Karous Wii

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

Karous Wii

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:04 am

Well looks like Japanese Wii owners are in for a bit of treat:

http://wii.qj.net/Karous-for-the-Wii-da ... aid/110575

Looks like a nice little package with 3 Milestone shooters included, lets hope it gets a UK release.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 am

That will certainly be one to look out for, but I'm guessing we'll probably get stiffed again.
Splink!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:45 am

felgekarp wrote:That will certainly be one to look out for, but I'm guessing we'll probably get stiffed again.
Yep hopefully some sympathetic software publisher in the uk will pick it up and release it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:40 am

God I hope this gets a release! 3 games on 1 disc is enough to make me want it. I wonder what the chances of a release outside of Japan is?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:35 pm

No chance imho.

Anyone who actually wanted these will already have the Dreamcast versions, they're so old.

I'm surprised they're even getting a JPN Wii release. Europe will never see these.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:No chance imho.

Anyone who actually wanted these will already have the Dreamcast versions, they're so old.

I'm surprised they're even getting a JPN Wii release. Europe will never see these.
Yep has to be said I've got Karous on the DC and Chaos Field on the GC both quite interesting shooters, the only glimmer of hope that a PAL release may happen is the fact that Chaos Field was due to be released in the UK on the GC (it sunk out of trace from the release schedule with the death of the GC) still stranger things have happened at sea....

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:40 pm

ShadowMan wrote:God I hope this gets a release! 3 games on 1 disc is enough to make me want it. I wonder what the chances of a release outside of Japan is?
We can only hope mate, I'm saving for the DC version of Radirgy at the moment

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:02 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:God I hope this gets a release! 3 games on 1 disc is enough to make me want it. I wonder what the chances of a release outside of Japan is?
We can only hope mate, I'm saving for the DC version of Radirgy at the moment
mmm, thats one nice game from the little I got to play. I need to expand my DC shmup library this year, right after I get Rendering Ranger...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:08 am

Thought Radilgy was very poor to be honest. Feels somewhat like a lazy Flash style game. Couldn't be bothered with Karous as it looks like more of the same, but apparently it has a very decent soundtrack.
Last edited by Kaede on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:00 am

Interesting choices to port to the Wii there, but...
QJ.net wrote:And it won't be coming to the Wii alone. Based on the translations we're picking up (via Babelfish), Karous will come with two other shooters: Chaos Field and Radilgy.
Sounds a bit vague. Do they mean these three shooters are being sold separetly or as a compilation?

If it is a compilation, and they use the Wii remotes for a more interactive control system they may have a winner!

Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone who actually wanted these will already have the Dreamcast versions, they're so old.
LOL never thought I'd see someone saying things are too old on a retro-gaming site :lol:
Seriously though the Wii is a new market for this type of thing, and I can see how these games could work with the Wii controls.

Kaede wrote:Thought Radigy was very poor to be honest. Feels somewhat like a lazy Flash style game. Couldn't be bothered with Karous as it looks like more of the same, but apparently it has a very decent soundtrack.
As I'v mentioned before, I think 'Radilgy' is a decent game if you get past the initial feeling of 'flash type' visuals, and although it looks similar 'Karous' is IMO a much better game than 'Radilgy', which isn't a bad little shooter if you give it a chance!

Of course it's all cR@P if you don't like shooters :roll: :wink:

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:16 am

Here's to hoping that they don't shoehorn in any needless Wiimote gimmicks. Shoot 'em ups are all about fast, simple, precision based gameplay.

Although for LOL's I'd love to hear you think this might work.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:22 am

For (infuriating) Wii controls, they could go something like:

Movement (Holding the remote nes style): Tilt the remote to the left or right to move to the respective side, and tilt it away from you to move forwards, and toward you to move backwards
*in event of 1000's of bullets hurtling toward your craft, shake the remote like a mad man and pray (you never know, you might not die)

or

Point the remote at the screen, and point with the remote where exactly you want your craft to fly. Guarenteed for many needless annoying deaths!

Alternatively you could use the D-pad for movement and use motion controls for firing such as:

Tilt the remote away from you to fire your weapon, thrust the remote away from you to throw a bomb (just like metal slug anthology)

or even better:

Use the D-pad and buttons, this is a precise Shmup game not a stupid party game dammit :D

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:02 am

Hmmm, a bit of retro thinking there I think ;)

I think this would be imminently playable with sensible use of the Wii remote!

The nunchuck or D-pad could be used for movement with buttons for normal firing, with the Wii remote being used for the sword attacks, by flicking the controller back and forth.

I think this would be a very comfortable way to play these games that would actually make them more intuitive and more responsive :twisted:
Last edited by GarryG on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:07 am

GarryG wrote:Hmmm, a bit of retro thinking there I think ;)

I think this would be imminently playable with sensible use of the Wii remote!

The nunchuck could be used for movement and/or normal firing, with the Wii remote being used for the sword attacks, by holding down a button and moving the controller. I think this would be a very comfortable way to play these games that would actually make them more intuitive and more responsive :twisted:
Eh, I wasn't being serious anyway. The sword attack theory sounds cool in concept though and would be interesting if they ever tried to implement anything like that.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:11 am

Just a thought,

I still play these on-and-off on the DC...

Now Under Defeat with a Wii-mote is a non starter ;)