GP2X - I WANT ONE......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

GP2X - I WANT ONE......

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:05 am

My inbox had this info from lik-sang......

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3 ... ref=html13

There is just tooooooo many good things about this system......

got to order one! and its the updated batch!

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am

GDIL I want one of these now...

sparky

Post by sparky » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 am

Though the GP32 had many positive points, the GP2X seems to have a lot more going for it.

I spent hours deleting and loading different emulators and games on the GP32, something that's not going to be such an issue with the 2X because of the SD memory slot.

When I heard news of the next unit, I was quick to cash it in and it now seems they have ironed out many of the initial problems.

It now seems my mind is made up as to which item I'll go for.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 am

Does it come with the firmware 1.4 upgrade or do you still have to do that yourself..? (I had a quick read of the link but couldn't see it)

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:24 am

Mine arrived yesterday and I spent most of the evening playing Final Fight 3 and Beats of Rage. 8) Round about midnight I discovered a really good Picross game and consequently didn't get to sleep until much later. Had to run for the train this morning. :D

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:24 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Does it come with the firmware 1.4 upgrade or do you still have to do that yourself..? (I had a quick read of the link but couldn't see it)
I have the 2nd version and mine came with Ver. 1.2.1 installed.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:41 am

The GP2X is a bit more fiddly to set up than the GP32 (and the site I got mine from didn't state that it would require a Card Reader to format the SD!). I'm STILL waiting for my TV-Out lead after three weeks.

However there are signs that the various emulators are gradually improving so I'll probably use it a bit more in a few months time.

Deadl0ck

Post by Deadl0ck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:36 am

There's a really good GP2X info site here:
http://www.mygp2x.com/

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:10 am

It seriously needs an actual battery though.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:48 am

Yep the PSP emulator (FF7 on the move) and the Exult engine (Ultima VII) have definitely persuaded me to get one.
:)

I'll probably wait till the summer though before buying it.

Hopefully the firmware will be pretty stable by then, power issues should be gone, and there should be a new joystick cap. Plus all the emualtors should be much more complete.
c64 > spectrum 48k

deKay

Post by deKay » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:39 am

flojomojo

Re:

Post by flojomojo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 am

deKay wrote:I did want a GP2X, but now...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/02/game ... -xgp-mini/
That's not coming out until later this year, though -- and their shipping times have been known to slip. We also don't know exactly how "open" these consoles will be.

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Hmm, given that the main selling point of this product line is it's "openness", I find it hard to believe they'd release a device with different terms.

If it was closed source they'd probably fail to sell. Look at the Neo Geo pocket machines - far superior to the GameBoy range in pretty much every respect (unless you count Mario as an essential 'component' ;)), but it couldn't stand up against Nintendo. A closed source / proprietary console would have no chance of succeeding now against Sony and Nintendo unless it was developed and marketed by another of the huge electrical/entertainment companies - and even then it would be an uphill struggle to sign developers of a high enough calibre for it...

I think GamePark has it about right - they know their niche. Perhaps the newer models will widen that niche, but realistically they know their market and surely don't have an eye on replacing or even competing with the "big boys".

I too was going to pick up the 2X but I think I'll hold off for the newer models...

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:10 pm

OriginalJax wrote: I too was going to pick up the 2X but I think I'll hold off for the newer models...
O-Jax
There is no "newer model". If you're referring to the XGP - that is made by Gamepark wheras the GP2X is made by Gamepark Holdings. They are completely disconnected.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi all,
have had my GP2X for a couple of months now and absolutely love it! The range and quality of the emulators available for it are amazing, (if someone could just get the Beeb one right!), the battery life is good and with a little bit of tweaking the joystick is also really good now.
I would recommend it highly. I get up to five hours from my 2500ni-mh batteries and I got an SD card reader free with mine from GBAX.
Infinitely superior to the crappy Zodiac I had before and cheaper than the PSP!
'What's a Ftoomch?'