Games you didn't want for Christmas

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Devin

Games you didn't want for Christmas

Post by Devin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Come on, it's happened to us all. Granny heard you love Video Games in a Christmas long long ago. She went through the effort of going to the shop even with her recent hip replacement, against all the pain and elements this time of year has to throw at her. She sought the advice of a friendly 'young man' at the video game store and bought the hottest interactive entertainment product of the year. The 25th rolls into view. Your feverish sweaty little palms clasps a video game sized parcel decorated with miniature Santa's and Reindeer. Is it Speedball 2? Chaos Engine, Elite II maybe a novelty Lemmings game! No it's sodding Rise of the Robots. Even though you try your best the disappointment is all too clear in your eyes with Granny left heart broken.

So what's your Christmas story?
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:15 am

Xmas day.........some point in the early 90's.........

I really really wanted Splatterhouse 2 for the Megadrive.

My gran knew this is what I wanted, as she had asked me weeks before.

I slowly start to peel back the wrapping paper.....but something is wrong - why is the box so colourful???

I rip off the rest of the paper and there in my hand is TAZ-MANIA.

"I got you this one with the nicer box instead" she says to me. "It looked nicer than that dark Splash House one"

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:35 am

Never had one of those actually. But one time it came close, but in the end it had a very good ending.
For a long time I really wanted a Megadrive. As I still played with my C64 at home I was drooling over the likes of Golden Axe or Sonic at the retailers. So christmas arrived and I really hoped, that I'd be lucky this time. And there it was, one really big box. About the size of a console. Trembling and about to shout like the N64-kid ( :lol: ) I unwrapped it. Only to find a SNES. At first I was shocked but after I played a round of Super Probector and Joe and Mac in coop with my dad, I realized that it wasn't that bad.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 am

That story would make the greatest SNES commercial ever :D

Emperor Fossil

Re: Games you didn't want for Christmas

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:09 am

Devin wrote:...with Granny left heart broken.
Granny should have done her frikkin research. Bad Granny!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 am

GovanGer wrote:Xmas day.........some point in the early 90's.........

I really really wanted Splatterhouse 2 for the Megadrive.

My gran knew this is what I wanted, as she had asked me weeks before.

I slowly start to peel back the wrapping paper.....but something is wrong - why is the box so colourful???

I rip off the rest of the paper and there in my hand is TAZ-MANIA.

"I got you this one with the nicer box instead" she says to me. "It looked nicer than that dark Splash House one"
Ouch, that must have put a dent in your Christmas!

I have always been quite lucky with Christmas games. Its always a case that my mum always asked me which one I really wanted and I got to pick it out.

On that case I guess choosing Fantastic 4 for the Playstation was my fault and not my parents. It was either that or Capcoms Marvel Super Heroes, I fixed that mistake by getting MSH myself for Christmas break (pretty obvious which of the 2 got all the playtime).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:48 am

never got video games from my gran so i am ok lol. i got sonic 2 from my mum in the 90's i got want i wanted :) poor GovanGer :cry:

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:11 am

Purple censored Turtles on the C64.

I'd given my parents a list of games I'd really like and I ended up with this. I was very dissapointed. However it turned out to be a joke as they had hidden various games around the house for me to find. Bless them!

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 am

I got knitted jumpers from my granny.

I also wanted a MD, and ended up at Christmas with a SNES with the Super Scope + game. What a load of crap that was! SNES was good though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:05 am

My mum's old boyfriend got me a space type game for the BBC one year, would have been great if I actually owned a BBC, but it's the thought that counts, as she kept telling me.
Splink!

Bub&Bob

Re: Games you didn't want for Christmas

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:15 am

Devin wrote:Come on, it's happened to us all. Granny heard you love Video Games in a Christmas.......
.......and ironically bought me Bionic Granny. I got my revenge on boxing day though by beating her to death. She didn't make that mistake again.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:18 am

that'll teach her :lol:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:40 pm

I can't think of a time actually... my parents have always been pretty good with game requests at Christmas. As I've mentioned elsewhere before, they even upgraded the SMS I was planning on getting to a Mega Drive with some intervention from my brother. The Cristmas where I asked for Mega Bomberman was filled without problem and the holiday period where I got my BBC, my dad also managed to get a chock-full of games with the help of his kids from school.

I was surprised last year even as my Dad bought me NFS:Carbon for the Wii. Ok, not the greatest game ever, but a) I hadn't asked for any games at all and b) although I'm an avid follower of the NFS series (up until recently), I hadn't got Carbon for the PC yet, as I would normally. So, I was happy with that.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Xmas in 1990 and Creatures was the game to get. I received a game from a mate (well, his parents really but's lets play along) and slowly opened it up from the top and saw the Thalamus logo. Excited, I slowly open more and more of it up to build the tension to reveal..

Wait for it..

SUMMER CAMP! :( :evil:

Did my face drop when I saw that! :lol:

To be fair, it is a good (if hard) platformer and did make a good present, just not the one I was expecting.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:39 pm

I can't really remember getting games I never asked for and hated...

About 5 years ago, I asked for Rocky on Gamecube, and got Knockout King 2002 instead, because some stupid guy at the Game store told my mum it was better than Rocky! (right! :roll: )
But I liked the game, and got Rocky later on...

I remember a funny thing. I was probably 6 or 7, and I owned a NES at the time. And there was a gift, the size of a NES game, which was from my mum to my dad. It was Tetris (which of course I had never heard of before), but since it was a NES, and my parents weren't supposed to play, I kept saying "you're wrong, the game is for ME!"... So they let me try it, and after a few minutes (I don't think I really understood what I was supposed to do, I mean come on, there was no Mario in there!!!) I finally gave it back to my dad and said "OK, I'll give it to you..." :lol:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com