Atari st??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:39 pm

That MicroSTation thing is HUGE - especially just for a couple of floppy drives! Whats the black PSU for?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 pm

blakespot wrote:I recomment the base Atari 520ST. I went with one recently.

More pix:
http://pix.blakespot.com/view/computers/atari_520ST/

Associated article:
http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000109.php

Good times!

blakespot
Time Bandit played with a Konix Speedking? That was my set-up for that game as well.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Barkie

Post by Barkie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:46 am

I had a STE which was a great little machine, sold it around 93 for a snes got 400 quid for it :D

Only game i remember it couldn't play was defender of the crown which upset me at the time.

loads of great games for the st try them on Steem before you buy any.

Ste enhanced games list here http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_main.php

I would also get the extension for the mouse/joystick ports, easier to remove mouse and plug joystick in, the ports used to break a lot on the st.
Last edited by Barkie on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:49 am

I never owned an Atari ST, or an Amiga for that matter.

I do remember though the the school next to ours had a youth club and they had an Atari ST with the PREDATOR game, and I thought it looked amazing at the time.

Our school eventually opened a youth club and someone supplied a dodgy old Amiga that only worked when it felt like it, and I remember playing Back to The Future 2, and some dodgy Saint & Greavsie Soccer Quiz.

Good times :D

bolda

Post by bolda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 am

I've still got my original 520STe from around '92, still going strong. I upgraded to 1MB RAM (when "ST Review" magazine started up and did a special offer 1MB upgrade for £15 in issue 1!)

For game playing, there isn't much need to go beyond 1MB RAM, it's mainly professional apps that require 4MB - unless as mentioned you want to go down the RAM disk route, which can be a bit hit-and-miss for games playing. In fact, certain games won't work on ST's with more than 1MB of RAM, but there is software available which tricks a 4MB ST into thinking it is a 1MB model.

I subsequently picked up a couple more STs with a hi-res monitor and 125MB SCSI hard drive in an eBay lot (about £40, local collection!)... one of the ST's was an early ST with single-sided floppy. The other was a 1040STe but the top half of both cases had been replaced at some point so they were both badged as 520STFM - something else to be wary of when buying off eBay!

"I'm told" there are plenty of FTP sites were you can download disk images of all the main cracking groups from back in the day. There are a few ways of getting these disk images from PC onto ST floppy disks - I wrote a short guide and can supply the necessary software if you need them. You'll need a 3.5" floppy drive on your PC though.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:58 am

Barkie wrote:I would also get the extension for the mouse/joystick ports, easier to remove mouse and plug joystick in, the ports used to break a lot on the st.
Oh yeah, very good point; the ports are incredibly inconvenient and, despite being relatively robust, they do break more frequently for that positioning so extenders are well worth having.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:26 am

bolda wrote:hi-res monitor
Forgot about that. Colour monitor for the ST is great for gaming, very sharp, far better than TV. Managed to wangle one off a mate. Colour only does low and medium res though. For high res you need the mono monitor. Doesn't affect much in the way of games but certain apps are better in mono or mono only. There are some software tricks that can emulate high res on the medium res screen though. Not sure if I still have my old mono one, I think I swapped it for colour (or vice versa).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:45 am

oli_lar wrote:That MicroSTation thing is HUGE - especially just for a couple of floppy drives! Whats the black PSU for?
The MicroMate STation is big, but I love it. It's what I had my original ST setup in back in 1987. Ah, memories.

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:22 am

Don't even bother with RF leads on the Atari - the picture quality is awful! Get yourself an atari monitor...or...

Techie Alison at http://www.logicsays.com/ is a really helpful person. Ask her nicely and she'll make you an RGB scart lead for a couple of quid. She also makes VGA leads so you can use Hi Res mono mode on a standard PC monitor. :)

Not only that, but her PeST PS2 mouse adapter is the best on the market (you can now use optical mice on your Atari!) and she's currently working on WeST - a compact flash card reader that will make data transfer from the PC hell of a lot easier...eta Summer 2008!

Check out http://www.dbug-automation.co.uk/ for some Xmas goodies for your atari and falcon hard disks :) (this is where that extra memory will come in handy...)
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

bolda

Post by bolda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Forgot about that. Colour monitor for the ST is great for gaming, very sharp, far better than TV. Managed to wangle one off a mate. Colour only does low and medium res though. For high res you need the mono monitor. Doesn't affect much in the way of games but certain apps are better in mono or mono only. There are some software tricks that can emulate high res on the medium res screen though. Not sure if I still have my old mono one, I think I swapped it for colour (or vice versa).
The hi-res monitor spends most of it's time in the loft... it was part of the eBay bundle I got and I was only really after the hard drive - the monitor, 2 other STs and a ton of software was just a bonus! There were a few professional packages in the bundle (Cubase and a DTP package spring to mind) so the guy who was selling it obviously had more use for the monitor than me!

As Heavy Stylus says, the low/medium resolution output is RGB on the monitor socket so it's quite easy to make up a SCART lead for a nice, clear picture (and stereo sound on the STe) The main difficulty is sourcing the 13-pin DIN plug for the ST end (I "borrowed" one from an old electronics cupboard at work!)

As for joystick extension leads, yes, they are a must. Joystick 2 and the mouse share the same port (underneath the keyboard!) so it's fiddley if you want to plug in a second joystick for a 2-player sesh. Again, joystick extensions are easy to make yourself if you can't find any for sale - you can even do this with some 9-core ribbon cable and a couple of snap-on 9-pin d-type connectors... no soldering required!
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage