James Pond: Underwater Agent or Robocod?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:08 am

True. It has'nt aged half as well as, say, The New Zealand Story or Sonic.

Tbh, I never thought it would knock games like these off thier perch even though it was enjoyable.

It plays shoddy nowadays though. :cry: :cry:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

romanista

Re:

Post by romanista » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:12 pm

MrH wrote:
Melf wrote:What about James Pond 3: Operation Starfish?
Never played it....wasn't it meant to be like Robocod but with different levels?
the JP games are among the most overrated amiga games, because amiga gamers were so desperate to get a sonic beater...

see stuart campbell's great JP3 review here: http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... /pond3.htm
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

punkpie

Re:

Post by punkpie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:37 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:Robocod all the way! I'm just waiting for the rerelease on the DS to come down in price and I'll be buying it again!!
It was in the game sale of the week a few weeks ok. I got it for £9.99. It's still just as game as the amiga version.

MrH

Re:

Post by MrH » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:36 pm

romanista wrote:
MrH wrote:
Melf wrote:What about James Pond 3: Operation Starfish?
Never played it....wasn't it meant to be like Robocod but with different levels?
the JP games are among the most overrated amiga games, because amiga gamers were so desperate to get a sonic beater...

see stuart campbell's great JP3 review here: http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... /pond3.htm
Wasn't JP out before Sonic?

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:40 pm

I had the original James Pond myself, and a demo of Robocod. I actually really liked both of them, Underwater Agent was particularly fun, and Robocod is awesome old skool platforming. Operation Starfish is really best forgotten though.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:43 am

MrH wrote:Wasn't JP out before Sonic?
The original James Pond, yes. That review is referring to how much Operation Starfish (released three years later, after Sonic) was "influenced" by Sonic...

MrH

Re:

Post by MrH » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:09 pm

merman wrote:
The original James Pond, yes. That review is referring to how much Operation Starfish (released three years later, after Sonic) was "influenced" by Sonic...
I would say that Robocod was too, which is why it wasn't as good as the original in my opinion.

Too many games around that time tried to copy Sonic but you're lucky if any of them managed to be as good. I never liked Zool, although I seem to remember liking Superfrog.....

KW

Post by KW » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 pm

I love Superfrog. Lost many hours on that game.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:03 am

MrH wrote:
merman wrote:
I would say that Robocod was too, which is why it wasn't as good as the original in my opinion.

Too many games around that time tried to copy Sonic but you're lucky if any of them managed to be as good. I never liked Zool, although I seem to remember liking Superfrog.....
Robocod isn't really about speed though, more accurate jumping and object collection.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:21 am

The game that was the biggest ripoff of Sonic IMO was Jazz Jackrabbit. It was actually a pretty good game, technically polished and fun to play. I'd rather play that than James Pond which was overated. It had good visuals and sound but the gameplay and level design was just average.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:49 am

punkpie wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:Robocod all the way! I'm just waiting for the rerelease on the DS to come down in price and I'll be buying it again!!
It was in the game sale of the week a few weeks ok. I got it for £9.99. It's still just as game as the amiga version.

Excellent, will have to have a look!!

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:04 pm

James Pond: Robocod was best because it was just mad. I think I just loved the crazy product placement plus all the weird characters. It was never a game I loved as much as I loved Sonic, but still good.

Jazzrabbits hardly that much a Sonic Clone. does require a little more thought plus you got to shoot stuff : D. *shot*

parappa

Re: James Pond: Underwater Agent or Robocod?

Post by parappa » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

did anyone ever find every single hidden room in the Robocod castle? I remember thinking it was so dizzyingly big and always finding hidden stuff and thinking there must be some large areas i don't know about yet, and seeing doors I couldnt get to.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Retro games, retro threads :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Cant believe he/she found that thread from 6 years ago ! Didnt realise the search worked that well