What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 am

sscott wrote:
SirClive wrote:I don't like games where you can ram head first into a wall and your car stays all shiny and new. GT games loose all credibility for that.
Maybe that's why teens think they're invincible bombing around in Subaru's?
Do you live in a rich area? :shock: All the bloody teens in my area bomb around in their crappy little Corsa's, Saxo's, Clio's, etc, each with neons, exhausts big enough to put your fist in, and two tonnes of plastic bolted to them. :roll: I wonder if any of them have ever thought to do their cars up where it might make a difference? (i.e. under the bonnet) :shock:

Devious

Post by Devious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:23 pm

There are some fair to excellent front cover scans of PSX (PlayStation 1) games at this website here's an example.

Image Alternate Link
I love Felony 11-79. Its subsequent version was released on the Dreamcast and named Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition

PS. The image links to that site seem to be changed randomly so you likely won't see the example I submitted. If you only see an image placeholder right-click it and choose show picture, maybe it'll show up.

Antiriad2097

Re: What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 pm

So, how has 10 years changed things, are there any new favourites, or old faves that are now past it?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 am

Racing games have totally dropped off the radar for me. Can't stand the obsessive car worship of modern iterations of GT & Forza and the last arcadey racing game I tried, NfS Hot Pursuit, I just couldn't get into.

I'd like to see some original Xbox game though; Forza, PGR2, Burnout 3, Outrun 2006 etc.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu May 31, 2018 7:00 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 am
Racing games have totally dropped off the radar for me. Can't stand the obsessive car worship of modern iterations of GT & Forza and the last arcadey racing game I tried, NfS Hot Pursuit, I just couldn't get into.

I'd like to see some original Xbox game though; Forza, PGR2, Burnout 3, Outrun 2006 etc.
Yeah...not being a petrol head I'm not into realistic things with real cars, 'real' physics etc...I like crazy arcade racers

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu May 31, 2018 7:36 am

GT Sport is edging ahead in the sim world for me, although I'm not sure anything will ever top GT4 in that field for me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 am

There is nothing that comes close to the Forza games really.

Forza Motorsport for realism and Forza Horizon for fun.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am

The last racing game that really did it for me was Criterion's NFS Hot Pursuit. An excellent, arcadey racer with plenty of variety and replayability.

I don't like 'open world' in racing games, I'm not interested in tuning cars, I'm not interested in cinematics about rebelious road racers.
On the other end of the spectrum I'm not really interested in weapon mechanics in racing games (I'll make an exception for Mario Kart, though I think they've taken the weapon system too far) so much of the more acadey indie stuff also turns me off.
Forza Horizon 3 is about the best of the current gen racers I've tried but I still get pissed off with the open world and unnecessary story bollocks.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 am

This is partly what made me wonder. When this thread started, we were only barely looking at PS2/PS3 stuff, but there's been a lot of intervening time to find some newer classics like Outrun Coast to Coast, or perhaps find other older games that had passed us by. I'm less concerned by current games, more interested in those that popped up latterly, maybe on 360/PS3/PC.

Does Rocket League count?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu May 31, 2018 11:25 am

I have fond memories of Driver: San Francisco on PS3.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu May 31, 2018 2:01 pm

I thought Blur was a great game.

MrCrusher

Post by MrCrusher » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Just got Burnout Paradise Remastered on the PS4. Much better than the PC version I had years ago.
Cheap in the supermarkets at the moment as well as from A****n.

Definitely worth a game or two.
If you fancy doing some of the online stuff, my PSN id is MrCrusherX

Still play NFS Most Wanted- PS3 and Rivals on the PS4 too.

Let me know if you're wanting to do some of the trophies.

Mario Kart on the Switch is my fave version but the SNES verson still holds its own
Love

MrCrusher

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 31, 2018 6:30 pm

I am a self-confessed petrol-head in real life but I do also enjoy arcade-style racers. If I had to choose just one game then it would probably be Enthusia on the PS2 - a very underrated Gran Turismo competitor with amazing visuals (for the PS2 era), realistic handling/physics, great selection of cars and some superb music.

Runners up:

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Project Gotham 2
Driver San Francisco
V-Rally 2: Championship Edition
Toca 2
WRC II Extreme
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:32 am

I like silly, crazy ones. Beetle adventure racing on N64. And while we're at it, 1080, Excitebike, Wave race!

Ridge Racer series, even Road Rash. Daytona. Not so much Sega Rally I find the control a bit too slidey for my liking. The original Need for speed I really liked as well.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 am

Seeing this thread topic made me realise just how few racers Ive played of late. And my favourites.. hmm lets see now.

If I had to choose one, as op requests in title, I would have to say Dirt 2. The feel of it is just perfect for mine, and the tracks were designed so very well, I couldn't stop playing once I started. The presentation, everything was flawless, and it also played terrifically well with the steering wheel set up.

Some others besides that would be : Powerdrift (arcade) - being thrown around like that was such a trip! Just like being on a rollercoaster. Outrun (arcade). Lotus 3 (Amiga). Test Drive 2 (Amiga). Original Need For Speed (PC). They'd have to be my faves off the top of my head. Geez its been some time, might have to give some a go again soon.