good overhaul.
Those magazines are likely to carry quite a bit more advertising than RG. You have to remember that RG is a very niche title. I think a fiver is quite reasonable for a magazine that carries such a broad range of articles for a mostly core readership.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:59 pm

LeeT wrote:
woody.cool wrote:From The Forum section in the letter's page - Despite some forum members having really valid points that answer the question perfectly, you still pick the same people to appear in the mag, even if their answers are completely ridiculous.
Correct me If I am wrong, but havent you appeared in the section? Personally I think its usually a good mix between sensible and funny comments.
... then why you you keep picking The Master, who continually asks the same pointless question !?! (the "who's your favourite Dr Who?" one)
As much as I saw the funny side of it first time around, it's getting quite tedious. On top of of that, not everyone likes Dr Who !!!

Also, I know I have featured in the "from the forum" section but I tend to give a respectable answer (and although not always, I do sometimes drop humour in there as well). My goal is not to appear in the "from the forum" section every month, I have a more of a life than that!

thl

Post by thl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:24 pm

woody.cool wrote:
LeeT wrote:
woody.cool wrote:From The Forum section in the letter's page - Despite some forum members having really valid points that answer the question perfectly, you still pick the same people to appear in the mag, even if their answers are completely ridiculous.
... then why you you keep picking The Master, who continually asks the same pointless question !?! (the "who's your favourite Dr Who?" one)
As much as I saw the funny side of it first time around, it's getting quite tedious. On top of of that, not everyone likes Dr Who !!!

Also, I know I have featured in the "from the forum" section but I tend to give a respectable answer (and although not always, I do sometimes drop humour in there as well). My goal is not to appear in the "from the forum" section every month, I have a more of a life than that!
I agree with you woody.cool. I'm starting to suspect that the same usernames had been used over and over again. I yet haven't appear in not a single 'From The Forum' section at all and despite those failed attempts, my chance of breaking into it looks limited.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Or maybe the people who appear more often are more interesting than you.

I would hate to see the RG guys having to tally up who has been in the mag before making there choices. If someone says something funny, interesting, worth printing then that is all that should matter.

FWIW, I like the Dr Who question (and I don't like Dr Who), its like the forum's silly question, a bit of a tradition. I hope they ask it in every interview (though its a shame it wasn't best James Bond).

thl

Post by thl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:53 pm

SirClive wrote:Or maybe the people who appear more often are more interesting than you.
Don't know if it's true or not, but we'll wait and see. Sometimes it can be very competitive regarding the number of usernames responded to the questions.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:54 pm

thl wrote:
SirClive wrote:Or maybe the people who appear more often are more interesting than you.
Don't know if it's true or not, but we'll wait and see. Sometimes it can be very competitive regarding the number of usernames responded to the questions.
What do you mean competitive?

thl

Post by thl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:56 pm

SirClive wrote:
thl wrote:
What do you mean competitive?
Well, those who're looking for a bit of fame I guess. :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 pm

or maybe that is just their answer :?

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:07 am

i love the idea of a game dedicated to retro but i don't buy it that often mostly becouse i browse it before i buy it,and not all the featurd articals appeal to me...i'm not the most technical person in the world and have had the (probably wrong) impression that the magazine assumes all retro fans are home brewers and modders! or understand all technical jargon involved in games programing....frankly the few issues i have bought have left me feeling slightly unintelligent and although this may be the case i do not wish to be reminded by a magazine
i am a gamer thats it...i don't know how they are made don't really care...i just like to buy it plug it in and play it to death!

don't get me wrong...most features are great but some give me a headache...its the same reason i have been watching the rg forums for a while but have only recently joined simply 'cos i didn't want peeps telling me i'm an idiot.....and its already happend once!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...