Commodore 16

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Re: Commodore 16

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:50 am

I'm also after a Plus/4
I love my C16, but missing the fact that I can't play 64k games :(

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:15 am

First time posting here :D

I love the Commodore 16. It was my first home computer, with the most fond memories. I had quite a hefty collection including a lot of what are now considered rarities. Unfortunately it's all long gone but hooray for roms and emulators and C=drive to PC cables. I got back into the scene in 2005 when I became part of the admin team on the main commodore16 site, and was recently given a spare C16 by admin Chris. Emulators are great, but I always far prefer playing on the real thing.

My most memorable game has to be Tom Thumb. It's the work of a programming genius. It murders the C64 version on every level, but then so does BMX Racers. I put up a review of Tom16 here on Sunday, and it's already made game of the week. So that's my new niche sorted.

I love Mr Puniverse too. It's an updated sequel to the multi-format Big Mac, but it is only available for the C16. Also I prefer the more fun simple concept of Monty On The Run and Auf-Wiedersehen Monty on the C16 than the C64 version with it's frustrating puzzle element.

There's some cak games too. Ghosts n Goblins is the most horrid pointless conversion ever if I ever saw one. Only the first 2 levels, Arthur automatically dies on one hit, and the blocky collision detection makes the game too frustrating. There's even a crazy colour bug error where they forgot to colourise Arthur, he's completely white. Just 2 simple pokes sorts him out.

PS: We need a C16 special in the Retro Gamer magazine. Has it been done and is it still available for back-issue purchase, and will there be anymore in the future?
Last edited by Sixteen Plus on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 am

Sixteen Plus wrote:PS: We need a C16 special in the Retro Gamer magazine. Has it been done and is it still available for back-issue purchase, and will there be anymore in the future?
S'been done, i couldn't say exactly when it was but it's Imagine era and after issue 51 when i started doing the homebrew - the reason i remember is that Merman did it and asked me to write a likkle bit on what the machine is like to code on; i went a bit bonkers and he surprised me by still using everything i'd written! =-)

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:57 am

Issue 56 has the C16 retroinspection, and TMR's input was much appreciated. ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:57 am

Thanks TMR and merman. I wouldn't mind a read of this :)

The one thing I would love to do is review games for the C16/Plus4 for a national magazine. Just think that I might have a natural ability for it :lol:

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:11 pm

I also had a C16 (well, my sister did, but she never used it, and I was given it when I dismantled the entire thing at the age of 9. My punishment was to put it back together, which I did - perfectly, lol)

I don't really recall many of the games, but I do recall one where you had to control a "jetpac"-style character, and it involved a lot of bricks building up. Looking through the topic, "Jetbrix" sounds like it could be it (although I'd need to see a screenshot to be sure)

I also recall a "Q-bert" style game (Run around an arena changing the colour of tiles, but it was a flat area, not a pyramid).

FInally, I definitely lost a lot of time playing X-Zap. I'd completely forgotten the game until I saw the name on the first page. I can recall the arena (vaguely), but have no idea any more what the player character & NPCs were like.

I might just have to go off & hunting for them now. I'm sure one of the old Retro Gamer coverdisks has a C16 emulator on it somewhere...
Where logic won't work, I will

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:04 pm

gunbladelad wrote:I don't really recall many of the games, but I do recall one where you had to control a "jetpac"-style character, and it involved a lot of bricks building up. Looking through the topic, "Jetbrix" sounds like it could be it (although I'd need to see a screenshot to be sure)

zerocool

Post by zerocool » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:28 pm

SpeedKing and Pod were amongst my favourite games on the C16, bloody good computer... still have my original boxed with games till this day. Last time I played the C16 was over 16 years ago, I'll have to give it a spin for old times sake, all this C16 talk has made me well nostalgic.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 pm

That looks like it TMR. Just to confirm it, when the blocks fill up (I distinctively remember doing that to see what would happen), is there a line left at the top large enough for the player character to move left & right?

IIRC, no more blocks would fall until you cleared a gap...

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm

i loved jetbrix :D

C16 games are more rare to find on ebay these days. i see plenty of mastertronic and Commodore titles that came with the Plus4 but not much else. Occasionally I find the rare game, like my favourite game 'Tom Thumb' recently. The ful price titles are so few and far between these days :(

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 pm

for whatever reason, I only ever bought Mastertronic games for my C16 - and as I remember a few of them were quite good too.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:31 am

Sixteen Plus wrote:i loved jetbrix :D
I reckon we need to form a Jetbrix appreciation society on here as there seems to be a few people who liked it.

Jetbrix was and still is one of my all time favourite games and shows how to make an addictive game and fit it into 16k. It's one of those games that I could never see working on the other machines around at the time but on the C16 it worked brilliantly like so many more of Shaun Southerns games and a lot of other C16 games as well. To come up with an idea that combines Jetpac, Arkanoid and Tetris is a work of genius.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:56 am

Some of my favourite games where Bongo, Power Ball, G Man, Autozone, Fingers Malone and Manic Miner.. I completed them all apart from Manic Miner.. Technically Power Ball goes to that funny screen then crashes, and you could cheat by holding down to continue.. These days I can't get very far on them.. Would love a working Plus 4 to play Fingers Malone and stuff.. Also me and my friend used to play Storm in to players all the time

The only full price games I owned where Summer Games and Terrra Nova.. So impressed with Terra Nova as it spoke.. I did have both the Elite Hit Packs for Christmas.. I'm sure had Bongo cheap or swopped it..

Also had two Cartridges Space Oddessy and Jack Attack.. Couldn't get my sister of Jack Attack it was the only game she would play and could actually complete it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:22 am

Kaptain_Von wrote:Jetbrix was and still is one of my all time favourite games and shows how to make an addictive game and fit it into 16k. It's one of those games that I could never see working on the other machines around at the time but on the C16 it worked brilliantly like so many more of Shaun Southerns games and a lot of other C16 games as well. To come up with an idea that combines Jetpac, Arkanoid and Tetris is a work of genius.
It's still on my list of "if i ever get around to it, i'll port this to the C64" titles...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:50 am

How about a port to the CPC to appease all the Amstrad fans (I'm one myself, admittedly), lol...

In all seriouslness, I'll probably start digging around online to see if I can play Jetbrix again. my old C16 itself is long gone, but IIRC, the old RG coverdiscs might have had a C16 emulator or 2 on them