Thinking of Getting a Saturn

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GovanGer

Thinking of Getting a Saturn

Post by GovanGer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:34 am

Had one back when they were out originally, and thinking of picking up another one.

Since I couldn't afford a lot of games back then, and they are now a couple of quid each, what games do people recommend?

Is it worth getting, or do you think it is a vastly overrated console?

I liked it more that the Playstation at the time.

SirClive

Re: Thinking of Getting a Saturn

Post by SirClive » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:36 am

GovanGer wrote: it is a vastly overrated console?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:00 am

A great console with some classic PAL releases.

Amazing console to import on too for all those great SNK, Street Fighter, and Shooter games

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:03 am

The Saturn's a fantastic system for 2D games, on a par with the NEOGEO as the finest 2D system of all time in fact. For 3D stuff it's not so hot, (polygon graphic capabilities were added as an afterthought to compete with the PS1) but there's still some lovely stuff like the Panzer Dragoon Games (including the incredible Panzer Dragoon Saga if you are feeling rich!).

If you do get one it can get expensive though as most of the best games (and there are dozens and dozens) have achieved collector's status, so it won't be cheap to complete your library. I'd recommend grabbing a switched one to play Japanese imports though as the price of many excellent games has come down a bit recently compared to the now scarcer PAL versions of some titles.

In short get a Saturn if you want to:

Play arcade perfect versions of 2D classics such as Dungeons & Dragons, the Capcom VS fighters, Bubble Symphony Elevator Action Returns etc in beautiful vivid RGB (the Saturn's video output is sharper and of a higher quality than the Dreamcast or Playstation hardware, don't ask me why, something to do with a highter quality video adapter.)

Brilliant shooters like Battle Garegga, Soukyugrentai, Radiant Silvergun and many more (The Saturn's definitely one of the top platfroms for shooters)

Pick up cheap PAL games like Darius Gaiden, Galactic attack (aka Rayforce), Street fighter Alpha 2.

Play Treasure's Guardian Heroes ,The Panzer Dragoon games, or Dragon Force.

Don't get one if you want to play 3D games.. stick to Sony hardware :)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:54 am

Had one for a few years but only played on it once, recently picked up an action replay cart for it and got a 50/60hz switch put on it and now I've started buying some of those crazy shoot em ups for it, plenty of decent beat em ups for it as well. I think if you want some of the best games for it though they are going to have to be import ones.
Splink!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:06 am

Sega Rally is good and very cheap
HotD with Light guns is F**king great
Sega Ages- Outrun, After Burner and Space Harrier all in one*
Virtua Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha 1&2
Sonic Jam
Die Hard Arcade
Daytona USA
Dracula X - This will require an Import cart
Doom 1&2
Quake
Alien Trilogy
Duke Nukem 3D
Virtual on

That ought to keep you going

*Blonde not included

yethboth

Re: Thinking of Getting a Saturn

Post by yethboth » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:21 am

GovanGer wrote:Had one back when they were out originally, and thinking of picking up another one.

Since I couldn't afford a lot of games back then, and they are now a couple of quid each, what games do people recommend?

Is it worth getting, or do you think it is a vastly overrated console?

I liked it more that the Playstation at the time.

I highly recommend the Sega Saturn. Also get Guardian Heroes and Saturn Bomberman along with it if you can, these two games are highly recommended for the Sega Saturn. :D

The Sega Saturn is one of the best and most unique consoles around. :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 am

If your into arcade style games the Saturn is a must.
Thanks to the 4 meg cartridge later Capcom games such as Vampire Saviour and X-men Vs SF are arcade perfect, even SNK games are much better than there Playstation counterparts.
Shmups are in no short supply, games such as Batsugun and Battle Garegga are simply fantastic and are worth tracking down.
Treasure also released classics like Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun which really show off what the Saturn can do.
Sega also supported it with many fantastic games such as NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thl

Post by thl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:40 am

ShadowMan wrote:If your into arcade style games the Saturn is a must.
Thanks to the 4 meg cartridge later Capcom games such as Vampire Saviour and X-men Vs SF are arcade perfect, even SNK games are much better than there Playstation counterparts.
That's right. Compared to the Playstation conversion which lacked so many features including the tag mode.

Also not to forget Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Such a superb light gun game especially in two player mode. Decathlete is another fun sports game if you're into a lot of classic button-bashing type.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:55 am

mikeb wrote:Dragon Force.
Yes! This one!

Dragon Force is one of my favourite Saturn games, and is still fun to play these days. It's popular, but not insanely so like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun, expect to pay £30+ on ebay.

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 am

mikeb wrote:Don't get one if you want to play 3D games.. stick to Sony hardware :)
Yes, buy a PS1 if you want to play 3D games like Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Burning Rangers, House Of The Dead... oh, hang on. ;)
Decathlete
Or Athlete Kings, as you'll find it in PAL-land. The most fun to be had with a friend and your fingers since... well, I think we'll probably leave that there.

It's slightly-shonkier sequel Winter Heat is good for a two-player-a-thon too.

My AK javelin record is 94.99m, beat that!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 am

thl wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:If your into arcade style games the Saturn is a must.
That's right. Compared to the Playstation conversion which lacked so many features including the tag mode.

Also not to forget Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Such a superb light gun game especially in two player mode. Decathlete is another fun sports game if you're into a lot of classic button-bashing type.
I remember reading a review of X-men Vs SF for the Playstation and couldn't understand how the game worked without a tag feature!
The Vs games were really wasted on the Playstation, removing the awesome tag feature and in its place added slowdown (unbearable in X VS SF) and long load times!

Makes me wonder what happened to Marvel Super Heroes. Its really the only bad Capcom port that was released for the Saturn. Still missing animation, loads of slowdown and long load times (It seemed pretty much identical to the Playstation version, better but not by very much)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Old Skool Gamer

Post by Old Skool Gamer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:16 am

loved my saturn with tomb raider

wish i kept my old consoles
My Consoles

Playstation 1
Xbox 360
Psp PHAT with 3.71 m33 cfw

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:27 am

Tunnel B1 was rather wonderful on Saturn, as was Exhumed, Virtua Racing collection was a real grin, and why does nobody ever mention the awesome Shining Force, the last great top down RPG, there was also the fabulous Phantasy Star Collection if you are going down the import route. Virtua On and Retrun Fire along with Lunar make it an absolute must have console, imo.
Just where is Mickey T?

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 am

Muteki wrote:
mikeb wrote:Don't get one if you want to play 3D games.. stick to Sony hardware :)
Yes, buy a PS1 if you want to play 3D games like Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Burning Rangers, House Of The Dead... oh, hang on. ;)
Heh. You are right of course, but let's face it they are not visually up to par with say Tekken 2/3 or Time Crisis on the PS (even though they play fantastically well, Saturn HOTD being a partcular fave of mine, as well as the Saturn version of Dead or Alive, which is actually far better than on the PS. And Saturn Quake is fantastic).

For me though the Saturn's strength is definitely as a 2D platform, and these games are timeless, whereas polygon games tend to age. For someone looking for a technically arcade-comparable experience I'd say grab a Dreamcast and play the sequels instead.