What is your console of choice?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:29 pm

It's funny, but as a 30-something gamer, I would never have called an 8-bit a console, they came after the 8-bits, but as other people here have included the 8-bits then my answer is simple -

THE AMSTRAD CPC 464 !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Duke Nukem 3D on Saturn, it didn't have a fighter as complex and epic as Virtua Fighter 2, it didn't have a racer as playable as Sega Rally, it didn't have an innovative game like NiGHTS, and this is just the PAL releases I'm talking.
I recall playing Duke Nukem on PS1. Preferred Alien Trilogy. Never been a fan of Duke's since he went 3D and its comedy stylings didn't amuse me. I wanted something darker after years of old skool gaming.

I much prefer Tekken to Virtua Fighter. That's a series I've never taken to, though I do own a couple.

Ridge Racer beats Sega Rally every time in my book, at least with home releases (the arcade cab was decent, more down to the feel of that wheel than anything).

I'd give you Nights, but as a linear 2.5D game I'd much rather play Pandemonium.

Barring Duke that was available on both systems, you've quoted several reasons why I bought a PS1 instead of a Saturn.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:30 pm

Megadrive.

Almost all of my fondest gaming memories are tied to Sega's 16 bit box of tricks.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Duke Nukem 3D on Saturn, it didn't have a fighter as complex and epic as Virtua Fighter 2, it didn't have a racer as playable as Sega Rally, it didn't have an innovative game like NiGHTS, and this is just the PAL releases I'm talking.
I recall playing Duke Nukem on PS1. Preferred Alien Trilogy. Never been a fan of Duke's since he went 3D and its comedy stylings didn't amuse me. I wanted something darker after years of old skool gaming.

I much prefer Tekken to Virtua Fighter. That's a series I've never taken to, though I do own a couple.

Ridge Racer beats Sega Rally every time in my book, at least with home releases (the arcade cab was decent, more down to the feel of that wheel than anything).

I'd give you Nights, but as a linear 2.5D game I'd much rather play Pandemonium.

Barring Duke that was available on both systems, you've quoted several reasons why I bought a PS1 instead of a Saturn.
Duke may have been available on both systems (like pandemonium) but the Saturn version was so much better than the lame PS1 version, you can't even compare them. If you didn't like Duke 3D you were in the minority, there's not many people who would rate Alien Trilogy over Duke I have to say, sometimes I get the impression you disagree for the sake of it! Also your hatred for the Saturn is transparent, why do you hate this console so much?

Ridge racer was an ok game, but there wasn't the gameplay that Rally had and 4 perfectly crafted tracks which were heaven. You could drive around them forever without getting bored if you mastered the game, whereas Ridge Racer had only that 1 boring tarmac track.

Daytona USA was really the game that was in direct competition with RR at the time, and even that (although it looks terrible) had the superior gameplay in my honest opinion. But there we could go round in circles all day quoting and comparing different games but at the end of the day all it comes down to is a matter of taste.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:41 pm

Not disagreeing for the sake of it.

I genuinely like Alien Trilogy. It has buckets of atmosphere, I think its a great game.

Ridge Racer is a game I still play today. Its a favourite and I adore it. My most played PS1 game by far. Daytona didn't do it for me. not even in the arcade.

I don't hate Saturn, I just don't think it compares well to PS1, either technically or with its back catalogue. There's a few decent games, but its slim pickings comparatively speaking.

I guess we're just opposites in lots of ways. C'est la vie.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:08 pm

The5thAxis wrote:It's funny, but as a 30-something gamer, I would never have called an 8-bit a console, they came after the 8-bits
They did what now?

Consoles predate the popular 8-bit computers by some distance.

Even the NES predates your CPC.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Dudley wrote:
The5thAxis wrote:It's funny, but as a 30-something gamer, I would never have called an 8-bit a console, they came after the 8-bits
They did what now?

Yes I see what you are saying, but me and my mates, as schoolkids, would refer to the Atari 2600 as 'the Atari' or the Binatone system as 'The Binatone', never adding the 'console' suffix.

I think using the word 'console' to describe a gaming platform only really entered popular culture towards the late eighties with the Master System etc. It was in use before that of course, but maybe not as widely used as in later years.

Cannibal Bob

Post by Cannibal Bob » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:04 pm

C=Style wrote:
sscott wrote:
SirClive wrote: The dreamcast had a 56k modem and was released before internet gaming took off, so is not a good comparison. The PS2 may have been a better comparison but it is not the fact that is can play online games it is HOW it does it.
Actually had a 33k modem! Used to play 4 player Quake III on it, you'd fire the rocket launcher and 20 secs later there was an explosion - still fun though.
Absolutely man, it was quite amazing what the DC could do with that little 33k modem, I also had my greatest online experience which will never EVER be bettered with Phantasy Star Online. That game had the nicest players you could ever hope for, until it was ruined by all the cheating of course. Revolutionary times in gaming, and the DC was the blueprint for all online consoles today.
fredghostmaster wrote:Saturn for me. It says a lot about the general public that the PS1 trounced it sales wise. What were you all thinking?
Agreed. They all wanted wipEout with that flashy soundtrack, that's what they wanted, never mind the gameplay.

What makes matters worse is the general public had a good chance to redeem themselves with the Dreamcast, which already had a shithot catalogue of games, but oooooh no, everyone went out and bought a PS2 to play SSX and Smugglers Run!.... idiots!
Way to paint with a wide brush. I have never owned any of the games you mentioned, and I believe the range of quality games for the PSX and PS2 is huge without the need to import.

At least with me, Sega shot themselves in the foot. They released the Mega-CD, then didn't support it, they released the 32X, then didn't support it. I bought both of those, so by the time the Saturn came along I just didn't trust Sega anymore, so I switched to Sony, and to this day I don't regret that decision since in my opinion the Playstation and PS2 have played host to some of the greatest games in various genres.

So don't declare me an idiot for my console of choice. :evil:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:58 am

The5thAxis wrote:
Dudley wrote:
They did what now?

Yes I see what you are saying, but me and my mates, as schoolkids, would refer to the Atari 2600 as 'the Atari' or the Binatone system as 'The Binatone', never adding the 'console' suffix.

I think using the word 'console' to describe a gaming platform only really entered popular culture towards the late eighties with the Master System etc. It was in use before that of course, but maybe not as widely
used as in later years.
Just because Karl Benz called his invention the "Horseless Carriage" doesn't mean he hadn't just invented the car.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 am

C=Style wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote: C64 - Vice
SNES - Snes9x
NES - NesterJ

How is the C64 emulation on PSP then, is it all nice and smooth? When I used Vice on the GP2x it was nice and everything but full of bugs, un-user friendly and slightly choppy framerates on some games.
Really good (sound is sometime off) and much better than C64 emu on GP2X
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:34 am

My console of choice...

I find it hard to choose between two really. First off, it has to be my PS3 for its greater and greater catalogue of games and of course for the ability to play me dozens of PS2 and PSX games.

Secondly, if it were just a retro-console, it would be my trusty Sega Dreamcast, my favourite console of all-time (though I'm sure the PS3 is going to be my favourite console ever the way the games are getting better and better).

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:42 am

C=Style wrote:
Duke may have been available on both systems (like pandemonium) but the Saturn version was so much better than the lame PS1 version, you can't even compare them. If you didn't like Duke 3D you were in the minority, there's not many people who would rate Alien Trilogy over Duke I have to say, sometimes I get the impression you disagree for the sake of it! Also your hatred for the Saturn is transparent, why do you hate this console so much?
Saturn fans always make me laugh... :lol:
The machine was awful, the games ran half as well and looked half as good when compaired to the Playstation versions.
Take Tomb Raider for example, run like a dog on the Saturn, no one wanted it and it ended up in the bargin bins after a few short weeks. The Playstation version however went on to become the stuff of legends.
Sega rally is really really poor when compaired to Ridge Racer, it's a blocky, unfair, frustrating pile of uglyness that ONLY Saturn owners prefer over every other racing game out there because the Sega Mags at the time told you all it was great.
Duke Nuke 'em over Alien Trilogy..? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again sega fanboy stuff, AT was full of atmosphere and even had a few jumpy moments, it really did feel like an Alien spin off where as Duke Nuke 'em was funny all the time you could shoot stripers and flush the toilet.

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:40 am

As my old mucker dj would say,on the sega rally comment:

RRRIIGGHHTTT OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Unfair,frustrating,i think you've said that about other things that proved a bit difficult for only you! :wink:

i take it you just gave up,when it came to bras:P

Console of choice,erm, it's got to be the cdx,for the few worth while disc games,and all the great games on cartridge.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:27 am

SirClive wrote:
GarryG wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Because your 360 will be dead by then, having RRODed ;)
And will 'live arcade' and any on-line games still be going in 5 years?
If some still are, how about in ten?

Remember the Dreamcast had on-line gaming when and after it first was released!
The dreamcast had a 56k modem and was released before internet gaming took off, so is not a good comparison. The PS2 may have been a better comparison but it is not the fact that is can play online games it is HOW it does it.
I think you missed my point.

Which is: Would you still say that about the 360 in 5 or 10 years if the on-line stuff isn't there anymore?

And I'm not 360 bashing, ti's a good machine, but the new machines are very on-line orientated.
I can't help thinking the longevity is largely tied in with the availability of the on-line games.
So what happens to these on-line services when the next generation of consoles start to come out in around 3 to 5 years time?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:23 am

I only play 1 game online on my 360 ever and I stick to that.

I do expect that the scoreboards and stuff will probably still be there in 5 years and even if not then I'm only in the same position as every other console ever.