Emulation vs the real thing!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:50 am

I do like the MAME and Neo Geo emulators though, for introdcung me to Wind Jammers, Neo Drift Out, The Punisher, Shock Troopers 2, and letting me play WRESTLEFEST again!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:43 am

All of the above ;)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm

Here's a story:

I own an MVS Neo cab, which has a perfect, brand new monitor and stereo speakers etc - so I used the Neo emulators to play all the titles I didn't have access to so I could decide whether I wanted to buy em or not. After playing Shock Troopers 2 on a very good PC, I really liked it and bought it only to find the real game slows down almost to a stop on MVS - this really ruins the game. The graphics even have less flicker on the PC, but the actual quality looks exactly the same.

So the emulator was doing it 'wrong' (better than the original!) - It's very weird playing Metal Slug 2 with no slow down at all for example - it's bloody rock hard on the later levels.

I think emulators are great - but I prefer playing sat at my arcade cabinet, there's defo something to be said for that.

I think I need to bite the bullet and purchase the first shock troopers..

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Oh and also - how good does the Commodore 64 look on a decent PC emulator? Brilliant :)

Does anyone know how they look if you hook up a PC to a hi-def tv?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:35 pm

GovanGer wrote:I have got thousands of ROMS on my PC, but I found that I wasn't giving the games enough attention when playing via emulation.

I would try a new game, and if I got killed a few times I would end up just picking another game from the list.

Then I got sick and tired of the 360/PS3 and got my DC back out, and bought a Megadrive and N64

To me, emulation doesn't come close to the real thing. For example, even though I know I have got every single Megadrive game ever made on an emulator, it still doesn't compare to finding a copy of the actual game, and playing it on the real console.
This is a great point, and it's something I've experienced a lot with emulation. That's not to say I don't enjoy it because I do, and like other have posted things like the Amiga and Spectrum etc I feel are better with emulation as you don't have to sit about waiting for things to load, swapping disks, taking up room etc.

It's difficult to stick to one game! Why is this? It's very hard to appreciated a game and stick at it when you're just using a rom, but when I've bought the game I'm always been more inclined to play more.
Mootown wrote:Oh and also - how good does the Commodore 64 look on a decent PC emulator? Brilliant :)

One thing I don't like about emulating the C64 on the PC is that modern monitors don't support 50hz, and I know you can double the refresh to 100hz to get a smooth effect, but it still doesn't feel anywhere near authentic. that's why I emulate C64 on my Xbox as it gives liquid smooth scrolling and is indistinguishable from the original hardware on the TV screen.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:43 am

I better try playing the Amstrad CPC version of Outrun at 500% then, who knows, I MIGHT even find SOME playabilty... :lol:

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:10 am

C=Style wrote:
GovanGer wrote:I have got thousands of ROMS on my PC, but I found that I wasn't giving the games enough attention when playing via emulation.

I would try a new game, and if I got killed a few times I would end up just picking another game from the list.

Then I got sick and tired of the 360/PS3 and got my DC back out, and bought a Megadrive and N64

To me, emulation doesn't come close to the real thing. For example, even though I know I have got every single Megadrive game ever made on an emulator, it still doesn't compare to finding a copy of the actual game, and playing it on the real console.
This is a great point, and it's something I've experienced a lot with emulation. That's not to say I don't enjoy it because I do, and like other have posted things like the Amiga and Spectrum etc I feel are better with emulation as you don't have to sit about waiting for things to load, swapping disks, taking up room etc.

It's difficult to stick to one game! Why is this? It's very hard to appreciated a game and stick at it when you're just using a rom, but when I've bought the game I'm always been more inclined to play more.
Mootown wrote:Oh and also - how good does the Commodore 64 look on a decent PC emulator? Brilliant :)

One thing I don't like about emulating the C64 on the PC is that modern monitors don't support 50hz, and I know you can double the refresh to 100hz to get a smooth effect, but it still doesn't feel anywhere near authentic. that's why I emulate C64 on my Xbox as it gives liquid smooth scrolling and is indistinguishable from the original hardware on the TV screen.
If you're using a PC for emulation its worthwhile getting a decent CRT monitor. I picked up a 20" Sony Trinitron (one of the DELL ones) flat screen CRT from a local indy computer shop (RedHouse computers) for £50 over a year ago. You can cover pretty much all the custom res and refresh rates that you need to.

Apart from the space saving, I still don't really understand the popularity of LCD's over CRT where computer monitors are concerned they're nowhere near as good.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 am

I hear you - it's annoying actually, as they're getting almost impossible to find in Poland now. Not just for gaming but also for proper video colour matching a CRT is essential. You can still find some cheap ones at the moment if you try really hard, but soon they'll be "R@RE!!!!+" and commanding ridiculous prices to those who genuinely need one...

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:42 am

ivarf wrote:I better try playing the Amstrad CPC version of Outrun at 500% then, who knows, I MIGHT even find SOME playabilty... :lol:
Don't bother - a crap conversion is a crap conversion, no matter what you may try to do to 'fix' it.

Stick with ChaseHQ on the Amstrad - a sublime conversion.
"I am blind, but I am able to read thanks to a wonderful new system known as broil. I'm sorry, I'll just feel that again..."

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:39 am

I prefer the real thing as far as the emulation versus the real thing debate goes, but I'm going to bring another console down from my Attic Arcade to the living room to sit alongside my Saturns, 360 and PS2.

My problem is - do I bring my Dreamcast down with the complete Megedrive r0m collection cd or the actual Megadrive and the 100+ carts I possess?

The Dreamcast option would mean that I'm still playing Sega games on a Sega console, right?

Or would you still bring the MD down?
Thoughts and prayers.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:54 am

If you set up your emulation PC similarly to this

Then you can set all the emu's up with a single front-end so you can still enjoy the boxart and paraphernalia, use avi vids instead of screenshots to get a little thumbnail of the game in action while you browse, and control your entire game collection from the comfort of a single joypad.

This one is set up so that the shoulder buttons cycle between emulator game lists, the d-pad navigates the menu's and the start button launches the games.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7329/dsc0234fy6.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8759/dsc0235zf8.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/487/dsc0237hc4.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9813/dsc0238ym8.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5497/dsc0239vw4.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3135/dsc0240kn9.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6526/dsc0242lt7.jpg

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7826/dsc0243uu5.jpg

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6393/dsc0244tg5.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5797/dsc0250hd4.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8338/dsc0253tp7.jpg

Still armchair gaming at its finest, and with the right options and filters applied its pretty much identical to the original experience, only without the dozens of wires, controllers and games boxes all over the living room.

There are actually about 30 emulators set up on this system (mamewah) but I got fed up taking pics and thought the above shots were more than enough to be illustrative.
Last edited by FatTrucker on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:59 am

Better yet, just mod your Xbox and emulate that way. Really it's the greatest way to play retro. Like said earlier in the thread, you can also play Shock Troppers 2nd Squad and even adjust the overclock if you want it authentic/faster than the actual hardware. I hate emulation on PC monitors, even if they are CRT ones as the picture never looks the same as a TV running RGB, in my opinion anyway.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:01 am

That looks pretty amazing. The drawback for me, though, would be the fact that you 'd have to use Windows. I'd rather not have any gaming than use windows.

Smart set up, though.
Thoughts and prayers.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:03 am

rossi46 wrote:That looks pretty amazing. The drawback for me, though, would be the fact that you 'd have to use Windows. I'd rather not have any gaming than use windows.

Smart set up, though.
In terms of Windows, once its all setup you need never notice windows is there. Bang the .exe for the front-end into the Windows startup folder and it boots directly into it, and you can shut the PC down directly from the front-end, never having to go near a mouse, keyboard or icon from start to finish.

Alternatively, its all doable with DOS, if a little more time consuming to set up initially. There are also FE's designed to work with Linux, MacOS etc so its viable with any kind of system really.
Last edited by FatTrucker on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:14 am

I use Zsnes, Mupen64 and Generator-gtk under Linux for my emu pleasure just now, but I much prefer the real deal. That's why I was wondering which machine to bring out - the emu DC or the original MD
Thoughts and prayers.