What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Devious

What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm

My favorite driving game is Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98 for PlayStation. The graphics, sound effects, music, mechanics, control and gameplay were all great! It was like having five complete racing games in one. There is no better value in racing games. My skills in video game rally car racing were first learned with Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98. I own probably about 40 or 50 driving / racing games on various platforms and Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98 bests them all.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bi ... _front.jpg
Last edited by Devious on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 pm

I gave this a lot of thought and I reckon it has to be Domark's F1 on Megadrive. Closely followed by Sega Rally on Saturn. Then Daytona in the arcade.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Can't see any reason for me not to choose Outrun 2 SP (arcade)

In the home , probably Ridge Racer Revolution on PS1

Don't like games that clam to 'simulate driving'

tbh my favourite car-based games are probably Turbo Esprit and Interstate 76 , but neither is a racer
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

marioman

Post by marioman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:17 pm

OutRun rules when it comes to driving games :D
http://commodore-16.110mb.com/index.htm

Downloads Are Now Back Up

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Views on selected racing/driving games :

I bought PS2 Burnout 3: Takedown for £2.50 several months ago, and I'm still playing it. So far I have clocked up a staggering 57 hours!

3 different "modes" - pursuit, crash junction and the standard races ensure that you always have something to go back to, when you are losing your patience with another part of the game.

It has SUBLIME gameplay, so that even when it is harsh and quite frustrating (career over a small bump, or take a sharp turn - straight into another vechicle), you give it another chance, and another, and another, until you are rewarded with a finish and a Gold or Silver - unlocking a new course.

I simply cannot stop waxing lyrical about this game. I enjoyed (and still do) Burnout 2, but this game just encapsulates so many great features. And is therefore my fave racing/driving game.

The downside is that when I try to get into other "checkpoint/competition" racers, it makes them seem quite boring, such as the Midnight Club and Need For Speed games.

Other games I love :

Outrun - Arcade/Saturn : Just lovely in so many different ways.

Daytona USA - Arcade : Great in 4 Player mode, with the cameras and video screens attached. Also the first time I used how to "drive" a manual.

Chase H.Q - Arcade : Features a Porsche 928 S4. And Nancy, and the often quoted (at the time), "Let's go Mr.Driver"
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Wow excellent question, I love my racers both arcade and simulations. For arcade racers my favourite would have to be Daytona USA the arcade version, it never gets boring, feels so great to play it's just ultimate perfection, closely followed by Sega Rally.

For the sim side of things, I loved F355 Challenge on Dreamcast, it had such incredible driving mechanics and top gameplay, Gran Turismo 1 and 2 on the PSX were also very fun, the whole collecting cars became super addictive and who can forget the first time they clapped eyes on the wonderful replays! :shock:

Forza motorsport is another series I thoroughly enjoy, it took the feeling of driving a real car from F355 and added Gran Turismo's modification/collection elements and in turn created one of the best driving games ever imho. I've only recently got Forza 2 for the 360 and I have to say I'm pretty much blown away by the gfx and playability, customization and online play and ALL the other little bits n bobs, it's seriously impressive stuff and will no doubt become my favourite racer ever!

For now though that crown belongs to PGR2 on Xbox, this game kicks arse, the perfect mix of sim and arcade. The gameplay feels so instinctive, you can easily drive around tracks you're unfamiliar with like a pro if you are used to the car handling. For me it's just got everything a racing game needs; great gfx, the kudos system, the medals, the cars, geometry wars! etc etc it's the most fun I've had with a racer.. 300+ hrs and counting! 8)

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:51 pm

rossi46 wrote:... Then Daytona in the arcade.
The arcade version of Daytona USA had awesome graphics and it was fun and exciting to play and watch. I had a PC version but it didn't even approach the graphical quality of the arcade version. I never saw any home version that did.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Outrun 2006 for woo-hoo! Look at me drift!

Gran Turismo series for "realism" (notice the inverted commas Duds :wink: )

And I have to agree with Burnout Takedown also.....

Going back in time....

Driver (PS)
Driver 2 (PS)
Lotus Esprit (Spectrum?)
Jaguar XJ220 (Amiga)
Slicks (Amiga)

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:11 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:...Don't like games that clam to 'simulate driving'...
I can certainly sympathize with you there.

I associate the actual gameplay of the so-called driving simulators with the first definition Merriam-Webster online dictionary (m-w.com) gives: Simulate 1: to give or assume the appearance or effect of often with the intent to deceive.

In other words, if you believe that the so-called driving simulators (Hard Drivin', Gran Turismo) are close approximations of actual car physics then you are deceived. :wink:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Trackmania: United (Stadium). I've not played another racing game as much as this.

Otherwise, I really liked NFS: Hot Pursuit 2. Also a fan of Wipeout, Daytona, Out Run 2 SE (the big f*ck off arcade!) and a a few more, but TM:U is the main one.

Dudley

Re: What's Your Favorite Driving/Racing Game Ever?

Post by Dudley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Devious wrote:My favorite driving game is Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98 for PlayStation. The graphics, sound effects, music, mechanics, control and gameplay were all great! It was like having five complete racing games in one. There is no better value in racing games. My skills in video game rally car racing were first learned with Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98. I own probably about 40 or 50 driving / racing games on various platforms and Car and Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98 bests them all.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bi ... _front.jpg
I'm fairly certain we know that as Total Drivin'

I have to say I thought it was desperately average even at the time.

I think you have to split this up, Outrun has about as much in common with Gran Turismo as it does Sonic the Hedgehog... possibly more so.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:13 pm

marioman wrote:OutRun rules when it comes to driving games :D
OutRun was an awesome arcade game. The scenery seemed to almost transport me to the exotic places represented in that game. :D

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:16 pm

Not a huge race game fan but remember being quite taken with Colin McRae's Rally on the PSX. Really enjoyed it for some reason.
I think therefore I'm right!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Hard to pick just one.

Between Outrun, Burnout Takedown and Micropose Grand Prix.

Devious

Taito

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:19 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:Other games I love :
Chase H.Q - Arcade : Features a Porsche 928 S4. And Nancy, and the often quoted (at the time), "Let's go Mr.Driver"
Thanks for reminding us about Taito's great, innovative game. :D