Attention all casual-stroke-non Retro Gamer readers...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 am

I much prefer the new look and style, previously i always bought Retro Gamer but always thought it didnt look as good as it could and for me the articles were way too long. Much more to read in the new look Retro Gamer from Imagine.

As for the back to the 80's articles i'm a huge fan of these, 'lazy filler' or not its one of the best items for me and one i always make sure i read early on.

I've always liked the last two screenshot bits, the 'banal twittering attached' i find interesting to read and the screenshots bring back some great memories.

If people are so negative about the mag and dont even buy it why do they bother posting here ? I hate Boyzone with a passion for example so thats why i wouldnt go to one of their forums even if they were talking about stuff i was interested in (somehow) off topic.

Isnt meant to be a huge knock at Crunchy and co but i dont see what positives you get from being here if you constantly slate the mag and dont buy it ?!

As for the content we all know how difficult is it to please everyone, same with the style, some people like the old look, others the new. Regarding games i prefer 8 bit, others want much more later coverage.

I'm happy as hell theres a mag out there covering a large part of what i like to play. But just so difficult to please everyone.

king monkey

Post by king monkey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:23 pm

I thought the post was aimed at people who dont buy the magazine, and asking why not? Maybe i mis-understood the title? :wink:

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 pm

I collected every issue from 1 to 27, then took a break and didn't pick it up again until recently. Why? It seemed to be getting a touch repetative. The Speccy seems to have had at least half a dozen articles devoted to it, ditto the Atari 2600. It seemed to always be the same machines that were covered (the popular ones) and we never got articles about obscure consoles like, for example, the Bally Astrocade or the Pippin Atmark. The latter especially would make for fascinating reading.

So why did I start buying it again recently? I don't know. It seems more interesting, but I can't quite put my finger on why - certainly there doesn't seem to have been a major change to the content. Maybe it's just that after not reading the mag for quite a few months it has stopped feeling so tired.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

yamiiguy

Post by yamiiguy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm going to buy my first issue tomorrow and I can't wait. Maybe you could include a retro-themed gift as well? Not every issue but occasionally, just something like a poster

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:36 pm

The recent Electronic Arts articles recently were pretty dire, seemed like a promotion for the company although I don't think it was meant to be.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:39 pm

sscott wrote:The recent Electronic Arts articles recently were pretty dire, seemed like a promotion for the company although I don't think it was meant to be.
I disagree with that - did you not read the bit about the programmers not being happy with the working conditions?

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:48 pm

LeeT wrote:
sscott wrote:The recent Electronic Arts articles recently were pretty dire, seemed like a promotion for the company although I don't think it was meant to be.
I disagree with that - did you not read the bit about the programmers not being happy with the working conditions?
I did, and I'm certainly not suggesting you are in cahoots with the company! Just the overall content of the article (including quotes from the company reps) seemed a bit promo to me. Comment wasn't meant to question your integrity. :wink:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:56 pm

sscott wrote:
LeeT wrote:
I did, and I'm certainly not suggesting you are in cahoots with the company! Just the overall content of the article (including quotes from the company reps) seemed a bit promo to me. Comment wasn't meant to question your integrity. :wink:
Thats good, as I didn't write the EA article :wink:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:39 pm

I enjoyed the EA piece. I was surprised as I normally leave those big articles altogether. I preferred the early-days account, though.

Can we not have a big Sega History piece now, please? With Stolar, Mee etc getting grilled?
Thoughts and prayers.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:10 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Funny how people forget that old RG also had plenty of fillter, not least up to a dozen pages of scanned adverts (notably for Atari) and huge leader imagery on many of the features. I've done editorial page counts, image counts, filler counts and advertising counts in the past, and the two eras of the mag actually come out about the same for each.

As for appealing to a wider fanbase via the fanzine style, I can't see that happening, nor can I see it helping in the main. Frankly, I don't really understand how the high production values of the magazine take anything away from the writing, nor how the magazine's copy is somehow devoid of personality due to the clean design. That said, I did get somewhat worried with the cookie-cutter nature of the making-ofs a while back, but the reintroduction of sprites peppered about the place suggested the more vanilla features were down to time constraints.

It's a shame, Turrican, that you won't buy the magazine, purely on the basis of what it looks like, but there you go. Note, however, that the community aspect is one I know Retro Gamer feels strongly about, hence a few pieces are going to be introduced specifically to engage the readers in a fairly direct manner.

Avoiding the issue of price for a while which is the ONLY reason I don't shell out every month...I never bought the issue earlier on, but have bought early issues off Ebay etc...and I must say I prefer the way it's done now.
I think the presentation is excellent, and speaking for myself of a quality retro fans have waited for in a mag. I felt the earlier ones although great in content were more of a fanzine nature and there are fanzines on RGs out there as well (which I'm also not knocking). :)
You can't please all the people all the time though.

em22

nice!

Post by em22 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Well for me I was buying since very early on, issue 6 I think - but it became so difficult to pick up in any big stores - I kept promising I would buy a subscription - but every time I would remeber to do so - I would be low on pennies. But now I have finally landed a job that pays me for my skills instead of bleeding me dry any paying me peanuts, they now oay me larger peanuts, but its a start.

So I can afford a subscription now - and you little blurb on the loading page of this months mag urged me to finally subscribe instead of lurking!....

The problem is with me these days is that over the years I have subscribed to so many forums, sights and other talky formats, I now can bearly force my self to once again involve myself with friends that eventullay just move one... (sob i know)

but yes, you finally made me register a voice my tiny opinion :)

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:13 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:...It's a shame, Turrican, that you won't buy the magazine, purely on the basis of what it looks like, but there you go. Note, however, that the community aspect is one I know Retro Gamer feels strongly about, hence a few pieces are going to be introduced specifically to engage the readers in a fairly direct manner.
It's not really just about how it looks, Craig. It's also about the vibe that it gives you, a feel or whatever you want to call it. I know this is a strange way of using an example, but let's say you have a TV show like Knight Rider and you're always used to the Hoff being the lead.... then that changes along with the feel of the show and people will stop watching... it's the same here with the magazine, well to me at least.

I do agree with the fact that both mags (all mags i s'pose) had their filler, but the filler in the older RG was interesting enough to think it was ok to have. Those sections in the new mag with one huge pixelated screenshot and a paragraph or two spread over two pages seem a tad on the overkill side to me, although the 0898 numbers at the back of the mag are inappropriate, especially if these are magazines that some parents may want to give to their kids as examples of what they played when they were younger. I know it's advertising, but come on.

As I've already said, the content may be similar, but the layout leaves me cold and I feel that the layout of something does make a difference to the way folk perceive it, but then people are always going to have their own preferences... tabloid or spreadsheet, hardback or paperback, old or new... it's just the way we are.

...and with regards to this...
psj2809 wrote:If people are so negative about the mag and dont even buy it why do they bother posting here ? I hate Boyzone with a passion for example so thats why i wouldnt go to one of their forums even if they were talking about stuff i was interested in (somehow) off topic.

Isnt meant to be a huge knock at Crunchy and co but i dont see what positives you get from being here if you constantly slate the mag and dont buy it ?!

What I say in these threads are relevant to their subject matter. If we didn't post in here, like the moderators ask, then Retro Gamer would not get the answer to the question that this post poses in the first place.
It's like an old pair of slippers, isn't it?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:43 am

Well put Turrican, and while I don't personally agree with you (I prefer the newer issues to older, but do enjoy both) your posts are honest and exactly what the topic was asking for. And it's feedback which may assist them into creating a mag which will appeal to most- But not all, as that is impossible. :)

vixen

Post by vixen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:11 am

i only started buying the magazine a couple of issues ago.

until then, i never had the money to get it.

i started using the forum when i found it in retro gamer.

i like the way the mag is set out, the articles are interesting and so far i have no quibble with anything....except maybe the bargain hunt price listings tend to be a bit off, some prices being quite a bit off.

would also be nice to see another bargain hunt section on games and thier prices too, perhaps a different console's games in each issue, or an A to B guide running through the issues?

i may be wrong about what i'm saying, but it's nice to air my views.

i don't know if it's been done in the past or not as never having bought a past issue i am un-aware. if you have done a similar thing, my apologies.
nuckin' futs!
bompletely collocksed
shotally t*tfaced

*sigs gone due to being too big!* THERE...ya happy?! miserable, bland, plain people.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 am

Turrican wrote:although the 0898 numbers at the back of the mag are inappropriate, especially if these are magazines that some parents may want to give to their kids as examples of what they played when they were younger. I know it's advertising, but come on.
Don't go there, it's been well highlighted on these forums before, trust me ;)