help! Need a Joystick for MAME and RAINE! (PC)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pleccy

help! Need a Joystick for MAME and RAINE! (PC)

Post by pleccy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 am

Hi,

I really enjoy playing MAME and RAINE games, so I'm gonna build a second PC in my lounge specifically for this - The main problem I'm having is choosing a Joystick (to give it more of an arcade feel.) I have been considering this: the Gamester Arcade stick http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/357/357646p1.html

Has anybody used one? Or can you recommend another joystick that gives an authentic feel. (The x-arcade looks awesome but is too expensive).

Thanks

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:56 am

I've got one of those, I'm sure there are better sticks out there but I don't have any problems with it and you can pick them up pretty cheap.
Splink!

eightbit79

Post by eightbit79 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:00 am

Got one of those for the PS2, the buttons are a little 'squishy' for lack of a better word, but still good all round. Picked it up for £2 when a local shop was closing down!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:43 am

Those Gamesters are really common used - see them all the time in GameStation.

X-Arcades can be picked up cheaper, especially if you don't mind a little DIY. They sell the stick/button set for under £25 and with a little boxbuilding (and depending on the connection you want) a little wiring knowledge its half the price of the pre built unit.

If you want an off the shelf unit that isn't stupidly expensive for singleplayer use, have a look at the various Hori manufactured sticks.
Also consider that adapters for PS1/2/GC/X-Box to PC are dirt cheap, so you can often pick up those sticks for bargain prices. I use a PS1 mini arcade stick 50/50 with my DIY X-Arcade.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:11 pm

I've had the X-Arcade stick for years and I still swear by it. Its well built, rugged and looks great. Granted its not the cheapest around, its well worth the money. Plus with a little bit of sanding down, it fits snuggly into an arcade cab.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:44 am

If your going to the effort of building a dedicated PC then I'd get a nice dedictaed stick. X-arcade is good, but you can always build a cheaper one yourself.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:09 am

I been using a logic 3's Tri-format arcade stick (PC, X-BOX & PS2), it have a nice feel & response to it.
You can pick it up for about £10 to £20.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:48 am

oli_lar wrote:If your going to the effort of building a dedicated PC then I'd get a nice dedictaed stick. X-arcade is good, but you can always build a cheaper one yourself.
Yeah I second that. What's the point in going to all that trouble just to ruin it with a cheapy stick like the one above?

Go for a Hori Real arcade Pro or an X-arcade.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 am

Kaede wrote:
oli_lar wrote:If your going to the effort of building a dedicated PC then I'd get a nice dedictaed stick. X-arcade is good, but you can always build a cheaper one yourself.
Yeah I second that. What's the point in going to all that trouble just to ruin it with a cheapy stick like the one above?

You are missing the point here as you didn't read the original letter!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:31 am

It is a perfectly decent stick although when I used mine on my pc (with xbox adaptor) it would not shut down the pc !!!!

I had to physically unplug it then shut down the pc.

Nice that you can change the handle as well.......

I like the more spherical one

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:53 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:It is a perfectly decent stick although when I used mine on my pc (with xbox adaptor) it would not shut down the pc !!!!

Having played Track & Field on mame with mine I did have a couple of occasions where the handle came off, which isn't much cop in the middle of the 100m :D I've not noticed the problem with shutting my pc down though, was that under XP?
Splink!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:08 pm

resident paul wrote:
Kaede wrote:

Why? He'd get a lot more out of it with a decent stick and I'm sure he can spare a bit of cash for a nice stick if hes got the dosh for a second PC!

Besides, a self built stick would cost about £30-40 and have real arcade components. The Hori sticks only about £40 and you can get an Xarcade stick for about £60 these days.

A proper stick makes a hell of a lot of difference.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:46 pm

oli_lar wrote:
resident paul wrote:
Kaede wrote: Yeah I second that. What's the point in going to all that trouble just to ruin it with a cheapy stick like the one above?

Why? He'd get a lot more out of it with a decent stick and I'm sure he can spare a bit of cash for a nice stick if hes got the dosh for a second PC!

Besides, a self built stick would cost about £30-40 and have real arcade components. The Hori sticks only about £40 and you can get an Xarcade stick for about £60 these days.

A proper stick makes a hell of a lot of difference.
Might be the same as me and have a load of pc parts spare to make a decent little mamey pc and no spare cash......people should remember that not everyone has a load of cash to spend on gaming (especially in december) or it might just be that he likes to do the job with a frugal attitude :wink:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:49 pm

felgekarp wrote:
BennyTheGreek wrote:It is a perfectly decent stick although when I used mine on my pc (with xbox adaptor) it would not shut down the pc !!!!

Having played Track & Field on mame with mine I did have a couple of occasions where the handle came off, which isn't much cop in the middle of the 100m :D I've not noticed the problem with shutting my pc down though, was that under XP?
Yes it was xp...it might be cos I did not have service pack 2 installed at the time.....I havent tried it since.

stupid microsoft and their inability to write an operating sytem for people who want to use an xbox controller on their versions of windows.... :wink: