Emulation vs the real thing!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Emulation vs the real thing!

Post by C=Style » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:28 pm

What do you lovely fellows usually use when gaming? Some people say the soul of the console in question is missing and feels empty when you emulate games for it, but to me it's all just binary and digits, there's no actual videogame soul, I don't think anyway...

I really enjoy emulation, but there is a certain satisfaction of owning the original consoles and games like I do with my Dreamcast and Saturn, but for me I cannot afford to collect for other machines as well so it's a viable option to emulate.

What do you guys use most the real thing or emulation? why do you use it, is it to save room or money?

It would be appreciated to hear your views on emulation as I know some hardcore gamers really do despise it!

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:31 pm

PC - Sadly, I neither have the time nor inclination to pull out a console from the cupboard and spend time setting it all up and then even longer for a tape game to load. I'm a retro head, but not in that sort of way!

Give me PC emulation any day of the week.

pleccy

Post by pleccy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Normal TV consoles like NES, SNES, N64, Amiga are fine with emulator (so long as original controller is used).

However if i play a handheld like Gameboy - it's definintly not the same as using the real thing

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:37 pm

me myself is kinda torn.

the pro of emulation is getting the chance to try games you didn't get to play back in the day. the con is not being able to use the proper controller and some emu's are not full speed.

the pro of the proper console/computer is the nostalgic feeling you get like you did when you first opened the brand spanking new cart/tape/disk/console/micro way back when. the con is setting the bugger up only to find the bloody thing don't work anymore!!

so for me, i like both but its a double sided coin.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

playgeneration

Post by playgeneration » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:59 pm

I much prefer the real thing, I used to just emulate on my Amiga and PC, but found that I didn't play the games long. But with the real thing I can happily slouch on the sofa and play for hours.
Having said that, I'll take emulated Spectrum over the real thing any day, I hate cassettes, and floppy disks for that matter.
I mainly use emulation for testing games out, talking screenshots, that kind of thing.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't understand why there are those who go against emulation. I think it is an excellent way of playing old & undiscovered classics, bringing out from the attic or buying old consoles and games that were once your childhood favourites. Also the chance to download roms & play games you've always wanted to but never could cos you didn't have enough money. In fact, thanks to emulation I have rebought a CD32 and will be bringing out my Amiga500 that I originally bought with the Cartoon Classics bundle. Even when the other consoles I own will be emulated perfectly, I still won't be selling them as yes you can't beat that feeling of playing on the original machine. Hardcore gamers totally despising emulation is gaming snobbery imo.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm

I dont play on my old consoles as much as I would like since the kids have come along, but for me it is setting up the console every time.

Had great fun last weekend introducing my 4 year old son to the Megadrive and Dreamcast.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:57 pm

emus suck and don't look, feel and play like the real thing

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 am

There's nothing like playing "for real"...

Emulation has many advantages, but still... just having the cartridge of a game feels 10 times better than having a simple ROM on your computer...
I also enjoy going to retro shops and look around, trying to find THE game I'm looking for.

Sure, it's way more expensive... but it's worth it! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:59 am

Time for this old chestnut again !

Of course playing on the original system is the best but i dont have the time/space/wife willing for me to have 20 systems and wires in the lounge etc.

Retro gaming is huge again because of emulators, thats why theres a mag out there mainly because of emulation. Its great people then go the other way, eg get back into it because of emulation then go on ebay and get some old computers.

But for me emulation all the way, can try any game i want on practically any system, can complete games much easier also.

Like Sleeper says its a way of finding classics i never tried as a kid on various systems.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:37 am

For PS1, PS2, PS3 and Dreamcast gaming I use the original consoles. As for emulation, I use it for everything else these days as its so much easier to play games on my PC than unpack every console.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 am

I do both.

I use N64, Snes and MD emus on my PC, but I also have my Saturn, DC, PS2 and 360 under the telly. I run MD, Snes and Amiga emus on my Dreamcast too, so I can maximise my gaming.

IMO, emus are not as good as the real thing, but they do enable the playing of hard to acquire titles, in a try-before-you-buy kind of way.

If I had to choose, though? The real thing every time.
Thoughts and prayers.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:19 am

I prefer the real thing to play through all my games, I prefer the original joypads and cartridges to my PC.

Emulation is fantastic though. I had never even heard of Rockman and Forte, never had the chance to play Mega Man 5-7, and really opened the door to play all of the games I never had the money - or opportunity to ever play (Such as the Neo Geo, never knew what the console was called, but always wanted KOF 94 and Samurai Shodown and thanks to emulation that was possible). Not to mention stumbling on various gems never released in this country.

Now though, as I have space for all my consoles, emulation is just very handy for testing (expensive) games before I buy them, especially arcade games. MAME is a godsend for this purpose.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:22 am

I have got thousands of ROMS on my PC, but I found that I wasn't giving the games enough attention when playing via emulation.

I would try a new game, and if I got killed a few times I would end up just picking another game from the list.

Then I got sick and tired of the 360/PS3 and got my DC back out, and bought a Megadrive and N64

To me, emulation doesn't come close to the real thing. For example, even though I know I have got every single Megadrive game ever made on an emulator, it still doesn't compare to finding a copy of the actual game, and playing it on the real console.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 am

The real thing is way better. But I'm also no sworn enemy to emulation. As mentioned before, sometimes that gives the perfect opportunity to try out a game you want to buy but aren't sure if it's worth its money. Or for playing arcade games. I don't have any space in my place for a decent arcade cab. So MAME is really great. Although it's indeed not quite the same as playing it "real".