Commodore 16

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Commodore 16

Post by clarance » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 am

adippm82 wrote:
Spector wrote:Commando however was Elite at their worst.
For me Commando was a masterpiece compared to Ghosts & Goblins, that was definitely Elite at their worst, just about got everything wrong with that one.

Paperboy on the C16 was also superbly bad, and also released by Elite...

Plenty of good conversions for the Plus/4 - there's versions of the Spy vs Spy games, Elite, Head over Heels, Laser Squad - all of them converted by Hungarian coders and never released commercially.


Adventures in Time, released a few years ago, shows the potential of the machine - but it has to be said that the Plus/4 is one of the most pointless releases in computer history, and all the more interesting for it.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
Oblisky
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Commodore 16

Post by Oblisky » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

adippm82 wrote:
Oblisky wrote:I got my +4 when I was 7. It was my first computer that I have fond memories of. The relatively short loading times compared to spectrum were good too. Games i remember are-

Treasure Island (without the annoying bit at the start that spectrum version had)
Fire Ant
Kickstart
Big Mac
Arthurnoid (better than arkanoid imo)

Theres a few others i cant remember the name of too.
All good little games, especially Arthurnoid, except for the hideous sound that rapidly becomes annoying.
I forgot how bad that music was until I played it recently. The other game I used to enjoy is Megabolts. Great game.

User avatar
Hiro
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Genova, Italy
Contact:

Re: Commodore 16

Post by Hiro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Well, not many C16 games had the virtue of having good music... the ones on top of my head are Trailblazer, Hustler, Exorcist, Winter Events :roll:
Image

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Commodore 16

Post by clarance » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Hiro wrote:Well, not many C16 games had the virtue of having good music... the ones on top of my head are Trailblazer, Hustler, Exorcist, Winter Events :roll:
Don't forget Daley Thompson's Star Events, by Martin Galway apparently, and there's a neat little tune used on a couple of Bug-Byte loaders as well that impressed me.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Commodore 16

Post by Spector » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Daley Thompsons Star Events was pretty good IIRC, and indeed so was winter events. We were desperate for that game and sent away for it via a dodgy mail order advert in a mag, and of course it turned out to be bogus.We finally got it a year later and I thought it was great, particularly since I beat my brother at it, heh.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
adippm82
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Commodore 16

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Spector wrote:Daley Thompsons Star Events was pretty good IIRC, and indeed so was winter events.
To go with those, I just have to add Summer events, Udo Gertz did a great job on the Events games, in fact all his games were great on C16, Bongo, Ghost Town, and the excellent Tom Thumb as well, which is head and shoulders over the C64 version.

Some very talented programmers worked on these machines.

User avatar
Hiro
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Genova, Italy
Contact:

Re: Commodore 16

Post by Hiro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 pm

clarance wrote:Don't forget Daley Thompson's Star Events, by Martin Galway apparently
The Chariots of Fire tune? Didn't know it was done by Galway :o
adippm82 wrote: To go with those, I just have to add Summer events, Udo Gertz did a great job on the Events games, in fact all his games were great on C16, Bongo, Ghost Town, and the excellent Tom Thumb as well, which is head and shoulders over the C64 version.

Some very talented programmers worked on these machines.
Yes, luckily (I'm speaking as a 1985-to-1987 C16 owner) we had Udo Gertz, Shaun Southern and Anco... they did most of the good things for the C16 and some excellent efforts.
Image

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

User avatar
adippm82
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Commodore 16

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Yes, Shaun Southern, responsible for some real classics on the 264 range.

Arthur Noid
Bandits At Zero
Dingbat
DizasterBlaster
Formula 1 Simulator
Jetbrix
KikStart
Laza!
Olympic Skier
Pacmania
POD (Proof Of Destruction)
Speed King
Trailblazer
Tutti Frutti
Vegas Jackpot

Not a bad body of work that lot, apart from the best IMO Arthurnoid, I am particularly fond of Bandits At Zero, a simple but smooth as silk Defender like game, Jet Brix, a game that really needs to be remade, and of course the original Trailblazer, I also disliked Formula One Simulator on every machine i have played it on, but this one plays OK.

I was playing an Anco game tonight that impressed me greatly, Pinpoint, a sort of Spindizzy type game in simpler form.

The C16 is my retro machine of choice at the moment purely because the games load in moments and often are a great pick up and play bunch of titles, just for half an hour or so, all I really have time for these days.

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Commodore 16

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:12 pm

clarance wrote:
adippm82 wrote:
Spector wrote:Commando however was Elite at their worst.
For me Commando was a masterpiece compared to Ghosts & Goblins, that was definitely Elite at their worst, just about got everything wrong with that one.

Paperboy on the C16 was also superbly bad, and also released by Elite...

Plenty of good conversions for the Plus/4 - there's versions of the Spy vs Spy games, Elite, Head over Heels, Laser Squad - all of them converted by Hungarian coders and never released commercially.


Adventures in Time, released a few years ago, shows the potential of the machine - but it has to be said that the Plus/4 is one of the most pointless releases in computer history, and all the more interesting for it.
It is a real shame concerning the Plus/4.

I like a lot of people (who knew little about computers) bought it seeing that it had 64k of memory and automatically thinking it would play C64 games.
Instead we were left with mainly C16 games although some of them were great fun.

The Plus/4 version of Saboteur showed what the computer was capable of, I would have loved to play some of the versions you mention above.

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Commodore 16

Post by TMR » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 pm

There was a playable preview of Adventures In Time 2 released last week if anyone missed it.

User avatar
Sixteen Plus
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:46 am

Re: Commodore 16

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 am

TMR wrote:There was a playable preview of Adventures In Time 2 released last week if anyone missed it.
Yeah that's going to be a great game, hopefully with little puzzle elements thrown in once completed. The immense Tom Thumb is going to be extremely difficult to beat though and that games works on an unexpanded C16.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest