Underrated Platformers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 am

GarryG wrote:
GovanGer wrote:Psycho Fox (MS)
I have to second that one!

Possibly one of if not the best MS platformer, including SONIC!
I'd have to agree as well. Finally played it through this week, and I was impressed. wondeful graphics, fast and addictive gameplay and enough challenge to keep me entertained throughout the duration.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Cannibal Bob

Post by Cannibal Bob » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:06 am

I know it's not retro, but I think I-Ninja is underated.

It was criticised for being to generic and not bringing anything new to the party, but I feel that was a bit unfair since what it did do, it did really well.

Sometimes a game that might not be innovative but gets the basics right can be just as fun as any other.

In my opinion. :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:18 am

Turbo the Tortoise on the Speccy is a game i love. Never knew of this game first time round, think i had left the Speccy scene by then. Great Mario Land style platform game, very playable with some hidden bits. Great game

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:31 am

All for C64:

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Human Race
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am

Psycho fox and shiny entertainments earthworm jim,to my reckoning, were/have always been classed as great and very well known titles,most people who had either a sms ,mega drive or snes, knew about those two unique little belters !

So i wouldn't class them as ever being "underrated" .

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Compared to SONIC Psycho fox is practically unknown, never mind underrated!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm

My school friends at the time thought I was mad for loving Spiky Harold on the Speccy at the time.

I remember it being quite frustrating but it's charm kind of hooked me.

Maybe Spiky Harold was a trojan horse sent by Sega way before Sonic's arrival to subliminally convert us to all things hedgehog :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 am

McDonald Land or "MC Kids" as it's also known is a fantastic little platformer. The controls are simple, the game flows along like something created by Shigeru Miyamoto and the challenge is just enough to keep you going without tearing your hair out. I had the Amiga version years ago, but the ol' 500 packed it in and I've since acquired an NTSC copy of the NES version. Although graphically and audibly inferior, the game is still in tact but the Amiga version really shines.
真・豪鬼

Mr L

Post by Mr L » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:16 am

Only just sat down and read this thread through - some great games mentioned.

I did think I was going mad though as I loved Rolo to the Rescue but not one of my friends can remember it. This has just made me feel sane and confirmed it did exist!

CharlieWolf

Post by CharlieWolf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:52 am

ShadowMan wrote:Tombi (Playstation)
This game brings back some frustrating memories. I remember playing a demo of this game with a friend and being impressed enough to want to buy the full game when it emerged. Lo and behold when it was suppposed to have come out, I couldn't find it anywhere :(

A game I always liked was Konami's Animaniacs game for SNES, and that almost gets universally trashed. It could be down to plain old nostalgia, even though I played the game again recently and I feel it still plays well. It's not the best game of its type by any means, but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. Another game I randomly bought was Lady Sia for the GBA, which is fun little action platformer that seemed to find its way into the bargian bins pretty quickly. I'm not sure what its reviews were like, but I dig it and like the way it kept me coming back to levels to try and unlock the bonus stages.
I would also say Ristar was an underappreciated game, but that's thankfully now being given a chance to shine (no pun intended) as it seems to now appear when Sega needs an extra game for a compilation.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:57 am

I think the first 'Cool Spot' game was a bit overlooked as well.

Although I wasn't too keen on the follow up games.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:53 pm

Quackshot starring Donald Duck was absolutely brilliant. As was the one with Mickey and Donald, Land of Illusion was the name of it I think.

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Rolo
dynamite heady great game i think
Rocket Knight
Mr Nutz

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:28 am

Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonous (PS2)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:41 am

Vectorman on Megadrive doesn't get enough love, IMO.

It should have been in the recent run 'n' gun list, too.

Awesome visuals and very tight play make it a winner in my book.
Thoughts and prayers.