What's the most beautiful game you ever played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Doomdarks revenge for me is so beautiful , the way the orange sky gives way to the dull of night as the day progesses was/is still really lovely !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Shenmue. I had never seen a gameworld so fully realised. Truly stunning.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:10 pm

SirClive wrote:weirdo's
Weirdos or not, it's Bombjack all the way for me & my new Bombjack 64 playing buddy!

:D
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

Spudhead

Post by Spudhead » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Another World on the Amiga - A mate showed me this and it was instrumental in getting me to upgrade my speccy.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:08 am

learnedrobb wrote:Shenmue. I had never seen a gameworld so fully realised. Truly stunning.
Agreed. The 1st game is untouchable in that respect. Nice day to night cycles, wonderful weather cycles and graphics that still look amazing even today. I personally felt when Ryo was in Hong Kong it lost a bit of what made it so stunning (though China looked amazing, the flowers and forests were a sight to behold). Hard to believe it was all done on a Dreamcast

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike is probably the other game that looks the best to me. Guilty Gear X is in higher rez, but its the fluid animation and wonderful characters that seal it for me. Dudley, Ken, Elena, Yun, Hugo, Twelve and so on, all of them looked awesome (either still or in motion)
Here's hoping SF4 raises the bar again.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:31 am

learnedrobb wrote:Shenmue. I had never seen a gameworld so fully realised. Truly stunning.
In this vein... Mafia.

hillelr

best looking game

Post by hillelr » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 am

Oblivion defenitly

Mr L

Post by Mr L » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 am

I always thought Trap Door was quite special for the spectrum - Big large colourful sprites and true to the tv show.

Gynoug was very nice to look at too. Dark and atmospheric but some menacing bosses.

Yoshis Island has my vote though, like someone else has said already its special the whole way through and still looks ace today.

Pikmin was a joy to play because of the visuals but I think that was more because they were so cute!

I must say Super Mario Galaxy is very charming. Refreshing to see that much colour in todays world of grey and brown.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:23 am

Depending on what era of gaming...

Sorcery+ on the CPC was amazing to look at, still love its looks now.
Mickey Mouse Castle Of Illusion on the Megadrive looks astonunding.
Wipeout on the PS1 blew me away when I seen it.
Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is beautiful in every way.
Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 looks really really nice.
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Assasins Creed you just spend ours admiring their beauty.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Post by * » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:For me it has to be Okami
That's an incredible looking game. I got it a couple of days ago and it took me 9 hours just to reach the first boss because I spent so much time looking at the scenery. You could print out and frame pretty much any random screen from that game and it would look like a piece of art. It makes Wind Waker look like Custher's Revenge.

Other games which I consider beautiful:

Super Mario Land (Gameboy Player)
Another World (Megadrive)
Silpheed (Mega CD)
Silent Hill (PS1)
R-Type 1&2 (PS1/arcade)
N2O (PS1)
Wipeout 2097 (PS1)
F-Zero X(N64)
Rez (PS2)
Gradius V (PS2)
Geometry Wars (Xbox)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
Tron 2.0 (Xbox) Looks stunning, but plays like crud, unfortunately
Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
PN03 (Gamecube)
Wipeout Pure Zone Mode (PSP)
Loco Roco (PSP)

This list is a bit long. I must be easily wowed. :lol:

I've had to disqualify ICO from the list, because the European version is 50Hz PAL only with stupid massive borders and flickery scanlines. I find that absolutely unacceptable considering that A) the PAL PS2 is perfectly capable of outputting an NTSC signal, and the game was origianlly programmed for NTSC, so it would have cost them nothing whatsoever to include a 60Hz option, and B) It was BLOODY SONY THEMSELVES who published the sodding thing.

I hate Sony. :x

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:21 am

The most beautiful games I've ever played:

Sonic (MD)
Sonic 2 (MD)
Spyro 2 (PS1)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Ratchet and Clank (PS2)
Mickey Mouse: World of Illusion (MD)
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:23 am

* wrote:I've had to disqualify ICO from the list, because the European version is 50Hz PAL only with stupid massive borders and flickery scanlines. I find that absolutely unacceptable considering that A) the PAL PS2 is perfectly capable of outputting an NTSC signal, and the game was origianlly programmed for NTSC, so it would have cost them nothing whatsoever to include a 60Hz option, and B) It was BLOODY SONY THEMSELVES who published the sodding thing.
Picture taken a few minutes ago on the EU PAL version of Ico I just finished playing last week:
(Apologies for poor quality)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:34 am

DOH..!!!
:D

Post by * » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
* wrote:I've had to disqualify ICO from the list, because the European version is 50Hz PAL only with stupid massive borders and flickery scanlines. I find that absolutely unacceptable considering that A) the PAL PS2 is perfectly capable of outputting an NTSC signal, and the game was origianlly programmed for NTSC, so it would have cost them nothing whatsoever to include a 60Hz option, and B) It was BLOODY SONY THEMSELVES who published the sodding thing.
Picture taken a few minutes ago on the EU PAL version of Ico I just finished playing last week:
WTF? :shock:
How did you get it to do that? :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:23 am

You get it the first time you start, immediately following the language selection. Subsequent startups must use a saved config, as it doesn't ask again. I removed my memory card to get that shot.

Do remember that Ico was reissued, so it could be a variation brought in on later copies, though I have no idea if mine is an original or reissue as I bought it used.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.