Attention all casual-stroke-non Retro Gamer readers...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Stuart@retrogamer

Attention all casual-stroke-non Retro Gamer readers...

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:41 am

Firstly, we appreciate that this should have really gone into our feedback section, but seeing as this area gets the most traffic, it made more sense for us to drop this thread in here.

Basically, Darran and I were wondering how many people use the forum but don’t read the magazine.

We want to help Retro Gamer grow and appeal to more people, so if there's something that we can do to help make it more appealing to you we want to know about it.

P.S, if you prefer not to leave a post over the forum, just PM Darran or myself.

Thanks guys

Stuart and Darran
Last edited by Stuart@retrogamer on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 am

I've read the magazine since issue 2 (and damn you for not re-printing the first issue! :mad:). I've never gotten around to subscribing though. :oops: May I take this opportunity to thank you and the whole team for an awesome read every month, the mag always rules! :) :) It's one of only two magazines I buy regularly (the other being Total Film :shock:)

Marmito

Post by Marmito » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:47 am

Dont worry shall buy one next time i see it
Insert Points Podcast. 'Cause otherwise it's like staring at a wall. With no music' To find more go to http://insertpoints.blogspot.com/

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:58 am

Let's just say I'm a part-time reader of RG... but I might subscribe soon, or move to England! :lol: The thing is, I can't find it in France, and the subscription was a bit expensive for me, but I finally came to the conclusion that it's worth it... so keep up the good work! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 am

Spooky wrote:Let's just say I'm a part-time reader of RG... but I might subscribe soon, or move to England! :lol: The thing is, I can't find it in France, and the subscription was a bit expensive for me, but I finally came to the conclusion that it's worth it... so keep up the good work! :wink:
It's not sold in many shops in England in my experience either! :shock: There's only one shop within a radius of about 10 miles that sells it near me. I may have to subscribe soon too. :o

I don't know the in's and out's of the industry, but getting the mag in more UK shops will obviously increase the number of readers :)

Marmito

Post by Marmito » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:24 am

Think i once saw it in Morrisons.
Insert Points Podcast. 'Cause otherwise it's like staring at a wall. With no music' To find more go to http://insertpoints.blogspot.com/

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:24 pm

I always buy the magazine. I understand how the economics of a niche magazine work I think so I put up with the £4.99 price tag. I think many forum members would be happy to have a greater input in the magazine. I spent 2 hours setting up and taking Atari XL photos which ulitmately weren't used as I've just found out! But I don't mind because if you needed them you'd have used 'em. Retro Gamer started my interest in collecting and coupled with an understanding wife I'm starting to build a collection that I'm proud of. I also understand that not every article will please everyone - how can it? The front covers recently have been great and bold and I simply can't understand the criticism of these. Im must say that in some stores it is easy to miss Retro Gamer and I have deliberatley moved the odd copy higher up the shelf to a more prominent position. :) Not sure if any of this is relevant but keep up the good work!

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm

sscott wrote:I must say that in some stores it is easy to miss Retro Gamer and I have deliberatley moved the odd copy higher up the shelf to a more prominent position. :) Not sure if any of this is relevant but keep up the good work!
I have done a similar guerilla tactic in WHSmiths at Kings Cross, putting a couple of copies in front of the mag next to it. :D

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Good topic.

I bought it each month religiously for the first year or so, then there was a period where maybe 5 or 6 months would lapse before me buying another issue.

I have currently taken up the '3 issues for £1' offer, but am not sure if I will continue the sub after that.

For me, the compilation Retor Gamer 'annual' fits my needs perfectly. I would be happy to spend £10 - £15 for one of these every 6 months than buy a monthly magazine.

Unfortunately, as those compilations seem to be published on an ad hoc basis, I just got into the routine of flicking through each RG in WHSmiths to see if I wanted to buy that month's issue or not.

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 pm

The problem is distribution... I used to see it in some shops within a fifty mile radius of me... not any more though (I live in the US now)...

Nowadays, I have a subscription, but the subscription processors seem to have got a lot worse in the last few months... I'm missing issues left, right and center.

Andrew

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:35 am

Bought my first issue on a trip to London. Got my subscription shortly after it, because there's no retrogaming magazine here in Germany. It's really enjoyable to read too :D

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 am

RG was up to about issue 10 or 11 when I finally found it, I managed to build a collection from 2 onwards thanks to a bunch of "10 buck two packs" that sometimes had a RG and a crap mag, and sometimes TWO RGs for less than one! Huzzah!!

Anyway, if I threatened to stop reading the magazine unless there was a Pinball feature that covered Pinball itself and not just games related tables (Goddamn Wild West Shooting Range article), would it work?

*sound of total silence*

*&^%. I thought I was onto something there.

How bout an article on anime inspired games? Theres a few cool ones out there, and games like Snatcher look like theyre based on animes, so I don't know. Just a thought.

Seriously, I ask, nay demand a pinball article about normal pinball history and tables, and offer the shooting range article as my grounds for approval. You, sirs, have offended me and I demand satisfaction! :wink:

*looks for glove to slap....well, someone in the face with*

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 am

I've been subscribing for quite some time, but I find that I'm either busy or don't really have the motivation to read the mags half the time, so I'm quite far behind (Issue 41 or so). I'm currently considering whether I'll bother to renew my sub or not at the moment.

Maybe if there was the chance to have more PDF releases that I could read while I work, I'd get through more, although I realise this could pose problems if they start getting shared around.

With regard to content, although I do enjoy a lot of it, I do find some of the articles a bit heavy, particularly when I have no prior experience/nostalgic value of the game or software house in the spotlight. I think in this sense, perhaps I'd like to see more opinionated writing come into the larger features rather than purely factual accounts with the odd comment that slightly wavers from the neutral standpoint. Yes, the full-page game screenshot parts do offer this sometimes, but overall I'd prefer to see more 'magazine' reading than 'history book' :)

I'd also like to see more spin-off features, such as 'best gaming easter eggs', 'most interesting cheat codes that programmers implemented', 'greatest gaming controversies' and so on, instead of either the coverage of single games, series or developers and not too much deviation.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:09 am

Despite being a subscriber since issue 3, I am further behind than in reading than Sureshot, I am only halfway through ish 39!!

I would echo the call for more one off articles.

Seems like this thread is pretty much full of people who DO buy the mag though :?

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 pm

I used to get them from WHSmith in town, but I haven't seen them for months. :(

But I still hang around here, and maybe one day I will find a copy somewhere...
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol: