X-Box 360: advice needed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze

X-Box 360: advice needed

Post by HalcyonDaze » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:07 pm

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one of the latest consoles. After much dithering I have settled on getting the 360, mainly due to the superb retro scene on X-Box live.

The thing I'm worried about though is this red light failure, which seems to be worryingly common. Is there a model ( Elite etc ) that is less prone to failure or is it just pot luck ? I'm reluctant to trust the advice of the sales assistant of whichever shop I decide to buy it from.

Any info would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 pm

In the worst possible case it's about a third die, you get a 3 year warranty against it.

Buy it from a shop, keep the receipt and you'll be able to exchange it instantly there if they have any sense at all for 3 years.

Don't let it stop you owning the world's best console.

Oh, and don't keep it vertical or stuff it in a small entertainment unit.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Yeah , I agree.
I don't own a 360 , but if there's one piece of advice I can give it's this

Don't buy a 360 2nd hand unless it's REALLY cheap
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:23 pm

I've just recently took the plunge myself, I swear you will not regret it and now is a very good time to do it!

For a start, the new models of 360 have new components in them making them less prone to overheat and RROD. They're quieter too, plus they now support HDMI as standard. So there's no reason to buy an Elite tbh, unless you like the black case of course :wink:

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info, now for another question...............

With regards to the latest models coming with new components does this mean that whichever 360 I get ( premium or elite ) it will be the latest model ? I don't want to be sold one of the "old" versions that has been rotting in the store room.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Chances are if you buy a premium model from a popular high street gaming shop you will be getting one of the new types, you will tell straight away as like I say, you will notice the HDMI socket on the back.

Obviously the Elite's arn't so popular and I suppose there's a chance you will be buying one up to 6 months old+ maybe, that just speculation though and I don;t think there is any way to tell for sure. Like I say, there's no need to buy an Elite now. If you just wanted the 120gb drive, the I recommend getting an 360 Arcade pack (these even support HDMI now too!) and buying the HDD separately off Ebay or something. You'll most likely make a saving that way.

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks C=Style,

Think I will go and get the premium version tomorrow, and will make sure it has the HDMI socket before I pay.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:19 pm

No probs mate! What games were you thinking of getting with it?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:41 pm

One thing to consider - some shops are better with their returns than others. Check with the retailer if the machine is to be returned to them or to the manufacturer if faulty.

I always buy from Argos , as they ALWAYS offer a refund or replacement if available if the goods stop working with no hassle or quibbles
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:48 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:One thing to consider - some shops are better with their returns than others. Check with the retailer if the machine is to be returned to them or to the manufacturer if faulty.

I always buy from Argos , as they ALWAYS offer a refund or replacement if available if the goods stop working with no hassle or quibbles
Doesn't matter what they say, the retailer legally needs to deal with all warranty returns.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:01 am

Gamestation have always been very good to me with the returns and i should know about having to return 360's :lol:

Even though they have there faults there still the best out there for games by a mile.

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:23 am

Haven't had time to go get it today !!!, but i am grateful for all the info.

C=Style, I love the Half Life series so the Orange Box is probably my first choice, followed by Call Of Duty 4. Heard very good things about Bio Shock and Mass Effect, and I have always liked the look of Oblivion. Virtua Fighter 5 is a great game and the new Ace Combat looks pretty good too.

This is another reason why I'm getting the 360, not only does it seem to have a brilliant retro scene but it has lots of top titles to choose from.

What would you recommend ? ( I'm not too impressed with Assasins Creed having played it at a mates, amazing graphics but a bit boring after a bit. And although PES is one of my favourite games ever I have the latest version on my PS2 and i'm not too sure about the 360 pad and football games ).

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:33 am

HalcyonDaze wrote:Haven't had time to go get it today !!!, but i am grateful for all the info.

C=Style, I love the Half Life series so the Orange Box is probably my first choice, followed by Call Of Duty 4. Heard very good things about Bio Shock and Mass Effect, and I have always liked the look of Oblivion. Virtua Fighter 5 is a great game and the new Ace Combat looks pretty good too.

This is another reason why I'm getting the 360, not only does it seem to have a brilliant retro scene but it has lots of top titles to choose from.

What would you recommend ? ( I'm not too impressed with Assasins Creed having played it at a mates, amazing graphics but a bit boring after a bit. And although PES is one of my favourite games ever I have the latest version on my PS2 and i'm not too sure about the 360 pad and football games ).
Oblivion would be my recommendation, superb game and plenty to do.
Dead Rising would be the next game I recommend, quite a short game but its impossible to see and do everything in 1 go through, that and you can use so many different things as weapons it takes quite a while for it to get close to being boring!
Gear of War good if you like 100% action games. The cover system is implemented well and makes for some great battles.
Guitar Hero 2/3 if you don't already have the PS2 versions, I just got both and am hooked on them.
Earth Defense Force 2017 is perfect for mindless action and a camp story, but gets quite hard and challenging on the higher difficulties.
I'd also recommend Ridge Racer 6, Condemned, Dead or Alive 4 and Crackdown since they are dead cheap to get.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:38 pm

HalcyonDaze wrote:Haven't had time to go get it today !!!, but i am grateful for all the info.

Yeah Orange Box is deffo on my "to buy list". I agree with what you say about Assassins Creed, I don't rate it too much myself, but then I've only played a few hours worth of it so maybe it gets better. I seriously recommend Bioshock, I haven't enjoyed a game like this since Deus Ex! Also if you're into simulation racers then Forza 2 is superb.

Goes without saying you should download SWOS from XBLA too, it's a real sweet update. :)

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Reminds me of myself a few months back... I created a topic for it too! lol

Don't know if it's too late to tell you now but anyway...

I bought mine in November (in my local Game shop), and I do have an HDMI port... so I think you won't have any problem getting a new model as well...
I know MS have started producing new "improved" Xbox, but the big question is: will your Xbox be an improved one?...

But as it was said, you get a 3-year warranty for the "red ring of death" problem, so you're covered...

Oh, and you should get Dead Rising!!! I bought the 360 for this game only (well, I did find other great games, but Dead Rising is the best!)
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com