What is your console of choice?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:01 am

I can't remember the lightgun section, I don't think I played that or the driving part much (not having a lightgun might have had something to do with it)

I am on the lookout for a Saturn at the moment, I will pick this game up if/when I get one.

Alternatively, if anyone has a Saturn they are wanting rid of, I will swap you for a PS2 that I don't use :D

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:12 am

Im pretty sure Cash converters in Stevenage had one for £15 last time I looked, no games with it though.

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:14 am

I've just moved from Glasgow to Ayrshire, and none of the Gamestations I've checked out in Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Ayr, etc do retro stuff anymore, apart from the odd sticky, smelly N64 controller (complete with broken analogue stick)

The window displays were full of Saturns a few months ago, and now I want to buy one there's none there.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 am

David wrote:I can't remember the lightgun section, I don't think I played that or the driving part much (not having a lightgun might have had something to do with it)

I am on the lookout for a Saturn at the moment, I will pick this game up if/when I get one.

Alternatively, if anyone has a Saturn they are wanting rid of, I will swap you for a PS2 that I don't use :D
Or you could save yourself a disappointment, keep the PS2 and buy the PS1 version of the game ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
David wrote:I can't remember the lightgun section, I don't think I played that or the driving part much (not having a lightgun might have had something to do with it)

Or you could save yourself a disappointment, keep the PS2 and buy the PS1 version of the game ;)
I'm sorry? Die Hard Trilogy on the Saturn was every bit as good as it's Playstation counterpart. In fact I prefered the Sat version as the joypad is better. I really hated the PS horrible excuse for a D-Pad, what a sorry sight that was.
Last edited by C=Style on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:29 am

I don't play the PS2, and I really want a saturn again.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:33 am

While you're at it you could also pick up the lightgun and copies of Virtua Cop 1/2 as they are still superb to play (HOTD in particular but it fetches a heft price nowadays). Way better than that rip off Time Crisis pap hahaha.

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:36 am

Yeah there are a good few Saturn games I want.

Will probably end up resorting to ebay for one.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:28 pm

I think some saturn lovers really do have rose tinted glasses , there are some outstanding games on that machine , but to continuously bash the ps1 in comparison to it , isn't fair.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:35 pm

C=Style wrote: The Saturn, when it was programmed correctly outperformed the PSX. I think you are forgetting it died an early death over here and didn't get a chance to compete with the later PSX titles.
Because it was rubbish, do you really belive that it would have died so early on if it was a better machine.?
It had a headstart and it already had a fan base, even after Sega ripped off the public with rubbish like the MCD and 32X people still bought Saturns, only to find they had been sold a pile of cack yet again. I would even go as far as saying that the Saturn killed off Segas home console division and nearly ended Sega all together, because after the Saturn people just didn't trust Sega any more and although the DC was one of the best machines ever made no-one wanted to to take another chance on Sega..
C=style wrote: As for Tomb Raider, this was originally a Saturn game anyway, and there are very little difference s between the psx version. So I don't know what your talking about. Obviously you haven't played both.
You dumb numpty, you complety missed my point. :lol: Of course Tombraider was out on the Saturn first, without the Playstation version Tombraider would have never even got one follow up game, let alone become a global franchise, it sucked on the Saturn, I know because I STILL own my copy on both my Saturn and my Playstation.
C=style wrote: As for Alien Trilogy, I'm afraid atmosphere doesn't = gameplay. Have you actually played Duke 3D on Saturn? No, thought not!
Oh dear... Yes I have played the Saturn version of Duke, again I still have my copy, boxed with manual (in fact I own A LOT of Saturn stuff, all boxed and complete, what do you have in your collection?) and the game is a very poor Doom clone made to make little boys laugh.. I found it funny at the time I must admit but it is far from a good game...

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:54 pm

JPN ver. PS2.

Without doubt has the biggest collection of quality arcade ports spanning the last 20 years. 8)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
C=Style wrote: The Saturn, when it was programmed correctly outperformed the PSX. I think you are forgetting it died an early death over here and didn't get a chance to compete with the later PSX titles.
Because it was rubbish, do you really belive that it would have died so early on if it was a better machine.?
It had a headstart and it already had a fan base, even after Sega ripped off the public with rubbish like the MCD and 32X people still bought Saturns, only to find they had been sold a pile of cack yet again. I would even go as far as saying that the Saturn killed off Segas home console division and nearly ended Sega all together, because after the Saturn people just didn't trust Sega any more and although the DC was one of the best machines ever made no-one wanted to to take another chance on Sega..
C=style wrote: As for Tomb Raider, this was originally a Saturn game anyway, and there are very little difference s between the psx version. So I don't know what your talking about. Obviously you haven't played both.
You dumb numpty, you complety missed my point. :lol: Of course Tombraider was out on the Saturn first, without the Playstation version Tombraider would have never even got one follow up game, let alone become a global franchise, it sucked on the Saturn, I know because I STILL own my copy on both my Saturn and my Playstation.
C=style wrote: As for Alien Trilogy, I'm afraid atmosphere doesn't = gameplay. Have you actually played Duke 3D on Saturn? No, thought not!
Oh dear... Yes I have played the Saturn version of Duke, again I still have my copy, boxed with manual (in fact I own A LOT of Saturn stuff, all boxed and complete, what do you have in your collection?) and the game is a very poor Doom clone made to make little boys laugh.. I found it funny at the time I must admit but it is far from a good game...
I do agree with what you are saying that Sega shot themselves in the foot time and time again, but it was the public at fault for not choosing the Saturn. All the commercial teenybopper gamesplaying public wanted at that point in time was 3D games. Forget gameplay, they just wanted outstanding gfx and that is what sold machines, still does! Sony made sure they catered for this demographic, where as Sega were focusing on outstanding gameplay.

It was a shame what happened, but there that's people for you (no taste). But the Saturn, had it of had the support from 3rd party devs, along with Sega own divisions would have allowed fro a stunning library, there's not so much the PSX can so taht the Saturn can't. Take a good , long hard look at Pazer Dragoon Saga. A truely epic adventure game rivialing that of FF7, big games were a real possibility on the Saturn, a shame it was never a reality in the West.

I don't understand you Tomb Raider comments, where exactly is the psx version so superior, they run at the same framerate and only minor differences in the gfx overall, what are you talking about man? The only reason it never got a follow up on the Saturn was because Sony bought out the series. Muppet.

Duke was more than about making 'little boys laugh' (wtf?), have you had a sense of humour bypass or something? Duke has comical touches yes, but the gameplay is quite serious and way more than a poor Doom clone. The Saturn soundtrack for it was also the best there was for any Duke game ever.

Can you also not remember death Tank Zwei? you did need actual friends for that one though so it may have passed you by. It was however an incredibly fiendish and entertaining multiplayer game along the lines of worms, coded exclusively for the Saturn. :lol:

By the way I've not got rose tinted glasses as I still play my Saturn quite regularly, but I'm not 'continuously bashing the ps1' as you put it sirclive1, I think you will find it's the other people making snidey untrue remarks about the Saturn in this thread.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:26 pm

C=Style wrote: I do agree with what you are saying that Sega shot themselves in the foot time and time again, but it was the public at fault for not choosing the Saturn. .
:lol: This is the funniest thing you have said so far and I should have expected such a response.

It is also the reason I am going to leave this debate right here, there is no point in trying after that, made me laugh though so I thank you :lol:

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:37 pm

What is your console of choice: PSP at the moment, I've got six of the buggers (don't ask).

I'm about to get my first DS tomorrow though. That'll be interesting....

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:25 pm

The Master wrote:What is your console of choice: PSP at the moment, I've got six of the buggers
Why have you got six of the buggers?
The Master wrote:(don't ask).
Oops...!