Neo Geo Pocket Colour

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Neo Geo Pocket Colour

Post by SirClive » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Just received my Pocket Colour in the post today :) :D :lol:

Only problem is I don't have any games :? :( :cry:

What should I get? (I know there was a piece on this is one of the back issues, but have packed my mags away as I am moving house next week).

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:09 pm

King of fighters R2 is a good game.Metal Slug is suppose to be the doggies on it too.

Deadl0ck

Post by Deadl0ck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Pac-Man is also excellent. The ghost patterns are the same as the original arcade, so it's just like an emulated arcade Pac-Man.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:38 pm

That's ironic, I'm in the exact same situation! Only so many times can you check out your horoscope before you crave some gaming action. I just hope those few loose carts I ordered from Play-Asia arrive sharpish.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Cardfighter Clash, that's an order ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:33 am

Cardfighter's Clash is a must buy. It doesn't matter if you get the SNK or Capcom version. There are only small differences between them. I've got both and they're equally brilliant.

Faselei - Giant robot turn-based strategy game. A lot of fun.

Puzzle Bobble

Sonic Pocket Adventure

NGPC is a superb handheld. The microswitched stick and buttons are brilliant, as is the battery life.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Mike Chicago

Post by Mike Chicago » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:49 am

For starters, go with Match of the Millenium. The NGPC is a portable fighter's dream with that combo-friendly clicky stick, and MOTM sums up the best of all SNK and Capcom fighters in one fun package. The mini-games are a blast, too, and you can actually upload some earned data from that game to a Dreamcast if you get hardcore into it.

I'm a huge NGPC fan, and the titles mentioned already are plenty good, but I'll go ahead and rattle off a few games that I've played the most over the 6 years I've owned the system:

Neo Turf Masters might be the system's best title. It's a bright arcade golf title in the same vein as Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf, but with spot-on physics and sound. It's the perfect portable game due to an auto-save mechanism after each hole. It's not as cartoonish as the other golf games -- definitely light on the goofiness -- and includes enough sim elements to make it very addictive for an adult gamer, year after year. The presentation and color palate is just sterling.

Big Bang Pro Wrestling might be difficult to enjoy if you've never played time-based Japanese wrestling games, but if you're a fan of the similarly rhythmic Dance Dance Revolution genre, you might be at home here amidst a full roster of exotic grapplers. BBPW is less a button masher and more an exercise in timing. Think the moves out beforehand and time it like music after the initial grapple. You'll end up throwing dudes into caskets, bashing metal chairs on heads and hamming it up for the rowdy crowd. This game is worth the learning curve.

Ganbare Neo Poke Kun is the Seaman of the platform -- an unusual, subversive virtual pet. Instead of a fish man in a tank, you have a little man shaped like a grain of rice in a fully stocked human bachelor pad. You tease him by sending crazy nose-picking guests to the door. You turn off his lights for little reason. You force him to get ready for work. You generally make his life unpleasant, but he rewards you for less-sadistic strategies by unlocking ancient arcade games for you to play independently. Soon you'll be able to enjoy some Pong or Phoenix on your NGPC. This is a psychotic game. If you can find it, buy it.

Cool Boarders Pocket should stand out to you, as you are a retro gamer (you're here, right?). This is a classic arcade title packaged as an extreme sports port -- but it's not extreme, it's just Paperboy! Yes, it's essentially Paperboy on ice. Pick a cute character and avoid bears, giant snowballs, cliffs and other baddies while trying to make your way down the mountain as quickly as possible. It's a bright, whimsical title in a catalog of otherwise hardcore material. You have nothing to beat but yourself, and plenty of coursework to keep yourself busy. Very nice for breaks and bus rides.

Enjoy the NGPC!

Mike Chicago
http://www.paleface.net/z/sngp/index.html

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:10 am

I've just noticed Play-Asia are doing two four-games bundles for about £17 each. Here and here. I've only played Sonic out of that lot... Are they worth it?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:13 am

Looking at the games it looks pretty good. If they're the US versions - i.e. text in English - then that's even better. Bear in mind that some of the games (Beast Busters, Cardfighter's Clash etc.) can go for about £17 on their own then that looks good to me.

Of course, you don't get the clam shell boxes, and I'm not sure what format the instructions come in.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Mike Chicago

Re:

Post by Mike Chicago » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:38 pm

revgiblet wrote:Looking at the games it looks pretty good. If they're the US versions - i.e. text in English - then that's even better. Bear in mind that some of the games (Beast Busters, Cardfighter's Clash etc.) can go for about £17 on their own then that looks good to me.

Of course, you don't get the clam shell boxes, and I'm not sure what format the instructions come in.
Most games will detect your system settings and give you on-screen English. All the titles I mentioned are examples, even if Japanese in origin (except Ganbare Neo Poke Kun, which doesn't rely on language at all).

Don't worry about the clam shells. NGPC cartridges come in nice little snap-lock clear plastic cases even when loose. The instructions are no loss either -- they were always terribly translated.

The two titles you should not buy loose, however, are Pac-Man and Crush Roller. Those traditionally came packaged with plastic ring hardware attachments that limit the D-pad to four directions for classic arcade authenticity. They are definitely worth seeking out boxed. Pac-Man in particular is a favorite of the scene.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Have picked up Sonic pocket and am trying to get Neo Cup 98 and Turf Masters.

Also ordered one of the multi packs from play asia along with Metal Slug 1.

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:15 pm

Deadl0ck wrote:Pac-Man is also excellent. The ghost patterns are the same as the original arcade, so it's just like an emulated arcade Pac-Man.
Yep. It's perfect, and is THE reason you should own a Neo Geo Pocket Color.

I'm not saying the other games aren't great (it has some amazing titles), but this is just superb.

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Mike Chicago wrote:Most games will detect your system settings and give you on-screen English.
Actually only the very early ones, where they had room to put both language sets. Most titles only have English or Japanese in them.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Is Metal Slug: 1st Misson worth a purchase? Sonic Pocket Adventure, Faselei!, and SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash are alread on their way, and Pac-Man is being sought out, but handheld Metal Slug action is quite the draw!

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:20 am

Mayhem wrote:
Mike Chicago wrote:Most games will detect your system settings and give you on-screen English.
Actually only the very early ones, where they had room to put both language sets. Most titles only have English or Japanese in them.
I've got 'Big Firework', one of those fruit machine games the Japanese are so keen on, and it's all in Japanese. I can't read the options or the instructions so I have no idea how to play it - and it looks a lot more complicated than a regular fruit machine.

Tertullian