What do you call consoles, and what do you call computers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

What do you call consoles, and what do you call computers?

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:07 am

I’ve been reading through a lot of posts lately where people seem to be calling different machines from different times by a range of different names.

As someone whose lived through all these times and got equipment of each type I’ve thrown up the following little diagram to show what I would call things.

Do you agree?

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:17 am

Whether I've had a computer (Spectrum, PC) or a console, I have always just referred to gaming as "playing the computer"

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:32 am

Consoles - Primary Function playing games/Entertainment

Computers - Primary function - For programming, education etc
Secondary function - Games

Will probably get shot for such a glib statement but hey

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:38 am

So does nobody else remember things like the ATARI VCS being largely referred to as 'VIDEO GAMES', with most PONG type stuff before that being mostly referred to as TV games?

Or are these terms just unknown to younger gamers?
GovanGer wrote:Whether I've had a computer (Spectrum, PC) or a console, I have always just referred to gaming as "playing the computer"
Where as I'd have a hard job getting my head round calling a console a computer (I've always worked in computing, and to me a console isn't a computer!)
Last edited by GarryG on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:39 am

I call one darling and the other sir, but I'm not telling you which is which.
Splink!

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:48 am

I always say if its got a keyboard its a computer, If not its a console. Seems to be irrelevant if that machine is primarily used for games or not. Take the 8-bit computers for example (C64, Speccy), how many people used them for any other than playing games?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:08 am

I did, and the Atari 800XL, and the VIC 20... ;)

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:15 am

GarryG wrote:So does nobody else remember things like the ATARI VCS being largely referred to as 'VIDEO GAMES', with most PONG type stuff before that being mostly referred to as TV games?

Or are these terms just unknown to younger gamers?
GovanGer wrote:Whether I've had a computer (Spectrum, PC) or a console, I have always just referred to gaming as "playing the computer"
Where as I'd have a hard job getting my head round calling a console a computer (I've always worked in computing, and to me a console isn't a computer!)
My first gaming experiences were with the PONG type TV games and then an Atari 2600, but I was only about 6 years old.

I fiurst got into gaming seriously when I got a Spectrum 128K when I was a kid, any any consoles I have owned after that I have always just referred to them as computers

I guess I am just a big weirdo :D

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 am

I dunno, maybe it's just me...

TV Games conjures up images of PONG type system, Video Games makes me think of ATARI VCS/Colecovision type machines, and Consoles means anything from the SEGA Master System and up.

A 'computer' makes me think of a PC, MAC, or a UNIX based system.

A 'home computer' makes me think of things like the ZX81, VIC 20, Spectrum and C64 etc.

Probably because that's how I've heard people refer to them at the time they were the current cutting-edge technology, and it's just stuck!?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:41 am

felgekarp wrote:I call one darling and the other sir, but I'm not telling you which is which.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:25 am

I would class anything that comes with a keyboard as standard, a computer.

Anything without one (that plays games) as a console.

Anything else that shares similar functions with either I would classify by its name or function (a Sky+ box is a Sky+ Box etc).
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 am

(The first commercially available TV PONG-type games system that I ever got)
So who would call this a console?

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:55 am

You've got a few spelling mistakes in your diagram Garry :wink:

Something designed to play games with is a console, a computer you can use for a constructive purpose and play games..

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:20 pm

oli_lar wrote:You've got a few spelling mistakes in your diagram Garry :wink:
Yip, I know. I whipped it up in two minutes, and didn't pay much attention to what I was typing; er, same as usual there :roll:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I always thought the term 'video games' was very American. Back in the 80's I never used this term and instead used 'computer games' to describve everything from the C64 to the Sega Mega Drive. It was only sice I went on the net I think taht I started to call gaming 'video games'.

As for what I would class as a computer and console, I thought that was fairly obvious, a console is a machine dedicated to playing games ie: SNES, and a computer is primarily designed for other things, with gaming being a function of the machine.