X-Box 360: advice needed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:44 am

C=Style wrote:They're quieter too, plus they now support HDMI as standard. So there's no reason to buy an Elite tbh, unless you like the black case of course :wink:
I thought this at first to, I almost regretted getting my Elite. Then a roommate picked up a brand new (hdmi port) white one a couple of months after I got my elite, and I noticed a couple of things:

120gb is way more space than I feel I'd ever need, but I was worried about 20gb if games in the future decide to offer hd installations to reduce load times. Well, those are unformatted sizes. While I still fill that my 108 or so gb hd is too big, his really only has a 13gb when it's completely empty. Not a big deal right now, but who knows what the future holds.

Also, when I first got my elite I had no idea what the complaints about the console being loud were about. I mean, the fan on mine is a little louder than my big ps2's was (the thin ps2 is completely silent), but it's not like it made the loud shrieking sounds that the dreamcast produces. But i've noticed that every time I fire up the white 360 in the living room, it sounds like a jet engine is taking off. The difference in the amount of noise they make is very noticeable.

Also the black does look better.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 am

The difference in fan noises is nothing elite/white related, it's just luck.

and the HD can be bought seperate.

Regardless, the £50 difference is certainly not "un-worth it".
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 am

Dudley wrote:The difference in fan noises is nothing elite/white related, it's just luck.
That's difficult to believe, that there would be such a huge difference. It's night and day. No one who ever owned an Xbox or a PS2 would've even bothered to comment on the fan noise from my Elite, but the other 360 is so loud that I actually have to turn up my TV a little more than I'd normally want to when I'm trying to hear dialog. What's crazy is it's even that loud when I'm watching a DVD or Divx.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:37 am

The actual fan on my 360 is very quiet, no different to any other console I've owned, it's the actual DVD drive that makes noise when it starts up. It's still not that loud, no more so than my PC DVD drive anyway.

I agree with you about the 120gb HDD though, I am also going to be upgrading soon to one of these larger drives for the same reasons that you are thinking. I'd rather have too much space than worry I might have to start deleting stuff in order to fit stuff on. I'm not having that.

Also I checked out my extended warrenty card that came with the 360 for 2 extra years, I did actually think it was free?? but turns out it's an extra £50 for this privilage or as MS put it; "LESS than 9 pennies a day!!!" :roll:. I'm still gonna do it though as I don't want the worry of my 360 breaking down in that time and that should see it through the majority of it's life.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:39 am

C=Style wrote:Also I checked out my extended warrenty card that came with the 360 for 2 extra years, I did actually think it was free??
It's 3 years free warranty for the rrod. For everything else (like broken controller ports, dvd-rom etc.) you need to pay extra for more than 1 year.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:44 am

Oh yeah? You might have just saved me £50 then!

Do I still have to send this slip off to qualify or is it an automatic thing, I have just looked at the extended warranty slip and it does indeed mention total protection.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:52 am

Didn't have to send anything in for mine.

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:19 am

I've got an "old skool" 360 (no hdmi, noisy as hell fan, 20gb drive) and it has never red-ringed on me once, and it's had a LOT of use! I keep it horizontal in a well ventilated relatively dust free case - but that isn't what causes the red-ring if you read most articles on it.

Anyway just wanted to give you a heads-up on some great games for it :)

Call of Duty 4 - This is incredible! Easily the best game I played last year. Truly awesome fun, like playing a full-on action film - just set-piece after set-piece. You'll complete it quite quickly, but it's SO worth it.

Puzzle Quest - Blindingly good. Take Bejewelled and shove a hypodermic full of steroids into it, and you get this wonderful game. RPG elements, city building, spell learning/casting, teams, monsters, online mp.... ahh, it's wonderful! I spent more time playing this game last year than any other :)

Guitar Hero III - Expensive, and you'll either love it or hate it, but personally I love it!

Exit - A very cool "escape the building" style game, really stylish too.

Be careful though - there are some REAL turkeys on XBLA too. Always get the demo first and always play it a few times before you buy it. Sometimes nostalgia gets the better of you and you slap down the points without thinking, only to realise that 12 months later you've never even played it again. There are a lot of shoddy arcade ports that are best avoided, even their high-def fidelity don't save them.

Absolutely utterly avoid Double Dragon!!!! It's the biggest floating turd of a game I've ever seen. Truly terrible.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 am

What do people reckon to the new Speedball 2 game? I've only downloaded the demo so got to play the original port, which they've done a good job of, it runs way smoother than it did on the Amiga. How is the new update of it and the online gaming?

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:44 pm

I hated Speedball 2, but I didn't think much of the original either so I'm not a good judge :) I always thought the first one was so much better.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:53 pm

I agree to an extent there matey, I thought Speedball 2 was slightly overrated, and I also really enjoyed playing the original a bit more if truth be told as the arena was a lot smaller, was easier to follow the ball and was just generally more fun. C64 conversion was pretty playable too.

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:02 pm

A lot of the Bitmap games were over-rated. The original Xenon was a masterpiece, graphically stunning with great (if fooking hard) gameplay. I still consider it the first true "arcade" game on the 16-bits.

Speedball was a great game. Nice, simple, addictive.

Xenon 2 had some truly innovative touches (the scroll backwards, the 'zoom down into the screen' and the massive baddies), but even so there were other blasters at the time that were just as great.

After this it all went a bit Pete Tong imho. Magic Pockets was ok, nothing special.. same with Cadaver, Speedball 2 was hyped too much and didn't deliver for me. They never really survived the transition to the PC either.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:34 pm

You are absolutely spot on about Xenon, that was a classic game. I actually found the Speccy version to be the most playable of the lot, but yeah it's one of the best 8-bit shooters out there IMO.

Xenon 2 was not up the same standards as far as I'm concerned, I mean yeah sure it was pretty, and had a cool Bomb the Bass soundtrack, but the gameplay was just 'meh' compared to the first game.

Maguc Pockets was a damn good game if you stuck with it, but it was very very hard to get to grips with the control system, the game really opened up once you did though. Gods is probably my favourite Bitmap Bro's games (I also read that they think so too, and that even they think Speedball 2 is a touvh overrated!), that is just such a classic game, highly playable and very absorbing.

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:06 pm

You are right about the Xenon 2 gameplay, it wasn't all that hot - but I think graphically it did set quite a new benchmark (providing you didn't own a Neo Geo ;) )

I did like Magic Poockets, but I was just never one of those who "got into" it. Gods was far better! I did enjoy it, but there were some other truly great games out by then so it had a lot to compete with (whereas I think it's fair to say that Xenon really set a trend in motion).

The Spectrum version of Xenon is still stunning, even to this day :)

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 am

How can you not like Double Dragon?... It's one of my fav XBLA games! I played it so much I ended up getting all achievements... Too bad there aren't too many online players... :roll:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com