What's the most beautiful game you ever played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: What's the most beautiful game you ever played?

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:22 am

Megamixer wrote:
Yakuza/Yakuza 2 (PS2): Yep, Shenmue did the whole 'believable world' thing before Yakuza but I've never played those games so this was the first time that I found myself absorbed in a living, breathing city that I never wanted to leave.
Check out Yakuza 3 on the PS3 if you liked the graphics for the first 2, it looks even better still thanks to the newer hardware. They also ditched the static camera and went with a behind the character viewpoint so you really get to admire all the detail of the city. Kenzan is pretty damn amazing to look at as well and really draws you into the game.

Nicest looking game I've ever played might well be King of Fighters XII. Graphically it looks incredible and the fluid animations really bring the characters and backgrounds to life. In my opinion its the slickest looking 2D fighter to date.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:26 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Yakuza/Yakuza 2 (PS2): Yep, Shenmue did the whole 'believable world' thing before Yakuza but I've never played those games so this was the first time that I found myself absorbed in a living, breathing city that I never wanted to leave.
Check out Yakuza 3 on the PS3 if you liked the graphics for the first 2, it looks even better still thanks to the newer hardware. They also ditched the static camera and went with a behind the character viewpoint so you really get to admire all the detail of the city.
Ugh...I would but I'd have to use the translation right? How does that work anyway - I mean, do you have to keep up with what's been said on screen by reading from a page at the same time?

Also, I thought I heard a rumour that it was coming over here after all. I doubt it's true but even if it get's an English-language release in the US, that'll be enough given the PS3's region-freeness.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 am

Megamixer wrote: Ugh...I would but I'd have to use the translation right? How does that work anyway - I mean, do you have to keep up with what's been said on screen by reading from a page at the same time?

Also, I thought I heard a rumour that it was coming over here after all. I doubt it's true but even if it get's an English-language release in the US, that'll be enough given the PS3's region-freeness.
I just read ahead with an FAQ and then watch the events unfold on screen so to speak. I still doubt those rumours about Yakuza 3 getting an English translation are true. Until Sega themselves anounce it that is. Its a bit of gip missing out on the little odd bits of text (I always loved overhearing the chatter of other people when I wondered round the city).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:45 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Ugh...I would but I'd have to use the translation right? How does that work anyway - I mean, do you have to keep up with what's been said on screen by reading from a page at the same time?

I just read ahead with an FAQ and then watch the events unfold on screen so to speak. I still doubt those rumours about Yakuza 3 getting an English translation are true. Until Sega themselves anounce it that is. Its a bit of gip missing out on the little odd bits of text (I always loved overhearing the chatter of other people when I wondered round the city).
Hmm...I suppose that's not too bad but it just doesn't sound as immersive to me (if you understand where I'm coming from). I might give it a go but I still have hope for a Western release - I mean, look how long it took Sega to release the second game over here.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:33 am

Layer Section, especially the bit where you dive through the clouds at the start of stage 3.