Commodore 16

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Spector wrote:I forgot to mention the brilliant Timeslip - another ace game that wouldn't work on the Spectrum or C64.
Why wouldn't they work on better spec platforms?
Because there are things you can do in 12K that you can't do in 64K :D

I'm being cryptic , I know, but it's hard to explain. Technically you can copy it, but that's not the only thing that counts. I did like the Kikstart C16 version though for C64 which removed a small flaw in the scroll, but generally I think that small games work best on small machines. Would anyone really care about playing Combat on an Atari ST?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:30 pm

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again...JETBRIX!!!!! :)

A superb game from Shaun Southern, absolutely suited to the C16 and horribly, horribly addictive. On top of that, add the Berks trilogy with particular emphasis on Major Blink, Autozone, Reach For The Sky, Xcellor8, Bounder, Tutti Frutti, Future Knight, Pinpoint, Prospector Pete, Hektik and Gullwing Falcon.

I think most of the others I would mention have already been covered.

I thought the C16/+4 (I had a +4) was a superb machine of its type. It was a bit like the VIC20 in that programmers had to think about what they were doing to get the best out of its 16K and when they did the results were usually pretty good. I have certainly never regretted buying mine in Debenhams sale exactly 21 years ago today.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm

I remember when me and my mate used to play all day long on his C16. Speed King and Ant Attack were the main one's I remember, then when he upgraded to a C64 and we loaded up Way of the Exploding Fist I remember we were both BLOWN AWAY by the quality of gfx and sound. Felt like we were starring in a Kung Fu movie!

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:01 am

Great machine and some great games.

Kickstart (or is it kikstart?)
Autozone
Fireant
Bandits at zero
Fingers Malone (cant get it to work on any emulator)
Rockman
Powerball
Worm(Not sure if this is the correct name - The game was a bit like snake)

marioman

Post by marioman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:08 am

TheDude18 wrote: Fingers Malone (cant get it to work on any emulator)
I thought FIngers Malone was cool but was one hard game to crack. I have a Tape image that works under emulation if your intereseted in trying it. I use Win Vice and run most things ok
http://commodore-16.110mb.com/index.htm

Downloads Are Now Back Up

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 am

Ive been using Vice for years now for my C64 / Vic20 fixes but have never bothered with the C16 - might have to give it a try now!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Ive been using Vice for years now for my C64 / Vic20 fixes but have never bothered with the C16 - might have to give it a try now!
Don't. The 264 emulation in VICE doesn't work anywhere near correctly, get hold of YAPE or Minus4 instead.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:07 am

TMR wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Ive been using Vice for years now for my C64 / Vic20 fixes but have never bothered with the C16 - might have to give it a try now!
Don't. The 264 emulation in VICE doesn't work anywhere near correctly, get hold of YAPE or Minus4 instead.
Cheers for the heads up!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

marioman

Post by marioman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:06 am

TheDude18 wrote: Worm(Not sure if this is the correct name - The game was a bit like snake)
I think this game is called Squirm if i remember right.

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:12 pm

Spector wrote:I forgot to mention the brilliant Timeslip - another ace game that wouldn't work on the Spectrum or C64.
I've had a look at the screen shot on www.commodore16.com and the game seems to be doing something technically clever with the graphics (i.e. something the C16/+4 can't officially do). It looks like I'm seeing a mixture of "high" and "medium" (multicolour) res graphics on the same screen, including some high res objects in the middle of the low-res screen. It's as if the machine had sprites - which I'm led to believe it doesn't. Does anyone know how they did this?
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:28 pm

snigfarp wrote:I've had a look at the screen shot on www.commodore16.com and the game seems to be doing something technically clever with the graphics (i.e. something the C16/+4 can't officially do). It looks like I'm seeing a mixture of "high" and "medium" (multicolour) res graphics on the same screen, including some high res objects in the middle of the low-res screen.
The hardware does it as a standard feature and the VIC 20 and C64 can both do the same mixing of modes as well. Getting more technical for a moment, one of the bits in the colour RAM gets taken over when multicolour mode is enabled; if that bit is clear the character appears as high res, if it's set the character is multicolour and the placement is totally arbitary.
snigfarp wrote:It's as if the machine had sprites - which I'm led to believe it doesn't.
No, it doesn't have hardware sprites and anything moving is handled with software.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 am

marioman wrote:
TheDude18 wrote: Worm(Not sure if this is the correct name - The game was a bit like snake)
I think this game is called Squirm if i remember right.
Spot on sir! Squirm it is!

Great game. Always remember that "power up" blacked out the screen for a period of time.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:45 am

Just remembered another one, GWNN (the Game With No Name) but particularly in it's original Challenger incarnation where all the nasty sprite definitions work.

marioman

Post by marioman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:54 am

Terra Nova from Anco was a game that shocked me because on the Hi Res loading screen it has speech that says "Welcome To Terra Nova A Journey Through The Unknown" How cool was that :D

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:59 am

TMR wrote:[The hardware does it as a standard feature and the VIC 20 and C64 can both do the same mixing of modes as well. Getting more technical for a moment, one of the bits in the colour RAM gets taken over when multicolour mode is enabled; if that bit is clear the character appears as high res, if it's set the character is multicolour and the placement is totally arbitary.
That explains what I'm seeing, then. Is it also true that the machine can have different background colours on different parts of the hi-res screen (or different high-res character blocks on the low-res screen)? On the time slip screenshot I see yellow/black in one (hi-res) place and red/white in another. This is contrary to what I read about the high-res screen, that the background was constant across the whole of it.
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/