GBA Game Recomendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:58 am

bigfreakypossum wrote:Sega Arcade Gallery is worth jumping up and down on for its utterly dire versions of Super Hang On, Out Run, and Space Harrier. Afterburner's on there also and the controls are crappy.
Fixed for you.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
bigfreakypossum wrote:Sega Arcade Gallery is worth jumping up and down on for its utterly dire versions of Super Hang On, Out Run, and Space Harrier. Afterburner's on there also and the controls are crappy.
Fixed for you.
Ouch! I wouldn't have said they were absolutely dire conversions but Outrun did seem far to easy when I played it, very little traffic on the road and the time limit was far to generous.

Now that I think of it maybe I just had the difficulty turned down...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 am

With the Sega compilation, everything initially looks fine, but when you start playing the games, they feel like they were converted by people who never really played the originals—they just feel wrong. In some cases, minor omissions irk (such as missing imagery), but in Out Run, the vehicles are too big, meaning it's impossible to make the manoeuvres you can in the arcade game. When compared to the likes of the excellent Konami collection, the Sega one is really found wanting.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:41 am

CraigGrannell wrote:With the Sega compilation, everything initially looks fine, but when you start playing the games, they feel like they were converted by people who never really played the originals—they just feel wrong. In some cases, minor omissions irk (such as missing imagery), but in Out Run, the vehicles are too big, meaning it's impossible to make the manoeuvres you can in the arcade game. When compared to the likes of the excellent Konami collection, the Sega one is really found wanting.
Ah OK. I only briefly played Outrun, and I was always bad at that regardless of the version. I've only ever put serious time into the Sega Saturn compilation of Outrun, Space Harrier and AB2 and the versions that were included in Shenmue.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 am

Opa-Opa wrote:But you can play the real thing for free...
So whats the point..? I just don't get Doom on the GBA, it's not as good as the Playstation or PC versions and like you say it looks a bit of a mess.

In fact Doom 64 is better than the silly GBA version.
That 'mess' is what Doom really looks like. That's pretty much what we got on the PC in 320x200 on a 486 back when Doom came out. I dunno how they fancied it up in later 32-bit console ports but here's how I see it:

- The level architecture is about 95% intact. The 32x version had seriously simplified levels and the SNES version is barely worth mentioning.

- The textures and sprites are the same resolution, and probably the same color depth. The only thing more 'pixelated' is the actual screen resolution of the GBA, and considering how much smaller a GBA screen is than a computer monitor the difference seems small.

- The music and sound effects are pretty similar to what you would have heard on a Soundblaster back in the day.

- Doom 64 is not a port of Doom and not relevant in comparison to any port of Doom.

- Of course it's not as good as a Playstation or Saturn port, but compared to hardware that is more similar in power to a GBA like the SNES, 32x, Jaguar, and 3DO, the GBA port is pretty impressive. Especially compared to the SNES which had no texturing on the ceiling and floors and enemies always faced you and lighting effects were pretty much removed.

- The controls are very good considering how non-fps-friendly a setup like the GBA's is, and I was able to get used to them pretty quickly. I can't think of any way that they could be setup better. Plus they provide autorun to make it a little easier.

- My GBA SP is about the size of a pack of smokes when folded closed. My Playstation and PC are much larger. I guess that's the point of Doom on the GBA.

- Again, I have to emphasize that this game should never be played on a regular GBA because it requires a lit screen.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:32 am

Opa-Opa wrote:So whats the point..? I just don't get Doom on the GBA, it's not as good as the Playstation or PC versions and like you say it looks a bit of a mess.
The point:

It cost me a fiver years ago when GBA was the only really viable portable gaming platform and allowed me to play Doom on the beach when on holiday.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 am

You know, Doom was one of the games that sold me on getting a GBA SP in the first place. :oops: I thought it was a great conversion.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:26 pm

I haven't read this thread yet because I want to pay attention and I'm currently way too zoned, but if anyone hasn't said it already, get the Namco Pac-Man Collection, I've just spent hours and hours playing it during a 26 hour bus journey and it probably saved my sanity.... it's got weird Pac-Man Tetris too!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:27 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to clear the saves on Mario Kart? My copy has everything unlocked and I want to do it myself!
felgekarp wrote:Have you tried smashing it on the floor?
MC1 wrote:Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds
SirClive wrote:have you tried a rubber?
Smashing it made no differnce. Tried the microwave but it caught fire and my house burned down. Will try a rubber but I will have to buy a new one as the only one I had was in my house.
Thanks everyone.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:07 am

Another shout fopr Advance Wars 1 or 2... I've only played 2 but they both look very similar... there is SO much longevity to that game with the vast number of maps and game modes which are available immediately, plus all the extra levels that can be unlocked. I spent every spare minute playing that game a couple of summers ago but only completed a small amount of it (due to the sheer size, not due to being parp at it!)

Also the Castlevania double-pack is also worth getting hold of. 2 quality games and, again, many hours of game play.

The Sega compilation is okay, but I agree with the comments that the conversions are lacking in some areas. Still for the convenience of having all 4 games on a single cartridge, it is worth it... unless you go down the flash cart route and load it up with dozens of games.

Super Mario Advance 4(?) - Basically, a GBA version of SMB3 but with much better graphics than the NES original, plus it also contains Mario Bros arcade game.

The only stinker in my GBA collection is Manic Miner - a naff version fo a game which I'm not all that keen on anyway... don't really know why I bought it, other than it was cheap!
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:38 am

bolda wrote: Super Mario Advance 4(?) - Basically, a GBA version of SMB3 but with much better graphics than the NES original, plus it also contains Mario Bros arcade game.
Actually, SMA4 is a stand alone release of its Mario Allstars incarnation on the Snes, not an upgraded Nes port (though that is practically the same thing)
The GBA version also lets you swap between Mario and Luigi on the map screen, I believe Luigi has his floaty jump like in Mario 2 USA and the Japanese (and possibly USA) versions had exclusive levels via e-reader cards that were available around the games release.
Since Europe didn't get the e-reader that portion of the game I believe was chopped out completely (thanks a lot Nintendo)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:56 am

They've tweaked the levels in SMA4 so it's a bit easier too.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 am

Got Metroid thinking I wouldn't really like it as not huge fan of run / gun etc but its bloody brilliant!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:27 am

MikeHaggar wrote:They've tweaked the levels in SMA4 so it's a bit easier too.
Really? wonder why Nintendo went back and did that, I'd have said its a bit on the easy side to begin with.

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 am

MikeHaggar wrote:They've tweaked the levels in SMA4 so it's a bit easier too.
Damn, I just thought I'd become a better game player! :(
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage