What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:20 pm

C=Style wrote:TBH with ya, the game AI is quite irrelevant if you are taking it online to play. That's where the most fun and competition is to be had from any racer really.
The same could be said of most (all?) competitive sports games
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:24 pm

C=Style wrote:TBH with ya, the game AI is quite irrelevant if you are taking it online to play. That's where the most fun and competition is to be had from any racer really.
Except that unless you get a forum group together you generally find the guys online are utter cockbiters.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:37 pm

lol true, true. Though there are a few ok people out there who are serious about racing, the Forza 2 community I find (so far anyway) alright to be honest, not too much foul play going on. Good thing about more serious games like Forza is it keeps away the American kiddies that scream all sorts of ugly into the mics.

hydr0x

Re: The legendary Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing

Post by hydr0x » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Dudley wrote:24 - Live For Speed (PC)
The best independant game of the last decade? Could be. Online racing done properly and a superb community sim for a bargain price. So good BMW use it in their simulators at Grands Prix.
I finally got the chance to do a couple of LAN races on those simulators last summer during press day at Games Convention Leipzig. I hadn't played Live for Speed before but knew about the praise it was and still is getting. And it didn't disappoint. Cracking simulation with probably the most realistic feeling of actually racing I've yet experienced (ok ok, sitting in those BMW F1 cockpits probably helped too). Really a superb game. If you ever get the chance to drive those BMW simulators, do it.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Just got the new issue today in Menzies and I have to say that there would have been an outcry if the no.1 racer hadn't been the one it was.

Viva la **** ***** (no spoiler)
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:28 pm

I hope **** ***** is what I think it is. :)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm

LOL - it couldn't have been anything else, IMO :wink:
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm

I don't like car games where the car gets knackered up when you crash. That annoys me in games like GTA, too. I always end up driving round in a car without a windscreen, or doors, or wheels.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:46 pm

The Master wrote:I don't like car games where the car gets knackered up when you crash. That annoys me in games like GTA, too. I always end up driving round in a car without a windscreen, or doors, or wheels.
Same here, can't stand the replay's of my driving in the open air after 30 seconds with the doors and bonnet flapping away. :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:50 pm

I don't like games where you can ram head first into a wall and your car stays all shiny and new. GT games loose all credibility for that.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:03 pm

SirClive wrote:I don't like games where you can ram head first into a wall and your car stays all shiny and new. GT games loose all credibility for that.
Maybe that's why teens think they're invincible bombing around in Subaru's?

merman

Post by merman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Dudley wrote:Oh look what's that at #3 in RG's greatest racing games of all time? It can't be Mario Kart can it? Why yes I do believe it is.

But wait that's not a racing game! Did they not get the memo? Clearly not since they appear to have included Diddy Kong and Micro Machines too....

Strangely, I can't see any mention the World's greatest generic no effort racer by numbers "Total Drivin'". Must be a typo.

--

Seriously though they have made the classic mistake of using "Not as good as the other 2" Lotus game Lotus 2, I have my doubts whether Unirally should strictly qualify and they've clearly chosen the wrong Ridge Racer and Micro Machines but otherwise a nicely varied list, especially choosing the correct F-Zero.

To go further, Outrun simply shouldn't be there, it's poor, it was always poor and the only possible reason to include the flawed MSR is that you actually want to include PGR but it's too new. I never thought Excitebike 64 was that brilliant either.

Some inspired choices though, Stunt Car Racer had a driving feel that wasn't beaten until Crammond's own F1GP, even if it does tend towards the Rick Dangerous in the case of several tracks. The 3D0 (and PSX) of Road Rash deserved more praise and of course the original Need for Speed.

As good a list as we could probably expect from a mag with their agenda, excellent work.
What agenda? To put together an OPINION PIECE based on input from various forums and the writers' own memories? At the end of the day it is only opinion.

Why is Mario Kart, where the eight characters are racing around circuits in go-karts, not a racing game? Would you have disqualified Ayrton Senna's Karting?
C=Style wrote:If they included MSR (it's not retro no matter how you look at it) then PGR 2 should have been the top choice out of that series.
The Xbox is too recent for inclusion. MSR was 3-4 years earlier on the Dreamcast and set the foundations for the series - you wouldn't have one without the other.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:12 pm

merman wrote:Why is Mario Kart, where the eight characters are racing around circuits in go-karts, not a racing game? Would you have disqualified Ayrton Senna's Karting?
Merman, its a reference to another conversation that got very long and boring:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7723

Dudley is just pointing out the 'offical' RG stance.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:59 am

merman wrote:
Dudley wrote:Oh look what's that at #3 in RG's greatest racing games of all time? It can't be Mario Kart can it? Why yes I do believe it is.

But wait that's not a racing game! Did they not get the memo? Clearly not since they appear to have included Diddy Kong and Micro Machines too....

Strangely, I can't see any mention the World's greatest generic no effort racer by numbers "Total Drivin'". Must be a typo.

--

Seriously though they have made the classic mistake of using "Not as good as the other 2" Lotus game Lotus 2, I have my doubts whether Unirally should strictly qualify and they've clearly chosen the wrong Ridge Racer and Micro Machines but otherwise a nicely varied list, especially choosing the correct F-Zero.

To go further, Outrun simply shouldn't be there, it's poor, it was always poor and the only possible reason to include the flawed MSR is that you actually want to include PGR but it's too new. I never thought Excitebike 64 was that brilliant either.

Some inspired choices though, Stunt Car Racer had a driving feel that wasn't beaten until Crammond's own F1GP, even if it does tend towards the Rick Dangerous in the case of several tracks. The 3D0 (and PSX) of Road Rash deserved more praise and of course the original Need for Speed.

As good a list as we could probably expect from a mag with their agenda, excellent work.
What agenda? To put together an OPINION PIECE based on input from various forums and the writers' own memories? At the end of the day it is only opinion.

Why is Mario Kart, where the eight characters are racing around circuits in go-karts, not a racing game? Would you have disqualified Ayrton Senna's Karting?
C=Style wrote:If they included MSR (it's not retro no matter how you look at it) then PGR 2 should have been the top choice out of that series.
The Xbox is too recent for inclusion. MSR was 3-4 years earlier on the Dreamcast and set the foundations for the series - you wouldn't have one without the other.
And there's part 1 of the Agenda, the only reason PGR2 isn't there is age. It's not more or less retro themed than MSR is, just fixes MSR's hideous physics bugs, removes the unworkable "Real time" feature and improves the kudos handling massively.

The other is that it had to be all formats, you'd have needed to include a certain proportion of arcade games, certain proportion of 16-bits etc.

Agenda is a harsh word but you had restrictions on a list for RG that "Dudley's greatest 25" didn't when we posted that thread.

And you're not reading. *I* think Mario Kart is a racing game. Of course it is.

The poster of this thread has decreed it is not, and furthermore that since he posted the thread he makes the rules.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:05 am

Incidentally, said above "Mario Kart is not a driving game" discussion begins in post 4 of this link where the OP is responding to me posting my top 25 (including both MK and MM") on the previous.

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... &start=105
Last edited by Dudley on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.