Commodore 16

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:00 am

snigfarp wrote:Is it also true that the machine can have different background colours on different parts of the hi-res screen (or different high-res character blocks on the low-res screen)? On the time slip screenshot I see yellow/black in one (hi-res) place and red/white in another. This is contrary to what I read about the high-res screen, that the background was constant across the whole of it.
Looking at the screenshot on commodore16.com i assume you mean the status bars and, if that's the case, there are two ways to do that; the first is to simply invert the character set and use the background colour for the black whilst the character colours handle the yellow, white and light green and the second is to enable Extended Colour Mode which only allows 64 characters in a font and uses the upper two bits of the character value to select one of four background colours. The extended colour mode would allow the text to be any colour out of the 121 available (as could the four background colours), so i'm guessing it's done with inversion.

marioman

Post by marioman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 am

It seems there is an interest in the C16 maybe we have now moved closer to getting the C16 put into Retro Gamer :D

I still need names for the pertition.
http://commodore-16.110mb.com/index.htm

Downloads Are Now Back Up

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:36 am

marioman wrote:It seems there is an interest in the C16 maybe we have now moved closer to getting the C16 put into Retro Gamer :D

I still need names for the pertition.
i'd sign it, but nobody can read my signature afterwards...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:11 am

marioman wrote:I still need names for the pertition.
You already have mine ............. I think!

PC BIL

Post by PC BIL » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm

I really loved Trizons by Richard Clark! But it seems like I am the only one. :?
Anybody even remember that one?

Pertition? Where do I sign?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:52 pm

Ultimately, I suspect the C16 is on Darran's list anyway. The reason the VIC piece took so long is that it was a while before someone (who was good enough) said they'd write it. With the C16, perhaps no-one's pitched it yet, but I suspect once someone (who's a competent writer) does, it'll appear not too long after.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:14 pm

PC BIL wrote:I really loved Trizons by Richard Clark! But it seems like I am the only one. :?
Anybody even remember that one?
i remember it, but i wasn't particularly keen on the thing...

marioman

Post by marioman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:40 am

Looks like we have ran out of steam :(
http://commodore-16.110mb.com/index.htm

Downloads Are Now Back Up

clarance

Re: Commodore 16

Post by clarance » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm

First of all, thanks to witchfinder for helping me discover this thread :)

Secondly, no mention of Udo Gertz, surely the finest of C16 coders, all five of his games were sublime -

Ghost Town
Tom Thumb
Bongo
Winter Events
Summer Events

Some of these, particularly the two 'Events' games, rival C64 games of similar ilk.

I am waiting patiently for a Udo Gertz article in RG...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:04 pm

The Events games are a masterpiece in 16k.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:07 pm

clarance wrote:First of all, thanks to witchfinder for helping me discover this thread :)

Secondly, no mention of Udo Gertz, surely the finest of C16 coders, all five of his games were sublime -

Ghost Town
Tom Thumb
Bongo
Winter Events
Summer Events

Some of these, particularly the two 'Events' games, rival C64 games of similar ilk.

I am waiting patiently for a Udo Gertz article in RG...
Did you ever complete Ghost Town used to love that game.. I remember 3 doors and if you went in somebody locked you in and you triped in dark and there was a vampire in the other.. I also had Bongo and Summer Games to of my favorite games.. My friend had Tom Thumb
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Did you ever complete Ghost Town used to love that game.. I remember 3 doors and if you went in somebody locked you in and you triped in dark and there was a vampire in the other..
It's a game I've only ever played on emulator to be honest, and I haven't the patience to get beyond the first few screens. Still there is a solution here, at the bottom of the page, if your German's up to scratch :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:51 pm

clarance wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Did you ever complete Ghost Town used to love that game.. I remember 3 doors and if you went in somebody locked you in and you triped in dark and there was a vampire in the other..
It's a game I've only ever played on emulator to be honest, and I haven't the patience to get beyond the first few screens. Still there is a solution here, at the bottom of the page, if your German's up to scratch :)
What emu do you use.. I use the ZX81 one for the PSP but I can't that Summer Games, Ghost and Goblins, Terra Nova and Fingers Malone to work.. Which happen to be the five games I want to play the most.. I'm still trying to get a working Plus 4 of ebay.. First ever computer back in 84 the C16 was..

Ghost Town the first few screen get the glove then the ladder to pick the rose with dying.. The forth screen that Cow grave thing it would kill you if you walked in front of it

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 pm

Just use YAPE on the PC, never had a problem with it. Just sold a Plus/4 on ebay, you can usually pick one up for around £20 if you're not bothered with it being boxed, and there are always a few around, but make sure they are working before you buy, a fair few suffer from various chip failures.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:24 pm

The one I bought was boxed and she was a female seller, so I just assumed she would have looked after it.. Catch was there was no Ariel lead get it set up turns on but the screen crashes.. Wish I had knew you where selling that I would have snapped your hand of for it