Commodore 16

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:50 pm

TMR wrote:i have to mention the C16 version of Kikstart i s'pose, i liked it so much i took the thing apart and converted it to the C64. =-)
Kikstart is a superb game - I forgot about that! It really does show just how good the C16 was.

marioman

Post by marioman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:55 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Just recently, I've been playing C16 versions of Voidrunner and Trailblazer.
Trailblazer was another game that was wrote for the C16 then converted to other formats. Who said the C16 didn't have anything going for it.
http://commodore-16.110mb.com/index.htm

Downloads Are Now Back Up

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm

woody.cool wrote:
TMR wrote:i have to mention the C16 version of Kikstart i s'pose, i liked it so much i took the thing apart and converted it to the C64. =-)
Kikstart is a superb game - I forgot about that! It really does show just how good the C16 was.
I reviewed TMR's C64 conversion of the C16 Kikstart game for RGCD and it is fantasatic! You should get get the file and try it out. TMRs C64 version is a faithful but optimised conversion rather than a remake, so you will still get the authentic C16 goodness of it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:10 pm

I have a C16 with some bits and bobs for sale, never really liked the machine and never saw the point in it.
Why would I want to go backwards from a CBM64 to an under powered C16..?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I have a C16 with some bits and bobs for sale, never really liked the machine and never saw the point in it.
Why would I want to go backwards from a CBM64 to an under powered C16..?
How much you want for it? & what 'bits and bobs' do you have for it?

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:28 am

Shaun Southern was a great programmer for the Commodore 16, a sort of Jeff Minter for that machine. Just about everything he did was brilliant, like Kikstart, Pacmania (best pacman clone on C16 by a mile), Trailblazer, Formula 1 Simulator, Bandits at Zero and a few others too. What's so impressive about him is that these games are all in totally different genres, yet he seemed to take an expert's hand to them all: what a guy!

Apart from him, there's BMX Racers, which is superb, and Xzap was an interesting shoot em-em up unlike anything else. There's a decent version of Scooby Doo on there as well.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:02 am

SirClive wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
I reviewed TMR's C64 conversion of the C16 Kikstart game for RGCD and it is fantasatic! You should get get the file and try it out. TMRs C64 version is a faithful but optimised conversion rather than a remake, so you will still get the authentic C16 goodness of it.
Is it a TAP or T64? I hope so, cos I have software to transfer these to real tapes and then play in my C64 for that true retro feeling. PRGs are harder to transfer to tape and D64s I don't think can be transferred to tape at all.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:09 am

woody.cool wrote:
SirClive wrote:
woody.cool wrote: Kikstart is a superb game - I forgot about that! It really does show just how good the C16 was.
Is it a TAP or T64? I hope so, cos I have software to transfer these to real tapes and then play in my C64 for that true retro feeling. PRGs are harder to transfer to tape and D64s I don't think can be transferred to tape at all.
D64scan be transferred to tape - I've done it a few times, but you need to use a special lead that probably wont work on modern PC's. I'm sure there must be a modern equivalent.

The great thing about this way of making tape files is that there is a turboloader that I use in conjunction with it that makes PRG Commodore 16 game load in just 45 seconds!

oswald

Re: Commodore 16

Post by oswald » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:15 am

marioman wrote:As a C16 owner as a youngster i spent many hours playing great games on it. Two of my favorites were Monty On The Run and Mr Puniverse. Both platform games and very addictive to play.

I was wondering two things?

1. What other great games for the C16 do you remember playing?

2. Why hasn't Retro Gamer covered anything on the C16 that i can remember?
hmm I remember the name mr puniverse tho I have played it only 1-2 times. maybe because puni means pus sy in hungarian :lol:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:59 am

oswald wrote:hmm I remember the name mr puniverse tho I have played it only 1-2 times. maybe because puni means pus sy in hungarian :lol:
Now, Mr Pussyverse is a game I would love to play :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 pm

woody.cool wrote:Is it a TAP or T64? I hope so, cos I have software to transfer these to real tapes and then play in my C64 for that true retro feeling. PRGs are harder to transfer to tape and D64s I don't think can be transferred to tape at all.
T64 files are just PRG files with headers, D64 files are not too much different and, if you can transfer T64 files easily, you can quite happily convert a file out of a D64 or import a PRG to a T64 with something like StarCommander.

As a default, i tend to distribute stuff as D64 files because i put a second file on the image with the address of the Cosine website (when i remember =-)

C16

Post by C16 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
oswald wrote:hmm I remember the name mr puniverse tho I have played it only 1-2 times. maybe because puni means pus sy in hungarian :lol:
Now, Mr Pussyverse is a game I would love to play :wink:
Mr Puniverse is a brilliant little game to play. There were loads of great games on the C16/Plus 4 in the day and even now brilliant games are being released by the community.

Chris :)

marioman

Post by marioman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 am

Its good to see that this thread shows that the C16 was alive and still is. Tony Kelly was another good programmer who made alot of good games for the C16.
http://commodore-16.110mb.com/index.htm

Downloads Are Now Back Up

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:50 am

I forgot to mention the brilliant Timeslip - another ace game that wouldn't work on the Spectrum or C64.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am

Spector wrote:I forgot to mention the brilliant Timeslip - another ace game that wouldn't work on the Spectrum or C64.
Why wouldn't they work on better spec platforms?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward