GBA Game Recomendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

GBA Game Recomendations

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:27 am

Should hopefully be picking up a GB Micro over the next few days and so am looking for some game recomendations.

My driving game needs are covered (got Mario Kart and F-Zero) and of course ive got hold of Lego Star Wars!

So, what other games should I get?
Ta!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:34 am

Well the correct answer is obviously Blast Arena Advance but it's out of print.

The GBA Mario Golf is very very good.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:43 am

Sega Smash Pack is very good. You get Golden Axe, Ecco and (bizarrely..) Sonic Spinball on one glorious litle cart.

V-Rally is unbelievable to look at and plays well, too.
Thoughts and prayers.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:43 am

Mega Man Zero 1-4, Ninja 5 O (but thats impossible to find), Metal Slug, Astro Boy, Gradius Advance, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Final Fight One.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:49 am

Import:
- Dotstream
- Rhythm Tengoku
- WarioWare Twisted

UK:
- Konami Arcade Advance
- Mario vs Donkey Kong
- Scrabble Scramble

Homebrew:
- Android 2 Android
- Blast Arena Advance
- Bust-a-Move
- Herg's Solitaire
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 am

Mario and luigi's superstar saga, loved that little rpg basic but fun.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:43 am

Gradius Advance is very nice indeed, R-Type 3 is okay but a little flawed (get it on eBay unboxed for a couple of quid rather than the full package) and Phalanx is rather pretty...

i have to plug Reaxion as a homebrew, it's in my "contract" or something... oh, and Mammary Advance. =-)

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:44 am

Advance Wars 1 & 2
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:55 am

Advance Wars 1/2
Gunstar Super Heroes
Astro Boy
Stafi no Densetsu 1/2

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 am

Double Dragon Advance
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (if you can find a copy!)
Golden Sun (IMHO the best RPG ever, period)

Any of the Castlevanias, although I have a fondness for Circle of the Moon, which I think is simply titled 'Castlevania' on the box...
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

Timppa

Post by Timppa » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:05 am

- Wario Ware, Inc: Minigame Mania
- Flash cart for homebrew and games impossible to find ;-). I have F2A.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:10 am

A few of my faves in no particular order:

1. Advance Wars 1 or 2 – I prefer 2 but if you can get 1 cheap buy it, great little strategy games and they work on the small screen
2. Gradius Galaxies – Best shooter on the GBA and one of the best in the series (Gradius V rules in my opinion but this is on a par with Gradius Gaiden if not eclipsing it) great graphics, wonderful levels, and great gameplay
3. Street Fighter Alpha 3 – The most amazing piece of programming on the GBA from the new defunct Crawfish. Stunning animation, a great roster of characters, and loads of gameplay options make this the best fighter on the system. Should be noted that as the GBA has only got 4 buttons so combinations of buttons have to be pressed the get that 3rd strength kick or punch – but with a bit of perseverance you get used to it.
4. Astroboy – Huge surprise a great little fighter/shooter/platformer made by treasure – loads of weird bosses, a character to level up, huge amount of secrets to unlock, great controls, compelling story line. I could go on and on about this game it’s not just my favourite game on the GBA is one of my favourite games of all time.
5. Metriod Fusion/Zero Mission – Both huge challenges using the regular Metroid formula, I actually prefer Fusion to Super Metroid as it’s slightly more accessible. Both games are hard but a great challenge and at the end of both there’s a great sense of achievement.
6. Gekido Advance – Bit of an obscure one this it has a story like a survival horror but it’s a beat em up with anime cutscenes/graphics. I’m amazed this got a uk release to be honest it’s got a very Eastern storyline, a great beater with loads of moves, huge challenge (it’s really tough) and RPG elements.
7. Zelda a link to the past – My fave Zelda game – perfect snes port
8. Mario Kart Super Circuit – Nuff said
9. Metal Slug – Entirely unique new metal slug game, it plays really well and has those nice sprites that we’ve all come to love. Nice little run and gun.
10. Final Fight 1 – An almost perfect conversion of the Capcom game + loads of unlockables – my particular favourite is unlocking SFA Cody in his prison gear.
11. Duke Nukem Advance – Great little FPS on the GBA looks and plays great.

Also worth a look

Contra 3

Super Mario Advances

Warioware

Final Fantasy Tactics/Golden Sun – just about manageable on the Micro screen small text can cause headaches!!

Advance Guardian Heroes,

Konami Crazy Racers – another obscure one I think it’s called Wai Wai racing in Japan (don’t quote me on that) basically Mario Kart done with Konami Characters

Ecks Vs Server

Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

Castlevanias - Circle of the moon is starting to show it's age but still good fun.

Ones to avoid

R-Type 3 really hugely disappointing conversion in comparison to the Snes version it’s quite sad really, as previously stated buy but only really cheaply

Driver Advance – boring, slow, and not really suited to the GBA too ambitious.

Tony Hawks series – The screen is too small and the isometric viewpoint makes this unnecessarily difficult

Shaun Palmer Pro snowboarder – really ropey graphics and again made difficult by weird camera angle and badly mapped controls.

Atari Anniversary Advance – Dodgy conversions

Nearly anything with Disney branding will be shocking too, but you already new that!!
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 am

gmintyfresh wrote:A few of my faves in no particular order:

6. Gekido Advance – Bit of an obscure one this it has a story like a survival horror but it’s a beat em up with anime cutscenes/graphics. I’m amazed this got a uk release to be honest it’s got a very Eastern storyline, a great beater with loads of moves, huge challenge (it’s really tough) and RPG elements.
Thanks for jogging my memory! I totally forgot this game ever existed. I only remember playing it once and found it: A) Very nice graphically, and B) Damn hard! Did you only get 1 life or am I imagining that?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 am

Cant believe no one mentioned the castlveanias (well not until the end anyway).
other than the aforementioned Circle of the moon , there's a doublepack with Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance,

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:21 am

ShadowMan wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:A few of my faves in no particular order:

Thanks for jogging my memory! I totally forgot this game ever existed. I only remember playing it once and found it: A) Very nice graphically, and B) Damn hard! Did you only get 1 life or am I imagining that?
No problem mate.

Yep haven't played this one for a while, but you're right about having 1 life but you've got quite a long energy bar - it's one of those games that if you survive the 1st 20 mins in the game you'll can get quite far. It is very difficult. Haven't seen a copy of one of these for a while