Neo Geo AES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:25 am

So, it's possible to play MVS carts on an AES if you have the uni bios?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:34 am

Kaede wrote:So, it's possible to play MVS carts on an AES if you have the uni bios?
You'll need a converter to play MVS games on an AES as well since the MVS carts aren't programmed to work with home consoles outright. Though if you go down this route you may as get a Uni bios as well since later MVS games don't work with the converters and instead display a red lock out screen, the uni bios bypasses the screen allowing the games to boot.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:36 am

Ah. I thought there was some sort of mod to let you play MVS carts on the home system.

Are converters expensive?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:43 am

Kaede wrote:Ah. I thought there was some sort of mod to let you play MVS carts on the home system.

Hard to say, they are over £100 to get which in my opinion is expensive if you don't already have an AES since it would work out cheaper to get a little Supergun and a 1 slot MVS main board which would do the same thing except without any compatibility problems (and for most MVS mainboards installing a uni bios is dead simple to!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Mootown wrote:It's only the AES Samurai V that's censored though isn't it??
MVS is uncensored, only the AES version got hit on that screw up.

However, in reply to entering your own codes, I did find this on the uni bios site:

"If you are not happy with the cheats already there then you can patch directly into memory any place you like adding your own. "

So, I guess that is a "Yes" to added boss codes to SVC, if you have the codes that is!
Yeah that's what I thought - hmmmm now to find those damn codes :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:19 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Kaede wrote:Ah. I thought there was some sort of mod to let you play MVS carts on the home system.

Hard to say, they are over £100 to get which in my opinion is expensive if you don't already have an AES since it would work out cheaper to get a little Supergun and a 1 slot MVS main board which would do the same thing except without any compatibility problems (and for most MVS mainboards installing a uni bios is dead simple to!)
Yeah, agreed - installing the uni bios is well easy - pop out a chip and put the new one in ! Although is was pretty nerve racking upon powering up again in case I'd done it wrong...

The converters for MVS into AES are well expensive - I've seen Phantom Converters for upwards of £250 / £300 which is a right rip-off.

You can get consolised MVS boards though which are pretty cool as they plug straight into a TV and even use the standard SNK controllers :)

I was thinking of getting one for when I don't want to stand up at my cabinet haha

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:01 am

Mootown wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:

Yeah, agreed - installing the uni bios is well easy - pop out a chip and put the new one in ! Although is was pretty nerve racking upon powering up again in case I'd done it wrong...

The converters for MVS into AES are well expensive - I've seen Phantom Converters for upwards of £250 / £300 which is a right rip-off.

You can get consolised MVS boards though which are pretty cool as they plug straight into a TV and even use the standard SNK controllers :)

I was thinking of getting one for when I don't want to stand up at my cabinet haha
Consolised MVS boards properly done can look as good - or better than AES consoles. I can't blame you for wanting one, they are mighty tempting.
I plan on getting another MVS mainboard in the future for the MVS only releases. A CMVS is mighty tempting but I'd probably just go for a mainboard to go with my Supergun since it already works with my JAMMA boards, CPS2 and Hyper Neo Geo 64 boards.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:32 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Consolised MVS boards properly done can look as good - or better than AES consoles. I can't blame you for wanting one, they are mighty tempting.
I plan on getting another MVS mainboard in the future for the MVS only releases. A CMVS is mighty tempting but I'd probably just go for a mainboard to go with my Supergun since it already works with my JAMMA boards, CPS2 and Hyper Neo Geo 64 boards.
What do you reckon to the Hyper 64? I almost got one a while ago just to play some Samurai 64 but I played it in London years ago and I thought it was a little weak. I was looking at getting an Atomiswave tho - that's where all the neo action is these days!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:57 am

Mootown wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
What do you reckon to the Hyper 64? I almost got one a while ago just to play some Samurai 64 but I played it in London years ago and I thought it was a little weak. I was looking at getting an Atomiswave tho - that's where all the neo action is these days!
The Hyper is a rather nice piece of kit in my opinion. I have 3 of the 4 fighting games on it and each offer very nice unique game styles.
Fatal Fury Wild Ambition is like Real Bout 2 but you can side step as opposed to moving in and out of the background, if you like FF you should like this.
Samurai Shodown 2 is the Sequel to the 1st Hyper 64 release. More characters and better graphics and gameplay make it the most popular of the 4 released. Its a really good game and is very tense to play since its still about poking and making the right moves at the right time rather than flashy combos.
Buriki One is the "odd ball" of the 3 I have as you use the A and B buttons to move and execute special moves with the joystick. It really is something you must play at least once, I really enjoy the different mechanics of the game, its a semi fighting/wrestling/grappling game and is the only game of its kind.
If you can find a Hyper 64 cheap I'd go for it. I got my motherboard (2nd revision) as well as all 3 games for £75.

As for the Atomiswave, my Supergun is wired to take the system so I plan on getting one sooner or later. Like you said, it has KOF XI, Metal Slug 6 (best slug in a long time), Neo Geo Battle Collesium and Samurai Shodown Tenka as well as a few other games worth owning. Its to bad the board is no longer used, Its all about Taito's Type X2 board now which will be used with KOF XII as well as the just released King of Fighters Maximum Impact Reg. A and the soon to be released Samurai Shodown Sen.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Check this episode of Weekend Gamer TV for some great info on building an MVS supergun;

http://www.weekend-gamer.co.uk/wgtv/episodes/ep3.htm

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:28 pm

MC1 wrote:Check this episode of Weekend Gamer TV for some great info on building an MVS supergun;

http://www.weekend-gamer.co.uk/wgtv/episodes/ep3.htm
You stooge, how much are they paying you?
Splink!

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:54 pm

:lol: Nothing mate.

I have mentioned before, that episode is my fav.

I love the Neo Geo and have been a good boy this year, so Santa is getting me an AES. I have wanted one for years.

Opa is obviously a good person to post about this topic, I think he would always advise the MVS route, which I totally agree with. But...I just had to have the AES.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Just mod your Xbox, get a copy of FBA-XXX Pro and a Magic Box adaptor so you can rig up a Saturn MKII pad and bob's your uncle: NEO GEO HEAVEN.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Always wanted a Neo Geo but the price has put me off - hopefully I might save up and buy one next year! :)

Master Megatron

Post by Master Megatron » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:44 pm

That's too bad about Metal Slug's high price, I'd buy the Neo-Geo just to play that.