Best ever controller

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best controller?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am

SNES pad
8%
Mega Drive pad
14%
Atari 2600 pad Mk1 or Mk2
3%
Saturn pad
21%
PS3 controller
2%
PS2 Dual Shock
22%
Dreamcast pad
3%
N64 pad
5%
Wii controller/GC pad
13%
mouse and/or keyboard
10%

Total votes: 63

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Maybe I've got strange hands but I genuinely love the feel of the infamous Atari Jaguar controller!

Of the more mainstream pads I'd vote for Sega Saturn's 3D Controller.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Kai

Post by Kai » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 am

PS2 dual shock. Still unsurpassed. Close second: CompetitionPro (Amiga/C64 stick).

CharlieWolf

Post by CharlieWolf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:35 am

As much as I'm fond of the original SNES pad design, I believe the Dual Shock/Dual Shock 2 design is by far the most comfortable and easy to use. I always liked the more adventurous N64 and Gamecube designs even though they do take some adjusting to.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:25 am

Am I missing something here, or isn't the (analogue)PS1 and PS2 (and PS3?) controller the same thing?

I know I can't tell the difference!

I'm probably more used to the Playstation controllers, but they doo seem a bit fiddely for some things.
The Xbox (and to a lesser extent the 360) controllers still feel a bit big and awkward.
The Dreamcast one is more comfortable to hold than the Xbox one, and I like the idea of the VMU plugins.
The Game Cube one is also Ok, on a par with the PS... ones.
The NES, SNES, Mastersystem Megadrive and Saturn ones are all ok, but sometimes seema bit flimsey, and harder to hold than the newer designes.

But to be honest I still prefer a good old fashioned (quickshot II type) joystick above any game-pad type controller!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:03 am

Ps1 controller has analogue sticks. PS2 has analogue everything. A good example of this is the game 'The Bouncer' (still want a sequal) each of the 4 face buttons could have 3 moves mapped to it depending on how hard you pushed the button iirc. (Prob something wrong there but it's been ages since I played it. Prob after then 15th time of completing it).
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Ps1 controller has analogue sticks. PS2 has analogue everything.
GarryG wrote:I can't tell the difference!
:oops: :roll:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:55 am

Didn't think the shoulder buttons were analogue on Dual Shock 2, just the face buttons.

Never found the analogue on them to be particularly useful as the travel is so shallow.

GC controllers have analogue shoulder buttons that work well and the analogue triggers on the DC pads are very effective, more so than X-Box.

Of the PS1 pads, I really like the original 'non-stick' digital version. I still have an original analogue pad as well, the one from before dual shock, it has twin sticks but no vibration and is slightly bulkier than later versions.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Didn't think the shoulder buttons were analogue on Dual Shock 2, just the face buttons.

Never found the analogue on them to be particularly useful as the travel is so shallow.

GC controllers have analogue shoulder buttons that work well and the analogue triggers on the DC pads are very effective, more so than X-Box.

Of the PS1 pads, I really like the original 'non-stick' digital version. I still have an original analogue pad as well, the one from before dual shock, it has twin sticks but no vibration and is slightly bulkier than later versions.
I got one those pads inported years ago with built-in single rumble feature, still got it somewhere in my bedroom.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:56 pm

The perfect modern day controller would have the overall design of the 360 pad, the triggers from the DC (when you pulled them they stopped way before they met flush with the casing meaning that you were well assured it was being pulled 100%), the D-pad and face buttons from the Saturn mk2 and the analogue sticks from the 360 controller.

I reckon the 360 has got real close to perfection this time round, especially how MS sorted out them horrible convex face buttons, but sadly if anything the D-Pad is worse than the S-Controller, why didn't they just slap in a decent D-pad like the Saturn or Mega Drive one even is beyond me.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:32 pm

For first-party console controllers, I would have to say the SNES pad. I mentioned this in another thread a moment ago, but I'll repeat myself anyway. The moment I held that in my hand and used it, my worries about D-pads vanished.

Second is the much-maligned Intellivision controller. It took an afternoon to get used to, but once I learned it it was marvellous. I found that I could spin the disc around for turns of 90 degrees or less, or slide across for instant 180 degree turns. The side buttons were rubbish, but I became used to them. The numeric keypad with the sliders was also a bit flat, but with the overlays it became easy to learn their specific functions. Also, the overlays added a nice visual element.

In general, I prefer a digital joystick. I think. I haven't been able to get one running properly for me in ages. I did buy a USB Competition Pro, but I found I didn't care for it. Too big to hold comfortably.

I always used the little Slik Stik with my C64, Amiga, and ST. Initially, it was because it was I was young and poor, and it was the cheapest one around. Later, I found that I really liked being able to hold the base of the stick in the palm of my hand and still reach the fire button without stretching.

If only there was a USB Slik Stik, I would be one happy gamer.

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:35 am

My vote would go to the Sega Saturn. It just felt 'right.' Especially when playing fighting games.

I do like the Xbox 360 controller as well.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:23 am

Good man, did you actually vote on the poll? As the Saturn pad is still only 1 point off the crappy Dual Shock, and we can't have that now can we! :)

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:12 am

Man.....it has to be the NES or sega master system pads....with their ergonimically designed "rectangular" design and the 2 buttons....for jump and kick....or punch.

COOOLLL!!!!

I don`t think N64 should be in the poll.....when you use the D pad its too wide and when you use the analogue you can`t reach the L button.......when the analogue is not pumping out the grey powder....and has no slop.

When I was a kid my mate had an atari 2600 with 2 x joysticks,,,,I thought they were stiff and hard to use....I got an atar1 2600 a couple of weeks ago and its still the same......bad but good...love it!!!
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

Devious

Post by Devious » Tue May 27, 2008 2:55 pm

The PlayStation controllers would be cool if they had a 4-way joypad like the Nintendo controllers instead of their discrete 4-way buttons.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm

I know what you're saying Devious, but I've opened up many Dual Shock pads before and I'm positive it's not 4 buttons, but an actual joypad but with a cut-out design on the controller which gives the impression they are separate buttons (it might have been different with the very first psx pads?). Doesn't make the pad any better though, I still hate it! :lol: