Neo Geo AES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
David
Posts: 3877
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:05 am

Neo Geo AES

Post by David » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 am

The thread on "Emulation vs The Real thing" got me thinking about the Neo Geo

Neo Geo games are the only ones I really play through Emulators, as the chances of me ever owning all of those games is a million to one.

Do any of you have an AES console? Is it worth it to have "the real thing" in this instance?

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:38 am

I would say its worth having one :) The experience of playing with that pad is sublime. Just a shame that the games cost an arm and a leg.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
David
Posts: 3877
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:05 am

Post by David » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:40 am

Is it worth it even if you have a Dreamcast with the Arcade stick and games like Garou, etc?

User avatar
Shin_Gouki
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Shadow Moses Island, Fox Archipelago

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:17 am

Even as a collector, I can't seem to justify the price of these things.

I'd love one, but there's no way I'm paying stupid money for it.
真・豪鬼

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:20 am

I'm a proud owner of an AES and would personally say it is worth having the real thing (though having shelled out the money I would say that!)

Its really down the the 1 question: Are you willing to spend a fair amount of money for an AES and its games?
For instance, old games such as Magician Lord or King of the Monsters can be had for about £17 new on eBay while games such as Art of Fighting 1 and 2 as well as early KOF, Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown games can also be had for next to nothing. However if you want later games like Last Blade, Metal Slug or Garou MOW then you need to spend big money on all of them (MS goes for £1000, LB 1 and 2 for around £120 each and Garou averages around £200+ for a complete version)

If you want to own Neo Geo games without the high cost, get the MVS (arcade) cartridges. Even games such as Garou and Metal Slug will only cost £40 max with most others around £20. The only difference between AES and MVS is that AES games are Boxed with manuals which are ideal for gamers who also want to collect and display them, MVS games come in Cardboard boxes but complete kits do come with the marquees as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
video-gamer-girl
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:07 am
Location: Clankers Cavern/Near Heathrow air port

Post by video-gamer-girl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:49 am

i am dreaming for a AES since it was out in the 90's they are a pricey then and now still expencive. just dream on my Husband says
Image

Image

User avatar
playgeneration
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:04 am

Post by playgeneration » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:56 am

I love my AES console, theres loads of game you can get cheaply - under £20. I've got Metal Slug, its an MVS converted cartridge, such a great game, played a few of the later slug games on ps2 and xbox, but its just not the same at all.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:06 am

playgeneration wrote:I love my AES console, theres loads of game you can get cheaply - under £20. I've got Metal Slug, its an MVS converted cartridge, such a great game, played a few of the later slug games on ps2 and xbox, but its just not the same at all.
The slug series lost it after number 3 in my opinion. 4 felt rushed and parts of the game were far to hard to be fun (which is unusual for Slug).
5 was better but I really wasn't a fan of the Mega Man slide move, I wound up getting killed to many times by accident. That game really is unfinished.

http://www.tenchionline.com/ragey/Metal ... aphics.htm

The above link shows that there would have been an awesome turtle boss, as well as the masked dude actually doing something in the game (as opposed to showing up after the 1st level and doing absolutely nothing!) To bad these weren't used in the final version.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:45 am

I have an MVS cabinet after owning both Neo CD systems (CD and CDZ)and an AES and I have to say I prefer the MVS overall. The issue of not having a box for the games is easily overcome by getting a shockbox and a fan made MVS insert. Looks really nice having every MVS cart in its own box and the amount of money you save is immense. I paid £365 for Metal Slug 3 on AES when it came out and recently bought it on MVS for only £30. Bargain.

I also have mine modded so I can change the MVS bios to AES which means I get all the nice home version Vs's modes and options too.

Neo rules :)

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 am

Mootown wrote: I also have mine modded so I can change the MVS bios to AES which means I get all the nice home version Vs's modes and options too.

Neo rules :)
I've just got my AES modded as well in the same way (Uni Bios right?).
Really, really handy since SNK always censored Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown outside of Japan. Not to mention all the extra cheats you can use to unlock boss characters out of fighting games and such, its a must!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:04 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Mootown wrote: I also have mine modded so I can change the MVS bios to AES which means I get all the nice home version Vs's modes and options too.

Neo rules :)
I've just got my AES modded as well in the same way (Uni Bios right?).
Really, really handy since SNK always censored Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown outside of Japan. Not to mention all the extra cheats you can use to unlock boss characters out of fighting games and such, its a must!
:) Absolutely. Being able to play the games in english AND with red blood is great. I also like being able to turn on the secret characters without having to mess around putting in codes!

Uni Bios is genius - although I think mine is a bit out of date as there are no codes for SVC Chaos - can I add these do you know?

User avatar
MikeHaggar
Posts: 4787
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:21 am

Mootown wrote:Uni Bios is genius - although I think mine is a bit out of date as there are no codes for SVC Chaos - can I add these do you know?
http://unibios.free.fr/upgrade.html

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:29 am

Mootown wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
Mootown wrote: I also have mine modded so I can change the MVS bios to AES which means I get all the nice home version Vs's modes and options too.

Neo rules :)
I've just got my AES modded as well in the same way (Uni Bios right?).
Really, really handy since SNK always censored Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown outside of Japan. Not to mention all the extra cheats you can use to unlock boss characters out of fighting games and such, its a must!
:) Absolutely. Being able to play the games in english AND with red blood is great. I also like being able to turn on the secret characters without having to mess around putting in codes!

Uni Bios is genius - although I think mine is a bit out of date as there are no codes for SVC Chaos - can I add these do you know?
As haggar said, you can simply get yours upgraded to the newest version for the cost of postage. I haven't played around with inputting codes and such myself yet so I wouldn't know but upgrading also improves
compatibility and irons out any flaws with the previous version.

That and the later versions completely uncensor Samurai Shodown Zero (5) Special which was fror whatever reason censored on release. I'm not talking about minor fatalities and blood but rather many unique fatalities per character.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:07 am

It's only the AES Samurai V that's censored though isn't it??

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:20 am

Mootown wrote:It's only the AES Samurai V that's censored though isn't it??
MVS is uncensored, only the AES version got hit on that screw up.

However, in reply to entering your own codes, I did find this on the uni bios site:

"If you are not happy with the cheats already there then you can patch directly into memory any place you like adding your own. "

So, I guess that is a "Yes" to added boss codes to SVC, if you have the codes that is!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests